Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol

Dune Part 2 will open with Paul and the Fremen overthrowing the Harkonnens then the remaining two hours will just be him walking around the palace and discussing nursery colors with Chani.

Squeak squeak, zzzzzzz, lol.
Chani from the hood be like “wuts up bitches where my sand at”

FD60B77E-01F4-436B-A6A9-80A96AB636E3.jpeg

She always looks constipated. Not a good look for a girl. Unless.... wait a minute..!
Seriously, I keep hearing she’s this amazing actor and I just see her do the “unbothered ***** face” thing

I think you guys are too set in your blockbuster-sequelitis ways...
There's nothing wrong with the ending, it's a cliffhanger, just like any other cliffhanger.
Paul's showdown with Jamis is pivotal in the movie to show that he will be accepted and respected by the Fremen, and is also a sort of "coming of age" for Paul, as he kills a man for the first time, setting the stage for his take-over of the Fremen and the Jihad that is to follow.
And there's also a whole of action and intrigue to come in Part 2...

But Paul has no character arc, he doesn't grow or change. Look at a basic '1st part' movies like Sorcerer's Stone or A New Hope, Harry learns some spells and defeats the bad guy, Luke learns about the Force and blows up the Death Star. But in Dune, Paul doesn't learn any new skills, he doesn't conquer the antagonist. He's already a master swordsman, so you can't go anywhere from there in terms of learning new skills. Even with The Voice towards the end, in the escape from the Harkonnens, it got a bit better, but his mom still had to be the one to rescue him.

If the main plotline was about Paul finding Chani, and there was some prophecy that these two were going to conquer the galaxy, that ending might have made sense, but that wasn't what the movie was about, it seemed to be the subplot. The first movie seemed to be about the fall of the House Atreides, but that would mean to resolve that plot line, Paul would need to restore his family name, which he didn't.

Part One was like if A New Hope ends with Luke and Obi-Wan meeting Han then fighting off a bunch of Stormtroopers and blasting off for Alderaan to rescue Princess Leia ... and that's all you get.

Maybe to people who have read the book, the movie made sense, but for those of us who aren't familiar with the source material, the story was weak.

I enjoyed the movie as a whole. I don’t care to nitpick on tiny details. You can’t please all the people all the time. I totally enjoyed it and wanted more when it was over. A nice remake from David Lynch’s old film from back in the day. I thought it rocked and was glad to get to see it.

Where does DUNE rank among the films made in the 21st century? What is the best film of the 21st Century, so far?

And please, do not bring up any silly Snyder films or films with hobbits, wizards, or super heroes. In other words, no theme park rides. 😏

Where does DUNE rank among the films made in the 21st century? What is the best film of the 21st Century, so far?

And please, do not bring up any silly Snyder films or films with hobbits, wizards, or super heroes. In other words, no theme park rides. 😏
Dune is in the Top 100 I'd say. Man, best film of 21st? I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on that one. Inception, The Last Samurai, Collateral and Interstellar are up there for me. I'm at a point in life where there is just so much content and I am worn on the amount consumed over the years. But I've convinced myself that Apocalypse Now is the greatest film ever made.

Dune is in the Top 100 I'd say.

There's been 100 Top tier films in the last 20 years? That would be 5 masterpieces every year. Or do you just mean its in the top 100 of all films?

Plus, either way, not much of a compliment to Dune. :lol

I have no idea what the BEST FILM of the last 20 YEARS is.

Wrong Marlon Brando film. 🤭

Mine is The Godfather, from the 20th century.

21st, not sure. Maybe There Will be Blood.
Well I haven't watched every film ever made and have a selective bias. Seen some of The Godfather, but not all of it.
There's been 100 Top tier films in the last 20 years? That would be 5 masterpieces every year. Or do you just mean its in the top 100 of all films?

Plus, either way, not much of a compliment to Dune. :lol

I have no idea what the BEST FILM of the last 20 YEARS is.
Top 100 in the last 21 years. I looked at lists before I posted, there is certainly a lot of quality out there. I like top notch performances, but not from an ensemble, but a select few that headline the movie. Delve into the characters, go on a unique journey and deliver something with human spirit. Collateral felt like that for me.

I'm quite certain you can come up with the Best 10 Films for any year, but that doesn't necessarily mean every year has 10 truly Great films.

I would imagine most years are lucky to get 2-3 truly great movies -- the kind of movies that last generations. Of course, that's wildly subjective.

Boyhood would have to be a contender for me.

Back