Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no climax

said-that-she-did.jpg

Dune is in the Top 100 I'd say. Man, best film of 21st? I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on that one. Inception, The Last Samurai, Collateral and Interstellar are up there for me. I'm at a point in life where there is just so much content and I am worn on the amount consumed over the years. But I've convinced myself that Apocalypse Now is the greatest film ever made.
Can't argue with Apocalypse Now. As far as I'm concerned it is the greatest movie ever made.
I haven't watched the last version yet, but I prefer the original to the Redux. I like the French plantation and the stop-over with the Playmates scenes, which are quite good and add to the idea of descending into the heart of darkness, but the extended scenes of Willard stealing Kilgore's surfboard didn't work for me. I think those scenes try to make him more likeable, more human, and that doesn't quite work for me.

But Paul has no character arc, he doesn't grow or change. Look at a basic '1st part' movies like Sorcerer's Stone or A New Hope, Harry learns some spells and defeats the bad guy, Luke learns about the Force and blows up the Death Star. But in Dune, Paul doesn't learn any new skills, he doesn't conquer the antagonist. He's already a master swordsman, so you can't go anywhere from there in terms of learning new skills. Even with The Voice towards the end, in the escape from the Harkonnens, it got a bit better, but his mom still had to be the one to rescue him.

If the main plotline was about Paul finding Chani, and there was some prophecy that these two were going to conquer the galaxy, that ending might have made sense, but that wasn't what the movie was about, it seemed to be the subplot. The first movie seemed to be about the fall of the House Atreides, but that would mean to resolve that plot line, Paul would need to restore his family name, which he didn't.

Part One was like if A New Hope ends with Luke and Obi-Wan meeting Han then fighting off a bunch of Stormtroopers and blasting off for Alderaan to rescue Princess Leia ... and that's all you get.

Maybe to people who have read the book, the movie made sense, but for those of us who aren't familiar with the source material, the story was weak.
It's a good point that knowledge of the book helps understand what's going on, but I don't think it's necessary...

As for Paul's arc, there's no way you can fulfil it in the first movie, and he does have a progression, but it's closer to Luke's in ESB. Paul doesn't start the story as a well-meaning bumbling apprentice, either in the novel or the film. He's the heir to one of the most powerful houses in the Empire, so he's already well-trained and resourceful from the start, but is put in a dire and almost impossible situation where he has to acquire new skills, new allies and makes new realisations about himself and his role.

Can't argue with Apocalypse Now. As far as I'm concerned it is the greatest movie ever made.
I haven't watched the last version yet, but I prefer the original to the Redux. I like the French plantation and the stop-over with the Playmates scenes, which are quite good and add to the idea of descending into the heart of darkness, but the extended scenes of Willard stealing Kilgore's surfboard didn't work for me. I think those scenes try to make him more likeable, more human, and that doesn't quite work for me.

It's so good. SOOOO good. I saw "The Final Cut" in IMAX last year. What a ride. The helicopter raid scene was one of the best experiences I've ever had in a theater....heart pounding, you can really feel the audio right in the testes.

I hated the plantation scene though. Should have been left on the cutting room floor. Just killed the momentum of the movie. The only difference I noticed between Final Cut and Redux was they removed the Playmates downed helicopter in the rain scene.

Honestly, neither of those scenes are essential, so maybe the theatrical cut really is the best. I bought the big bluray set that has every version, but I haven't watched any of them straight through yet cause it'll just never be as good as seeing it in IMAX was.

Apocalypse Now is my go-to movie for arguing about why CGI can never truly replace practical effects. The fact that those were REAL helicopters and REAL giant explosions spewing REAL fireballs....no rubbery, shiny cartoon crap can ever match that.

