Do you think of your collection as an investment?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drbrad1975

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all!!

I was just wandering if any of my fellow collectors thought of their collections as investments? I know some of these figures do increase in value on the secondary market, ala PF Hulk. Personally, I don't see them as investments. I just collect what I like and don't really think about them in terms of value. What do you guys think?

Nope, gotta be willing to sell for it to be an investment. On the other hand it is nice to know that should I ever get in a serious money crunch I can make money off them.

I don't think of them as an investment but I always do like to thing there worth more than there retail value and if they do go for prices stupid enough its likely I would sell it.

No, I did not plan on them being investments. But due to events beyond my control, I found out what good investments they were. My lawyer thanks Predators on a weekly basis.

A lot of people scoff when they see box after box come in for me here at work. Then I tell them how much some of my pieces are worth and it shuts them up pretty quickly. I love my collectibles and am glad that the majority hold their value or rise in value. But that's not why I collect.

I like the fact that if you do need money then you can sell either at retail or possibly make a small profit. I wouldn't count on them as an investment though because the collectibles market is mucho fickle. Just my opinion.

I tried to get my dad to shut up about the stuff I buy by telling how much it was worth. Now he just hounds me about when I'm going to sell it. :rolleyes: :lol

If anything it's more of a fun savings account. There's alot I collect just cause I like it but, like Rory said, it sure is nice to be able to cash it in for a little profit once in a while.

I don't think I own anything thats worth more than retail. I happen to like the same things that everyone else seems to. IE SW and LOTR so all my stuff was overproduced.

I'm not really into buying low production stuff just because its low production. I have to like the franchise too and the obscure franchises I do like don't have figures made, ie Tron or Firefly.

although i do not collect for investment purposes i can totally understand a person that needs to sell something due to money issues. and if he gets a nice profit that might take some of the sting out of having to sell it in the first place. lets face it, money is good........it may not be able to buy happiness.....but it can put a down payment on it. :D

If anything it's more of a fun savings account. There's alot I collect just cause I like it but, like Rory said, it sure is nice to be able to cash it in for a little profit once in a while.

Same here... I think of it as one Hell of a backup. If something bad goes down, it's nice to have the option of a sale. Some hobbies don't have that kind of luxury. :lol

I don't collect for investing purposes i just collect for my personnal injoyment. But like everyone said it's good to know if you run into a cash flow problem you can get some money if not more. I just started collecting less than a year ago so i got a late start but the pieces that i have are like my hope diamonds(SAURON AND LORD MORGUL STAUTES).

I"m 30 now and by the time my kids grow up and i'm an old fart i might pass them down or let them have them, or i'm like fu#k it i'll take them to the grave with me.:chew:chew

Investment? Heavens no; you don't go hungry just to grab an "investment!" I view them as personal treasures, nothing more. I'm in this hobby for the sheer joy of it, not for any potential monetary benefits.

Same here... I think of it as one Hell of a backup. If something bad goes down, it's nice to have the option of a sale. Some hobbies don't have that kind of luxury. :lol

Yeah no kidding...try golfing!!! I also collect and shoot guns and they hold their value as well. With toy collecting, I just tend to sell what I no longer desire, and if I get more money for...the better. Overall, I think I am a break even point due to huge losses that I suffered from Hasbro Star Wars!!!

i dont think of them as an investment. to tell you the truth there are some pieces i have which i dont think i could ever sell. some of them are worth waaaaaaay more than i paid but the idea to sell them has never crossed my mind. but then others are like "meh, i could probably live without that one." my collection isnt very big to begin with. i really only have action figures and i only buy the ones i like. i dont think im a completist in any lines except for maybe LOTR but they only get released once every two years or so.

Back