Deathstroke PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The overwhelming hate towards this statue is crazy. It's a great mix of modern and classic Deathstoke. Although I can see some pointing to the lack of a large gun. I personally love the staff and sword combo while still having the side holster. A very striped down DS in stealth mode.

The piece itself is super similar to the Rebirth design, minus a white arm while adding the Arkham-verse / Arrow-verse plate armor which is where I think the general audience would be most familiar with the character.

The overwhelming hate towards this statue is crazy. It's a great mix of modern and classic Deathstoke. Although I can see some pointing to the lack of a large gun. I personally love the staff and sword combo while still having the side holster. A very striped down DS in stealth mode.

The piece itself is super similar to the Rebirth design, minus a white arm while adding the Arkham-verse / Arrow-verse plate armor which is where I think the general audience would be most familiar with the character.

The fact that so many people find the PF lackluster speaks volumes. While this PF may work for you, it clearly doesn't for many others.

It's a dislike that has a strong merit.

I think the problem with making a $500 statue more appealing to the "general audience" -- by incorporating on it some elements this audience is most familiar with -- is that most of the people in this "general audience" are those who are least likely to spend $500 on a collectible. DC Comics itself realized this when they experimented with New 52 to cater to this "general audience". They alienated the older audience, those who had been giving their money to the publishers on a monthly basis for decades. There was "overwhelming hate" towards New 52. DC soldiered on. Sales went down to the point that to keep soldiering on is suicide. Rebirth happened, bringing back the old albeit with a little make-over. The older audience is back. More sales. And hey, these are $3 comicbooks, not $500 statues. Marvel's getting the same complaints now, older loyal fans boycotting the books they followed for years because they are now more tuned in to people who are most familiar with the characters from the movies and TV, ie, the general audience.

See why a comic-accurate Batman statue can sell out 9,500 units (2000 EX, 7500 Reg) after almost 3 years of release, but selling 2000 (500/1500 EX/Reg) units of Arkham Asylum version is still a struggle while it's been out for a year and a half now? Nope, it's not just the sculpt, not just the pose.

If you want to sell a $500 statue to anyone, make it appealing to those not only with money, but with deepest connection to the character as well, because they are the people who'd be most willing to spend money on it -- whether they have the money now or have to save for it. These products are a niche compared to $25 action figures, so making it appealing to what could be the minority is a ballsy but risky move.

I think the problem with making a $500 statue more appealing to the "general audience" -- by incorporating on it some elements this audience is most familiar with -- is that most of the people in this "general audience" are those who are least likely to spend $500 on a collectible. DC Comics itself realized this when they experimented with New 52 to cater to this "general audience". They alienated the older audience, those who had been giving their money to the publishers on a monthly basis for decades. There was "overwhelming hate" towards New 52. DC soldiered on. Sales went down to the point that to keep soldiering on is suicide. Rebirth happened, bringing back the old albeit with a little make-over. The older audience is back. More sales. And hey, these are $3 comicbooks, not $500 statues. Marvel's getting the same complaints now, older loyal fans boycotting the books they followed for years because they are now more tuned in to people who are most familiar with the characters from the movies and TV, ie, the general audience.

See why a comic-accurate Batman statue can sell out 9,500 units (2000 EX, 7500 Reg) after almost 3 years of release, but selling 2000 (500/1500 EX/Reg) units of Arkham Asylum version is still a struggle while it's been out for a year and a half now? Nope, it's not just the sculpt, not just the pose.

If you want to sell a $500 statue to anyone, make it appealing to those not only with money, but with deepest connection to the character as well, because they are the people who'd be most willing to spend money on it -- whether they have the money now or have to save for it. These products are a niche compared to $25 action figures, so making it appealing to what could be the minority is a ballsy but risky move.

Well put. SSC will personally not see a dime of my money if they are going to keep releasing their version of the classic characters I grew up reading. I despise the NEW 52 and will not buy any PF based off that era of comics. Nor will I buy/support anything along the lines of this DS PF. I have no interest in any PF that takes such drastic artistic liberties with the classic DC/Marvel characters I know and love.

Boom! Enough said!

I think collectors would be more receptive to a New 52 costume if only because it's a bit more "realistic" and you don't have the pirate boots and little more functional armour. Sideshow could have done a bit of a mashup between the classic and New 52 and I think generally people would be a lot happier. I enjoy Tony Daniel DS and I think Deathstroke along with Suicide Squad were the successes in New 52.

Part of the problem here too is, this is a very bare-bones DS. At the very least he should have a bandolier, a changeout gun for one hand, as well as an unmasked head. The included head appears to be a cloth mask, but then they went for an armoured look. It just doesn't match. The chest and shoulder pads he has on should have a little more orange in them as well.

I think collectors would be more receptive to a New 52 costume if only because it's a bit more "realistic" and you don't have the pirate boots and little more functional armour. Sideshow could have done a bit of a mashup between the classic and New 52 and I think generally people would be a lot happier. I enjoy Tony Daniel DS and I think Deathstroke along with Suicide Squad were the successes in New 52.

Part of the problem here too is, this is a very bare-bones DS. At the very least he should have a bandolier, a changeout gun for one hand, as well as an unmasked head. The included head appears to be a cloth mask, but then they went for an armoured look. It just doesn't match. The chest and shoulder pads he has on should have a little more orange in them as well.

The biggest problem here is that it's a costume that nobody's sure if it's from an actual comic, or completely Sideshow. Either way it's totally puzzling. If it were from an actual comic, it's not the best choice for a statue. I also liked the heavy New 52 suit with that scarf on the neck (it's also close to the Arkham games version), as much as I like the light and stealthy Rebirth suit. Now if this is completely Sideshow, again not the best choice for design IMO not to mention baffling as they'd gone as comic-accurate as possible with their DC previous releases.

Biggest bad-ass in DC Comics deserves better !!

deathstrokejla3.jpg

identity5.jpg

deathstrokejla6.jpg

The biggest problem here is that it's a costume that nobody's sure if it's from an actual comic, or completely Sideshow. Either way it's totally puzzling. If it were from an actual comic, it's not the best choice for a statue. I also liked the heavy New 52 suit with that scarf on the neck (it's also close to the Arkham games version), as much as I like the light and stealthy Rebirth suit. Now if this is completely Sideshow, again not the best choice for design IMO not to mention baffling as they'd gone as comic-accurate as possible with their DC previous releases.

I've looked and looked, this is not from a comic. The Ikon suit from Rebirth is totally cool and I think even people not in with Rebirth would be able to appreciate the hints of the classic. Deathstroke Rebirth #13 (last week) had him donning the classic costume because the Ikon suit was stolen. Pretty great stuff in Rebirth with Deathstroke.

I'm fairly certain this is just Sideshow's take on Deathstroke. I'm not sure how it got approved by DC, because it's not accurate or matching on any level. They did something kind of similar with the new Deadpool PF. Pool looks close enough to his regular costume that no one minds though and the new little details are kind of fun (like the black on his suit being quilted).

And yeah, the New 52 suit was good in its own ways. The functional looking armour fit because he was packing so many weapons, and the colours on that costume popped. SS has like a blue costume with hints of orange, which shouldn't be the case. He needs scale armour, be it silver or blue, which isn't in the statue at all. He has some type of hexagonal pattern on his legs (which have no muscle definition at all).

This man gets it. Why can't Sideshow's art directors for this statue?

Back