Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I think you misunderstood. I said BEST of the 21st century, not most overrated. :monkey3
That's a fun discussion too in what films are most overrated. Goodfellas is one of the most overrated films of all time for me. The super fake laugh scene I'll never forget. Plus, I don't like the art house small budget crap. I can't get through that stuff.

It's a really good question and I'm stumped.

Last century it was Gone with the Wind which got usurped by The Godfather once the generations changed. Lawrence of Arabia was up there as was Citizen Kane. For most of my life those 4 films have always been up in everyone's Top 10 or even 5.

But this century so far... I'm not even aware of the contenders.

It's a really good question and I'm stumped.

Last century it was Gone with the Wind which got usurped by The Godfather once the generations changed. Lawrence of Arabia was up there as was Citizen Kane. For most of my life those 4 films have always been up in everyone's Top 10 or even 5.

But this century so far... I'm not even aware of the contenders.
Wor I'm sure you'll remember quickly, but what was that long epic movie that was in Russia, he was rich and economy went to crap after or before the war and he seemed to be on the run. I remember he was on a train.

Doctor Zhivago?
giphy.gif

Doctor Zhivago?

EDIT: jinx -- 1, 2, 3... you lose.
Ah yes. Can't believe I forgot the name. That's honestly my favorite old movie before the 70's. In my Top 10 for sure. Well done fellas.

David Lean, master filmmaker. My favorite of his is Bridge on the River Kwai. He did Lawrence of course too.

BTW, I watched Shang-Chi tonight. What a waste of a good two hours that could have been wasted here. I used to look forward to MCU movies, now I just roll my eyes.

Hollywood today with their CGI non-sense. Real on-set locations can never be truly replicated digitally. Hence why Bond is such a big deal for like 50 years now. The immersion is truly there when captured with a premier cinematographer/director.

Yeah, these movies are feeling more and more like bad studio/blue screen movies of the 50's.

I think some day, not too far from now, we'll look back and laugh how bad this all looks. Like those old Disney movies from the 60's with Dean Jones and every close-up is shot inside a studio with a terrible rear-screen projection where the lighting never quite matches and the wind-in-the-hair is never there.

Edge of Tomorrow aka Live, Die, Repeat is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. It’s humorous, has great character development, great action, cool monsters, awesome effects, great concept and a helluva cool ending. With as many times as I’ve seen it has very few flaws if any.
Other favorites:
Apocalypse Now Redux
The VVitch
Dredd
Inception
Alien
Kelly’s Hero’s
Hardcore Henry
Collateral
*True Stories* you have to be in the correct frame of mind in order to get it. *and when you do holy crap it’s amazing!*
I could list a few other but those are some from my favorites list.

Edge of Tomorrow aka Live, Die, Repeat is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. It’s humorous, has great character development, great action, cool monsters, awesome effects, great concept and a helluva cool ending. With as many times as I’ve seen it has very few flaws if any.
Other favorites:
Apocalypse Now Redux
The VVitch
Dredd
Inception
Alien
Kelly’s Hero’s
Hardcore Henry
Collateral
*True Stories* you have to be in the correct frame of mind in order to get it. *and when you do holy crap it’s amazing!*
I could list a few other but those are some from my favorites list.

I don't get the appeal of that film. A few people on this forum love that film. I just don't see what's so good about it.

Back