Diffrence between English person and an American.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what's really interesting? Asian people can speak English better than the British or Americans. Seriously, just listen to an Asian (who knows English) speak English and they speak quite clearly and you can understand them very well.

I think we have worse accents in America, but then again I'm from Texas so it's even worse (although not as bad as Arkansas), when I was working at Pizza Inn there was a customer who was trying to give me their street name and they had such a bad hick accent I couldn't understand what they were saying, the road name was Tailburton but the first time they said it they said Kelburt, then Kelburton, then Tailburton, stupid hicks. And that was the first time I took an order over the phone too:monkey4

It's just weird how we have different words for things, we may think that British English is kind of weird, calling elevators lifts and gas petrol and stuff, but we still call stuff those types of things too, like a remote, or a stuff...

And of course:

antitxtbanner9fe1ehra8.gif

darthviper107 said:
You know what's really interesting? Asian people can speak English better than the British or Americans. Seriously, just listen to an Asian (who knows English) speak English and they speak quite clearly and you can understand them very well.

I think we have worse accents in America, but then again I'm from Texas so it's even worse (although not as bad as Arkansas), when I was working at Pizza Inn there was a customer who was trying to give me their street name and they had such a bad hick accent I couldn't understand what they were saying, the road name was Tailburton but the first time they said it they said Kelburt, then Kelburton, then Tailburton, stupid hicks. And that was the first time I took an order over the phone too:monkey4

It's just weird how we have different words for things, we may think that British English is kind of weird, calling elevators lifts and gas petrol and stuff, but we still call stuff those types of things too, like a remote, or a stuff...

And of course:

antitxtbanner9fe1ehra8.gif

Accents over here are totally bizarre: Scouse (Liverpool), Manc Manchester, Tyke (Yorkshire) Geordie (Newcastle) Mackem (Sunderland) - are all massively different in a very small area. Abstract Harmony would confirm that even the Manchester accent differs a great deal between Wigan, Bolton and then Stockport Cheshire. Blackburn is just a few miles away but might as well be Scotland
A dales accent is totally different to a Sheffield accent yet both are Yorkshire.
To then compare the Cornish (where they eat their own young) accent with one of those Northern accents or even an East London ****ney is just amazing.

I believe the nearest English to that spoken by Shakespeare is used in islands off the coast of South Carolina, where they still speak the language of the founding fathers.

As for the UK and the rest of the US as George Bernard Shaw (or was it Oscar Wilde???) said, we are a two nations divided by a common language.

As for Asian English I can rarely understand call centre operatives!

thamesvalidude said:
As for Asian English I can rarely understand call centre operatives!

You must be thinking of the Indians:rolleyes:

But seriously, here at college all of the Asian foreign students speak English so clearly, it's crazy, like when we talk we'll say it like "How duh ya do iht'" and they would pronounce it like "How do you do it"

Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?
This verbal class distinction, by now,
Should be antique. If you spoke as she does, sir,
Instead of the way you do,
Why, you might be selling flowers, too!
Hear a Yorkshireman, or worse,
Hear a Cornishman converse,
I'd rather hear a choir singing flat.
Chickens cackling in a barn Just like this one!
Garn! I ask you, sir, what sort of word is that?
It's "Aoooow" and "Garn" that keep her in her place.
Not her wretched clothes and dirty face.
This verbal class distinction by now should be antique.
If you spoke as she does, sir, Instead of the way you do,
Why, you might be selling flowers, too.
An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him,
The moment he talks he makes some other
Englishman despise him.
One common language I'm afraid we'll never get.
Oh, why can't the English learn to set
A good example to people whose
English is painful to your ears?
The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely
disappears. In America, they haven't used it for years!
Norwegians learn Norwegian; the Greeks have taught their
Greek. In France every Frenchman knows
his language fro "A" to "Zed"
The French never care what they do, actually,
as long as they pronounce in properly.
Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning.
And Hebrews learn it backwards,
which is absolutely frightening.
But use proper English you're regarded as a freak.
Why can't the English,
Why can't the English learn to speak?

Colour, not Color
Armour, not Armor
and so on.....and yes, the mispronunciation of nuclear is just horrendous.

Or should that be "horrendos" :D

alphatyrant said:
Colour, not Color
Armour, not Armor
and so on.....and yes, the mispronunciation of nuclear is just horrendous.

Or should that be "horrendos" :D

If you pronounce Color like Colour then it sounds French, and besides, Firefox is telling me it's spelled wrong.

And we spell Horrendous the same way you do, it's a different sound at the end than Color.

Garn, what a strange piece of slang. Reminds me of the Jedi Knight games where Kyle always says "Spast!"

Reminds me of a scene from Eurotrip, couldn't find a clip of it, but it goes like this:

Hooligan: So I tell the swamp donkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and have her lick me yarbles!
[laughs]
Cooper: Wow. You guys are on a completely different level of swearing here.

Customikey said:
This verbal class distinction, by now,
Should be antique. If you spoke as she does, sir,
Instead of the way you do,
Why, you might be selling flowers, too!
Hear a Yorkshireman, or worse,
Hear a Cornishman converse,
I'd rather hear a choir singing flat.
Chickens cackling in a barn Just like this one!
Garn! I ask you, sir, what sort of word is that?
It's "Aoooow" and "Garn" that keep her in her place.
Not her wretched clothes and dirty face.
This verbal class distinction by now should be antique.
If you spoke as she does, sir, Instead of the way you do,
Why, you might be selling flowers, too.
An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him,
The moment he talks he makes some other
Englishman despise him.
One common language I'm afraid we'll never get.
Oh, why can't the English learn to set
A good example to people whose
English is painful to your ears?
The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely
disappears. In America, they haven't used it for years!
Norwegians learn Norwegian; the Greeks have taught their
Greek. In France every Frenchman knows
his language fro "A" to "Zed"
The French never care what they do, actually,
as long as they pronounce in properly.
Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning.
And Hebrews learn it backwards,
which is absolutely frightening.
But use proper English you're regarded as a freak.
Why can't the English,
Why can't the English learn to speak?

Brilliant

As Eliza says: "Move your bloomin a**e!"

What about extremely early forms of English, where there's E after everything, and lots of stuff was spelled phonetically. Lette us do suche a theenge mine friendes.

gambit said:
My company is paying my air way ticket and I do not need visa for Thailand. On top of this two, I am also planning to have full body massage after long surfing sessions at night by 2 ladies :monkey3

I am not sure which point to go yet, and I might take a boat trip if I can find a good one. I also would love to come to Costa Rica but it is so far away for me, I am only 4-5 hours flight to Thailand anyway so I pick there this year.Last year I went for business to England and take a 1 week off after work, was a great experience to hear this local Cornish English :D
Cool free trips are the best trips. Your close to Indo too screw Costa Rica hit Indo.

post 5543 to the great kause.....and this post is also meant to obliterate the douchecollector thread...for he is a lover of all thing skinny and weak with herpes..

Shai Hulud said:
post 5543 to the great kause.....and this post is also meant to obliterate the douchecollector thread...for he is a lover of all thing skinny and weak with herpes..
bannistardsm.gif
bannistardsm.gif
bannistardsm.gif

Back