Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is not at all repulsed by it. I know of lots of people who have met him on the street and have found him perfectly willing to chat about Doctor Who. It's just that professionally he has moved on. His words are that he doesn't "bathe in the same river twice". The man just wasn't interested. He met with Steven Moffat. He considered it. But he ultimately turned it down because it just didn't fit with what he was doing. But to say he is repulsed by Doctor Who is complete off. He is very proud of the work he did with the show.

That being said, I really wish he had found the time to at least do the regeneration scene with Hurt. :(

I think you have to have real problems to not just take a day or 2 to film a very important scene that a big part of your fans base would want. He's either holding a grudge or he wants to get paid. I don't buy the "everything is kosher he just didn't have the time."

Does anyone have any insider info on Eccleston's issues with DW? It's a real bummer to seem him so repulsed by it. I know it had something to do with "politics" but really what the hell is his deal? :cuss

Basically what I have gleaned from the whole situation is this:

1) There were people on the production team who were treating others who were lower on the totem pole very badly. He felt the atmosphere wasn't professional and he wanted to leverage them into getting rid of certain people by threatening to leave.
2) At this same time his mother was very ill so he dropped everything to be with her. Meanwhile they kept pressing him to make a decision and he pressed them to agree to his terms.
3) While he was still away, those in charge decided to recast the Doctor behind his back and they announced it publicly before they had even discussed it with Eccleston. Basically blind sided him. Complete lack of professional courtesy.

I always heard he went into it saying he only wanted 1 year and did the show as a favor, in other words, he "slummed it" and felt the show itself was beneath him.

I always heard he went into it saying he only wanted 1 year and did the show as a favor, in other words, he "slummed it" and felt the show itself was beneath him.

You heard wrong. He had big hopes for Doctor Who and envisioned it as being a bit more gritty and edgy ala the Battlestar Galactica reboot. He thought it would be a slow sale for an audience and was completely gobsmacked when it took off the way it did. His contract was for one season with options to do more if the show found an audience. Which it did.

Incidentally, Peter Capaldi is also only signed on for one series. Do you think he is "slumming it"?

You heard wrong. He had big hopes for Doctor Who and envisioned it as being a bit more gritty and edgy ala the Battlestar Galactica reboot. He thought it would be a slow sale for an audience and was completely gobsmacked when it took off the way it did. His contract was for one season with options to do more if the show found an audience. Which it did.

Incidentally, Peter Capaldi is also only signed on for one series. Do you think he is "slumming it"?

How many seasons was Smith or Tennant signed for? Is it not standard to sign them to 1 years as a trial to see how it fairs?

As for Capaldi, he's slumming it out of the fact that he actually likes the show so its not slumming. Its like guys who like fat chicks don't see it as slumming.

He is not at all repulsed by it. I know of lots of people who have met him on the street and have found him perfectly willing to chat about Doctor Who. It's just that professionally he has moved on. His words are that he doesn't "bathe in the same river twice". The man just wasn't interested. He met with Steven Moffat. He considered it. But he ultimately turned it down because it just didn't fit with what he was doing. But to say he is repulsed by Doctor Who is complete off. He is very proud of the work he did with the show.

That being said, I really wish he had found the time to at least do the regeneration scene with Hurt. :(

Yeah, it was strange hearing how much he appreciated his time with the series and the impression it left on the kids and such while at the same time apparently refusing to have the least bit to do with the show after his run considering how important he was toward making it stick.

The "never bathe in the same river" comes off as a polite blow off though.

Basically what I have gleaned from the whole situation is this:

1) There were people on the production team who were treating others who were lower on the totem pole very badly. He felt the atmosphere wasn't professional and he wanted to leverage them into getting rid of certain people by threatening to leave.
2) At this same time his mother was very ill so he dropped everything to be with her. Meanwhile they kept pressing him to make a decision and he pressed them to agree to his terms.
3) While he was still away, those in charge decided to recast the Doctor behind his back and they announced it publicly before they had even discussed it with Eccleston. Basically blind sided him. Complete lack of professional courtesy.

Now that would go a long way to explain it. It always felt like he was affected very personally while at the same time trying to protect all parties involved. I really hope that short of selling the souls of their first born, the show's management team did whatever they could to get him back. He's more elusive than McGann! :horror

I my opinion I think that the reason Eccelston quit is that he didn't mesh with the show's working environment.

Eccelson has always stuck me as a very professional actor. He just wants to come in and do his job without any hassle.

