Doctor Strange potential figure discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh? I was getting mixed reports on that since EW is being coy with info. But I guess that means they just copied and pasted Mordos sort of character to a new one, or most likely possession.

There's this article that talks about it too

Doctor Strange: Chiwetel Ejiofor 'incredibly excited' about upcoming Marvel movie | EW.com

Ejiofor can’t elaborate further, but Marvel did provide some insight on his role during Disney’s D23 fan expo: the 38-year-old will play Baron Mordo in the new movie from director Scott Derrickson, which arrives in theaters in 2016.

Cumberbatch has nailed the look, he's exactly what I imagined and hoped for. The figure could be a winner if they get the likeness right.

Going to be sad to see them butcher that cape. They'll probably do a hell of a job getting all the details on it too.

Love the costume. Glad they went with the classic Ditko design rather than the modern boring one. Get at it Hot Toys!

Love the costume. Glad they went with the classic Ditko design rather than the modern boring one. Get at it Hot Toys!

You mean this one? Because I was afraid they'd use this one, but i'm sure they'll save it for a sequel.

dr_strange_black_costume_by_carstenbiernat-d67jtfv.jpg

Yup that one. And that ridiculous hipster haircut. Hope they never use any of it.

You mean this one? Because I was afraid they'd use this one, but i'm sure they'll save it for a sequel.

View attachment 232945

While I do enjoy this suit, sans the hairstyle, I am glad they went classic Ditko. I could see this suit though, as being his "sorcerer-in-training" look when he's first learning the ways of the mystic arts.

To be fair the suit isn't the Ditko suit. The collar is smaller, there's no gold, the gloves and the shash are missing. If anything, it's the ANAD look:

10-14-2015-68.jpg

The best way to describe it is a mix between the Ditko design (temples, smaller but still noticeable collar) and the new suit (leather belt instead of shash and no gloves).

To be fair the suit isn't the Ditko suit. The collar is smaller, there's no gold, the gloves and the shash are missing. If anything, it's the ANAD The best way to describe it is a mix between the Ditko design (temples, smaller but still noticeable collar) and the new suit (leather belt instead of shash and no gloves).

I think when people speak of this being Ditko, they only mean that it embraces classic Ditko elements to create a classic look and feel of the character. The "All New and All Different" Doctor Strange in the comics right now is doing the same thing and is also inspired by Ditko. I think the movie costume we see in these photos is a faithful interpretation of Classic Doctor Strange for a completely different medium than comics in which Ditko first brought the character to life. Even the most "faithful" interpretations of costumes in the Marvel movies never tried to reproduce the comic book designs down to every detail, rather they embraced key elements from the comic versions to bring us entirely new designs which evoke a look and feel which honors the source material. Marvel has done it again.

I don't think anyone really wanted this...
0885541a3dfec1c1e305a1e7e791c081.jpg
Don't get me wrong, that's a fantastic cosplay. But that doesn't fit in the look and feel of the MCU.

I think when people speak of this being Ditko, they only mean that it embraces classic Ditko elements to create a classic look and feel of the character. The "All New and All Different" Doctor Strange in the comics right now is doing the same thing and is also inspired by Ditko. I think the movie costume we see in these photos is a faithful interpretation of Classic Doctor Strange for a completely different medium than comics in which Ditko first brought the character to life. Even the most "faithful" interpretations of costumes in the Marvel movies never tried to reproduce the comic book designs down to every detail, rather they embraced key elements from the comic versions to bring us entirely new designs which evoke a look and feel which honors the source material. Marvel has done it again.

View attachment 232971
Don't get me wrong, that's a fantastic cosplay. But that doesn't fit in the look and feel of the MCU.

TBH, I did want something along the lines of the cosplay image. The shash, the gloves, the huge collar, I loved that. Modern Strange is...well, a more modern version of the Ditko costume, and while I have no problem with that, it just isn't as "magnificent" as the classic one. I still love the Movie costume (it's right between practical and campy, which I really like) but I'd have liked to have seen the gloves at least (I can do without a shash and a smaller collar, but the gloves will be missed)...

Well said!!!!!

View attachment 232971

This to me is another movie where you really only get a one-off figure. It's possible they will do Mordo but I find it unlikely. I see it being like Ant Man where we get Strange PO and a possible proto for Mordo that won't get a PO.

This to me is another movie where you really only get a one-off figure. It's possible they will do Mordo but I find it unlikely. I see it being like Ant Man where we get Strange PO and a possible proto for Mordo that won't get a PO.

Too bad, because my shelves need more bad guys. I'm still crossing my fingers that Yellowjacket gets made, but maybe HT thinks he'd be too expensive for the number of figures they could sell. Those extra pincer-arms on the costume might add significantly to the cost of the figure.

Too bad, because my shelves need more bad guys. I'm still crossing my fingers that Yellowjacket gets made, but maybe HT thinks he'd be too expensive for the number of figures they could sell. Those extra pincer-arms on the costume might add significantly to the cost of the figure.

We do need more villains, but Yellowjacket got caught between a rock of being very complicated and expensive and a hard place of not being the main character.

Mordo or whoever the villain ends up being might be a lot easier and cheaper to make on the former front.

Assuming it doesn't cut into their Iron Man glutton budgets

Back