The name wasn’t good. Agreed. Live, Die, Repeat was much better but the movie suffered from bad advertising and didn’t do well at the box office. It’s definitely a “cult” movie where there are fans like myself that know the true value of the movie. * These are my opinions and nothing more.*

What’s good about it!?! Everything I mentioned. Good character development, good dialogue, it’s funny in places and the humor is great, has good action sequences, the monsters are cool looking, the concept of the movie was awesome, fast paced, good casting roles…what else does a good film need? It hit on all bases as far as I’m concerned. It remains one of my all time favorites!! and I’ve got Scarlett’s Studios Exo skeletons with figures on the shelf!!
Awful name tho.

I don't get the appeal of that film. A few people on this forum love that film. I just don't see what's so good about it.

The name wasn’t good. Agreed. Live, Die, Repeat was much better but the movie suffered from bad advertising and didn’t do well at the box office. It’s definitely a “cult” movie where there are fans like myself that know the true value of the movie. * These are my opinions and nothing more.*

What’s good about it!?! Everything I mentioned. Good character development, good dialogue, it’s funny in places and the humor is great, has good action sequences, the monsters are cool looking, the concept of the movie was awesome, fast paced, good casting roles…what else does a good film need? It hit on all bases as far as I’m concerned. It remains one of my all time favorites!! and I’ve got Scarlett’s Studios Exo skeletons with figures on the shelf!!

I like Edge of Tomorrow.

I was talking about The Witch. That's the one I don't like that some people her love, and I don't get it.

Love the Witch.
Lots of atmosphere, great acting, great cinematography. Very unsettling. It's what a Lovecraft movie should be like, but people keep obsessing about the monsters, instead of going for the dread.

Finally saw it.
9/10: Denis is the new master of sci fi and original on screen world building.

As a fan of the books, it left out alot, and changed a bit…but all the squeeze alot of story into a small space. The battles went on just long enough to satisfy, without taking away from the character development. (unlike Shang Chi)

Like BR2049, visual feast, audio orgasm. The timed wails of the main theme for Paul gave me the giddies.

The only downside, was the way they cut it. But thats where its cut in the books as well, so he was doing honor to how the book is arrainged.

My only serious complaint was the lack of the Harkkonons. As the main plotters against the Atreitisis , they had almost no screen time, and the relationship between the Baron and Pieter, then with his nephew was seriously stunted. The baron is relegated to a very minor role in the taking of Arakus, and thats a bad setup for the second half of the story. Plus seemed like a waste of great actors….

Loved Isaac as the Duke, and LOVED the relationship between Paul and his Mom, as thats a central part to the books.

Would have liked to see more Stilgar, and wish they killed the Doctor how it went down in the books…..

We need the 4 hour cut.

I watched this when it first came out, and I DID like it, but my ambien kicked in around the last third of the movie and I couldn't really remember it.

So since I was all alone on Christmas, as usual, I sat down and rewatched the whole thing, with no sleeping agents clouding my mind.

I really liked it. I liked the cast, I liked the set design and costumes and cinematography. Having a better idea of who the characters were helped, too. It was a nicely compacted version for the masses. Dumbed down enough to be understandable, but not SUPER dumb like they make everything.

Well, there were a few moments of super dumb that I hated......when Jason Momoa sacrifices himself and locks the door, it couldn't be more obvious to anyone that doesn't have severe brain damage that he's locked the door. But because this is still Hollywood, just seeing Paul futilely slamming his hand against the door isn't enough; his mom had to say OUT LOUD "He locked the door!!" for the few truly retarded people in the audience. Really? Come on......REALLY?

Siiiiigh. Hollywood sucks.

Anyway, I officially like DUNC. Hope the world survives long enough for us to see DUNC 2. It's seriously going to be a 3-4 year wait. Who knows what state the world will be in by then??

Anyway, I officially like DUNC. Hope the world survives long enough for us to see DUNC 2. It's seriously going to be a 3-4 year wait. Who knows what state the world will be in by then??
It's shooting July 2022 with a 2023 release date last I heard. So technically a 2 year wait.

And the third and final one?
You're assuming that they'll make it that far. DUNC didn't exactly do gangbusters. It reached around 400Mil IIRC, which is good enough, but considering the budget, the 2nd needs to do much better for them to get to Messiah.

Back