Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear Spidey shows up in the Matrix.

He has to help Neo stop Darth Vader who has amassed an army inside a rocket-base volcano as they dig for the Ark of the Covenant.

I think the lack of a satisfying climax is a pretty staggering error. What the hell was Denis thinking. People complained about the MCU having 20+ films that seemingly just teased the next one but at least they all had *actual endings* in and of themselves. Same for ANH, ESB, TPM, AOTC, TFA, TLJ, all the Harry Potter films, FOTR, TTT, and on and on and on. Other book adaptations that split single books into two parts were still able to concoct some sense of resolution at the end of the first parts.

Hell even splitting the Hobbit into *three* movies PJ still gave us an ending after AUJ and DOS and that was even knowing that people just had a relatively short 12 month wait between chapters.

I think the lack of a satisfying climax is a pretty staggering error. What the hell was Denis thinking. People complained about the MCU having 20+ films that seemingly just teased the next one but at least they all had *actual endings* in and of themselves. Same for ANH, ESB, TPM, AOTC, TFA, TLJ, all the Harry Potter films, FOTR, TTT, and on and on and on. Other book adaptations that split single books into two parts were still able to concoct some sense of resolution at the end of the first parts.

Hell even splitting the Hobbit into *three* movies PJ still gave us an ending after AUJ and DOS and that was even knowing that people just had a relatively short 12 month wait between chapters.
I ended Cannibal Campout on a cliffhanger
:yess:

One hour of trudging through sand mostly is no way to end a movie.

Like I said, Denis trapped himself by relying on Chani to give a sense of closure to "Chapter 1".
And he still could have closed with Chani's look matching Paul's vision but after an actually satisfying battle/victory compared to that relatively minor and bloodless duel between Paul and Jamis.

And he still could have closed with Chani's look matching Paul's vision but after an actually satisfying battle/victory compared to that relatively minor and bloodless duel between Paul and Jamis.

Yeah, no I know... definitely should have compressed Harkonnen's take-over with Paul's escape into the desert.

Yeah and since he already changed Kynes' death to be that epic moment where she calls the worm just combine that scene with Paul and his mom escaping. Have the worm sense the thopter crash then come swallow it and the guys screaming inside as Paul and Jessica narrowly escape or something while that is simultaneously occurring between an even more epic Harkonnen invasion like you said.

Maybe forget Chani altogether for this first chapter and have the last shot be Paul and his mom looking at the burning city and then turning to head into the desert.

Yeah and since he already changed Kynes' death to be that epic moment where she calls the worm just combine that scene with Paul and his mom escaping. Have the worm sense the thopter crash then come swallow it and the guys screaming inside as Paul and Jessica narrowly escape or something while that is simultaneously occurring between an even more epic Harkonnen invasion like you said.

Maybe forget Chani altogether for this first chapter and have the last shot be Paul and his mom looking at the burning city and then turning to head into the desert.

Exactly!!!!

If he really felt he needed to have Paul meet Chani, then I suggested them quickly being surrounded by Javier's Freeman and Paul locks eyes with his vision Chani in the flesh.

BAM! The end.

I'm glad we can solve these multi-million dollar blunders.

The thing is, he's a pretentious ********* and obviously harbouring a grudge against Gunn.
Batista? Wasn't he the first one or probably the only one that defended Gunn and spoke against the mouse? I would think Mickey and co. have a grudge against Drax.

Batista? Wasn't he the first one or probably the only one that defended Gunn and spoke against the mouse? I would think Mickey and co. have a grudge against Drax.
I'm not talking about the Twitter drama (not to go off-topic but I don't think Gunn's tweets were just "good ol' humor", there are things you just don't say; guess he's lucky he was in the "proper side" of politics). Bautista's mad Drax got stuck as le funny big guy and has been going for years that he doesn't like the role, doesn't care to return, etc. I get it, I don't like goofy Drax either and prefer Space Kratos, but he's making himself look like a pretentious **** with all of his "oh yeah, this here be a REAL role, for a REAL actor, not like that OTHER thing". I understand, he's trying to not be typecast and branch out. But it's embarassing. Maybe he's mad at Gunn, maybe he's mad at DisMarvel, whatever. It's his behaviour that does him more harm than good.

I think it is pretty clear why it didn't end with a satisfying climax - so a sequel will get made. Guess how the next one will end...

I think you guys are too set in your blockbuster-sequelitis ways...
There's nothing wrong with the ending, it's a cliffhanger, just like any other cliffhanger.
Paul's showdown with Jamis is pivotal in the movie to show that he will be accepted and respected by the Fremen, and is also a sort of "coming of age" for Paul, as he kills a man for the first time, setting the stage for his take-over of the Fremen and the Jihad that is to follow.
And there's also a whole of action and intrigue to come in Part 2...

Nah the stakes felt flat because the fremen were just lifeless in their presentation.

The lady crying while handing over the knife to Jessica made no sense

All world building and no climax makes Dune a dull boy.

Back