Diffrence between English person and an American.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffy-collector

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've always wondered if an english person moved to America how could an American tell they wern't American?
Is it the accent?What is it,how could you make your self sound more American?
I know weird question but I wanna know lol.

C'mon. Someone with the name "Buffy-Collector" should get this one easy.

Just say "I'm a friend of Xanderrrrrrrrrrrr" :p

Well, an ideal English man would be much skinnier than an ideal American.....:monkey1

The Englishman would call it Football whereas the American would call it Socccccccccccccccccccccer.:)

Yes but im English and I call Football Soccer and tea and coffe we drink em both.
The Texas accent is the best lol.

Oh ye an Englishmen would be thinner lol.

Darthrazz said:
One who have a coffee , the other tea. Oh.. and the accent too.

I HATE tea...

...and the Queen (and I don't mean the film)

Hate football too...

Maybe I'm not English after all?

No, I AM slim :D

But American Emo kids and hippsters are thin. Or waaay fat. Kinda no in between there. Anyway, all accent. If you didn't have an English accent, and tried to have a more American one (whether it be Boston, Texas, whatever) I doubt no one would know. It just depends what type of American you wanna try to be. Indie-Rock Snooty Hippster, Yuppie, Red Neck, Hippie, there really is no average anymore. I don't know, maybe there is, I don't pay attention, I know lots of different types of people, and since none are me, they suck:D

I was in Newquay (small surfing village) in England last september and trust me you would easily understand the difference from accent. It takes me 1 more additional day to learn surfing as my instructor was speaking so much local English :D:D:D

A touch off-topic, but American actors are trained to create a character from the inside out, whereas I believe English actors are willing to create the appearance and go from there.

I think, at least in school, a lot of American actors look down on that kind of "outward-in" acting as being shallow, but I think it can be extremely helpful to have a look to draw inspiration from.

I'm thin and frequently speak with an English accent. Maybe I'm in the wrong country....

I got my teeth fixed....

gambit said:
I was in Newquay (small surfing village) in England last september and trust me you would easily understand the difference from accent. It takes me 1 more additional day to learn surfing as my instructor was speaking so much local English :D:D:D
Surfing, so how did you like it? Screw all this Engling American talk, lets talk about surfing:lol

Newquay? Man, that's Straw Dogs country... We don't like yooour sort around 'ere... :D

I'd like to be Joey from Friends.

*clears throat and adopts over the top Italian American accent*

How YOU doin'!?!

I have a neat perspective on this being Valley born but raised in Yorkshire due to a very messy divorce, my bro and sister were both raised in Chatsworth Ca, and while my sister married a Brit and is over here now my bro is so like totally L.A. dude. His wife is trying to get him to move east but he's having none of it. Anyway the differences seem to be:

Americans do not use as much sarcasm /irony and don't use self depreciation, nor do they understand it.
Americans do not use words like fortnight, bonnet, boot, petrol, windscreen, bumper and asking for a fag just reinforces most Americans opinions about British male sexuality.
Americans are much more open with their emotions... "we just love you guys." Brits would say "Aye, you're not a bad lot!" and that would be a hell of a compliment.
Americans have perfect teeth and either a perfect figure or no figure at all....there is no middle ground.
Brits have dental issues, boobs tend to be real and Brit girls don't give BJs
Custommikey is right about method acting techniques..as Olivier once said to Hoffman after he'd spent weeks researching and living as a character he was to portray: "learn to act, dear boy, learn to act.
Brits treat life much less seriously hence the British sense of humour.

Suffice to say my kids are going through the Brit public (U.S.-private system:confused: ) school system and both say they're straight off to california as soon as they graduate.

Guess i'm almost used to the weather here now....after 40+ years!!!
Oh yeah, My stepfather who is now a bit part actor (baddy in 24) and was a sheriff in Malibu, doesn't understand a single word I say!

I thought that British people were smarter and had a better sense of humor at the expense of ugly teeth and bland food. That's the difference as I understand it.

Plus, they put a torch in their boot when I would put a flashlight in my trunk.

It's the little differences that would be the tell tale sign. I thought about this alot while living in Japan and jumping around the Orient... How each of the major Asian cultures have a certain look. I can almost pic out a Chinese person from a Japanese person, or Korean....Vietnamese, Thai... There are very acute differences in facial structure, skin tone, teeth. It's all very interesting.

Same with the Brits, Scots, Germans, Americans, Irish... Very acute differences. Even with Americans being the most mixed bag of people. We have a blend of everything.... an oddity when compared to the rest of the world.

Back