DC Direct Build-a-Scene

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
I'm interested in finding out what the thoughts are on the currently released JLA scene because there are two more on the way that I'm thinking about ordering.

The first one is the Batman and Family scene and the second is the Green Lantern scene and I think they both look really great, but I'm concerned about the quality of DC Direct's statues. I own a couple of the Batman B&W statues and they are pretty hit or miss IMO, but I've never seen any of their other statues in person so I have no idea what to expect with these guys.

153tb3p.jpg

3yhl0.jpg

I own the Museum quality Batman and Wonder Woman and they are excellent quality. The smaller scale stuff I'm not too sure of, but it may be produced in the same factories.

i thought jla was a miss, i like the lantern set, but where the frack is Kilowog? i know he serves Space Sector: 674 but that guy is a important lantern in the corp. he should of been included, dude trained hal. I do like the manhunter in this set up, nice touch that represents the history of the guardians.

i thought jla was a miss, i like the lantern set, but where the frack is Kilowog? i know he serves Space Sector: 674 but that guy is a important lantern in the corp. he should of been included, dude trained hal. I do like the manhunter in this set up, nice touch that represents the history of the guardians.
that's a good point. the manhunter kind of stands as the odd man out...they should have kilowog in his place. all the others are lanterns besides the two guardians.

I'd have gotten the Batman one in a second, but most of the sculpts aren't great. The GL one is tempting though, although Guy's pose isn't fantastic. But overall I'm pretty pleased with the quality of the DC statues. It's as good as any other statue producer - GG, SSC, etc.

They look too staged and unnatural to me. If you are gonna "build-a-scene," it shouldn't look like a bunch of Bowen-styled statues posed next to each other.

i thought jla was a miss, i like the lantern set, but where the frack is Kilowog?

Agreed.

The GL set IMO looks good but I would have preferred if they had included some of the other Lanters like Kilowog, Kat,...

On the Batfamily set, I love the idea but I'm not to fond of the sculpts, especially Nightwing. Plus Babs and Batgirl are missing.

Ditto. The sculpts IMO are horrible.

I could live without Batwoman but omitting Barbara is horrible. She's 1,000 X's more important to the Batfamily than Batwoman, and even Huntress or Catwoman for that matter. Not that I don't like any of those characters, but without her the piece isn't complete IMO. They should have included her as either Oracle or Batgirl.

The JLA ones were horrible. The Batfamily ones look horrible even in promos and solicitations. The GL ones are inaccurate in costuming all around, a weird mix of modern and origin and the sculpts on them save Alan and Guy are laughable. I love the idea and DC Direct did fairly good ones even of the Earth GLs (Kyle, Hal and Alan) not that long ago but these I wouldn't even take for free.

The JLA ones were horrible. The Batfamily ones look horrible even in promos and solicitations. The GL ones are inaccurate in costuming all around, a weird mix of modern and origin and the sculpts on them save Alan and Guy are laughable. I love the idea and DC Direct did fairly good ones even of the Earth GLs (Kyle, Hal and Alan) not that long ago but these I wouldn't even take for free.

I couldn't have said it better...they are a great idea very poorly executed

I agree about them not having Barbara. If they had her next to Gordon and Batgirl instead of Nightwing I would consider getting this myself. But maybe I haven't read enough of the comics to understand the importance of Huntress or Batwoman. I actually didn't even know there was a Batwoman.

Neither does about 90% of the Comic Fan world. DC is definitely trying hard to push her down the throats of DC fans to remind her that she exists.

Yeah, I just read her bio on Wikipedia and she seems like a very peripheral character.

I thought the JLA one was pretty good after seeing it in person - but not enough to get it. I think the Batman one is far inferior.

But if they do a Superman family I might have to bite.

You see I thought that about the Green Lantern piece when I had heard it was coming. I wasn't impressed by the JLA or the Batman but heard the rumors of this... I like Superman, like Batman but love Green Lantern and when I saw the piece I was seriously disappointed. I get the reasons of the character choices, that they are supposed to represent the Lanterns of Earth sector 2814 with Hal and John the current members and Kyle and Guy past members and even the two guardians who would oversee the particular sector and report back to the council, even the Manhunter which represents the time before the Lanterns where a Manhunter would have guarded this particular sector but the inclusion of Alan Scott has me wondering.

