Do you think of your collection as an investment?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I gave up the "investment" idea of stuff back when the baseball card market crashed in the 90's. I don't think anyone is going to retire off these things anymore (even the real limited items.) I just see them as cool thing I like to look at.

I don't consider it an investment because I only get the pieces I really want but that's what I tell people who keep asking me why I spend so much money on figures.
I just say that Hicks is worth 1000$ and all of a sudden they think collecting figs is great :D

No. Did that with Golden Age Batman comics before. Only once did I get more for a book than I paid for it when I had to sell.

No I dont see them as an investment but they can turn into that which is a nice side effect of collecting. They can also quite easily lose money. I also only collect the things I like, not because they might make a profit. I bet deep down though it crosses peoples minds when they buy a piece, especially very limited popular pieces.

I've been into this hobby since the fellowship of the ring came out and I bought my Cave Troll statue, who would of known it would be worth what it is today? It would take a pretty serious financial situation for me to sell my stuff though, once their gone they're hard to replace.

It certainly is an investment--in TIME AND MONEY. The value of my collection is only of many perks of collecting figures. It's nice my stuff is worth a pretty penny. And if I need to--I can sell it to anyone on the planet since the existence of the internet, which I think gives it tremendous value overall and makes it seem like a safer bet than stocks or at least it seems collectables hold a stronger value than the dollar over long periods of time.

Then again, how's the market for Beanie Babies these days?

I do think that pop culture collectibles have better holding power than something more fad based like beanie babies. Not that they will always be as popular as they are now, but I could see people still wanting a cool figure of Hicks or Darth Maul in 50 years.

Back