But the impression I have gotten from the behind the scenes stuff in the RTD era was that it was a very relaxed working environment with everyone being close friends with eachother. This no doubt leads to atleast some wasted time joking around and hanging out. Considering that Eccelston's prioritization of work combined with a slighty awkward personality distanced himself from the otherwise close cast and crew; he was most likely not able to enjoy this relaxed attitude and felt that the crew were unprofessional and wasting his time. Especially given the demanding schedule of filming, any wasted time must have annoyed him considerably.

I read once in an interview with John Barrowman that seems to confirm this. He said that while him and Tennant are good friends that spend alot of time together, Eccelston always kind of kept to himself and never wanted to hang out.

I never understood the ill-will towards Eccelston. I would have LOVED for him to come back, but he didn't. Whatever his reasons, it was his choice. He was a fantastic Doctor. Here's exactly what he said about his reasons for leaving the show, to an acting master class at the Theater Royal Haymarket:

“I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up, around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.

“I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of ****. I’m not being funny about that. I didn’t want to do that and it comes to the art of it, in a way. I feel that if you run your career and– we are vulnerable as actors and we are constantly humiliating ourselves auditioning. But if you allow that to go on, on a grand scale you will lose whatever it is about you and it will be present in your work.

“If you allow your desire to be successful and visible and financially secure – if you allow that to make you throw shades on your parents, on your upbringing, then you’re knackered. You’ve got to keep something back, for yourself, because it’ll be present in your work. A purity or an idealism is essential or you’ll become– you’ve got to have standards, no matter how hard work that is. So it makes it a hard road, really.

“You know, it’s easy to find a job when you’ve got no morals, you’ve got nothing to be compromised, you can go, ‘Yeah, yeah. That doesn’t matter. That director can bully that prop man and I won’t say anything about it’. But then when that director comes to you and says ‘I think you should play it like this’ you’ve surely got to go ‘How can I respect you, when you behave like that?’

“So, that’s why I left. My face didn’t fit and I’m sure they were glad to see the back of me. The important thing is that I succeeded. It was a great part. I loved playing him. I loved connecting with that audience. Because I’ve always acted for adults and then suddenly you’re acting for children, who are far more tasteful; they will not be bull****ted. It’s either good, or it’s bad. They don’t schmooze at after-show parties, with cocktails.”

And here's his message to fans (read by someone else, he wasn't there) at BFI's screening of some of his episodes during the Doctor Who @ 50 event:

I love the BFI. I love the Doctor and hope you enjoy this presentation. Joe Ahearne directed five of the 13 episodes of the first series. He understood the tone the show needed completely – strong, bold, pacy visuals coupled with wit, warmth and a twinkle in the performances, missus.
If Joe agrees to direct the 100th anniversary special, I will bring my sonic and a stair-lift and – providing the Daleks don’t bring theirs – I, the ninth Doctor, vow to save the universe and all you apes in it.

Thank you for posting that. I couldn't remember where I had read that and Google is no help. :lol

I personally think Eccleston is a real class act.

Also from that piece...

You know, it’s easy to find a job when you’ve got no morals, you’ve got nothing to be compromised, you can go, ‘Yeah, yeah. That doesn’t matter. That director can bully that prop man and I won’t say anything about it’. But then when that director comes to you and says ‘I think you should play it like this’ you’ve surely got to go ‘How can I respect you, when you behave like that?’

...an attempt - I think - to show some of the things that made him decide against a second series, in a hypothetical form at least.

He was a great Doctor though and rightly deserves the kudos for being the new face of the successfully relaunched show. Many folks seem to focus on the chemistry between Tennant and Piper, somehow ignoring the fact that that exact same chemistry was there between Ecclestone and Piper. Their most immediate valuable asset at that time was that they managed to capture that same proverbial 'lightning-in-a-bottle' twice.

I am looking forward to BCS's Ecclestone figure and will put the Sig Ed version on immediate PO, when it eventually goes live.

In the end, I wasn't there. I can't say one way or the other if Davies was right or Ecclestone.

The people running the show now are a different production team and it would have been nice if he had returned, but it would have meant no John Hurt and he was very good.

I'm not a fan of Eccleston, i don't know if it was his portrayal or the way it was written, BUT if it hadn't been for him i doubt Doctor Who would've still be going.

Thank God. I hate half series/seasons for shows. If it's one storyline (usually the companion story), keep it in one series.

Back