I get that he is the first "Green Lantern" but he isn't an actual member of the Corps. He wasn't even made an honorary member until the Kyle Rayner era. His powers are magical not connected in anyway to the Central Battery of OA. Even the Kingdom Come version of Earth-22 who founded New OA was still using the Starheart to create his armor and powered it. He belongs in the Sector 2814 piece about as much as any other supporting Non Lantern character, hell I would say that Batman in his Green Lantern costume probably makes more logical sense than Alan Scott since he never actually wore an OA ring. I get the fact though that the normal, non fanatic would just go "Oh yeah, he was a Green Lantern first" and be fine with it.

What else bothers me is the sloppyness that it seems to be put together. Hal is in his Rebirth styled costume and its done rather shotty. John seems to be in his newer costuming as well while both Guy and Kyle are in origin costumes. The entire piece doesn't make a whole helleva lot of sense if you really look at it and it seems like someone at DC Direct just began scribbling on a piece of paper and they just went with it. All Origins suits would make sense which would require the unitards on both Hal and John. All new costumes would have made sense with Guy and Kyle in their current costuming.

Alan Scott just doesn't make sense no matter how you go.

I would have preferred a general GL piece with Kilowog in there maybe even Arisia or even classic GLs which would have included Kilowog but instead of Guy, Kyle and John had Tomar-Re, Sinestro and Abin Sur in there. Or even a Blackest Night/War of Light piece with each of the leaders of the spectrum in there. DC Direct which can be found in more common stores like Suncoast and Toys R Us makes these targeted for Comic Book collectors so I don't really understand the laziness of this piece.

Therefore I'm passing despite my love for the character and the history.

Although I am looking forward to the PF.

You see I thought that about the Green Lantern piece when I had heard it was coming. I wasn't impressed by the JLA or the Batman but heard the rumors of this... I like Superman, like Batman but love Green Lantern and when I saw the piece I was seriously disappointed. I get the reasons of the character choices, that they are supposed to represent the Lanterns of Earth sector 2814 with Hal and John the current members and Kyle and Guy past members and even the two guardians who would oversee the particular sector and report back to the council, even the Manhunter which represents the time before the Lanterns where a Manhunter would have guarded this particular sector but the inclusion of Alan Scott has me wondering.

I get that he is the first "Green Lantern" but he isn't an actual member of the Corps. He wasn't even made an honorary member until the Kyle Rayner era. His powers are magical not connected in anyway to the Central Battery of OA. Even the Kingdom Come version of Earth-22 who founded New OA was still using the Starheart to create his armor and powered it. He belongs in the Sector 2814 piece about as much as any other supporting Non Lantern character, hell I would say that Batman in his Green Lantern costume probably makes more logical sense than Alan Scott since he never actually wore an OA ring. I get the fact though that the normal, non fanatic would just go "Oh yeah, he was a Green Lantern first" and be fine with it.

What else bothers me is the sloppyness that it seems to be put together. Hal is in his Rebirth styled costume and its done rather shotty. John seems to be in his newer costuming as well while both Guy and Kyle are in origin costumes. The entire piece doesn't make a whole helleva lot of sense if you really look at it and it seems like someone at DC Direct just began scribbling on a piece of paper and they just went with it. All Origins suits would make sense which would require the unitards on both Hal and John. All new costumes would have made sense with Guy and Kyle in their current costuming.

Alan Scott just doesn't make sense no matter how you go.

I would have preferred a general GL piece with Kilowog in there maybe even Arisia or even classic GLs which would have included Kilowog but instead of Guy, Kyle and John had Tomar-Re, Sinestro and Abin Sur in there. Or even a Blackest Night/War of Light piece with each of the leaders of the spectrum in there. DC Direct which can be found in more common stores like Suncoast and Toys R Us makes these targeted for Comic Book collectors so I don't really understand the laziness of this piece.

Therefore I'm passing despite my love for the character and the history.

Although I am looking forward to the PF.

thanks for the breakdown Mike. i fall into the category of just recently getting into the GL stories so i was like "cool it has most of the main GLs in it" now i know what the situation is on this.

~~i'm also looking forward to the PF GL, but for some reason after going with SS PF for so long the DC direct just doesn't look up to par...and i want to be able to display this guy with my Marvel PFs so i'm stuck waiting for reviews and in-hand pictures.

I like Green Lantern too and I agree that Alan Scott doesn't make sense for the space based new Lanterns. But if he wasn't there it would seem a mistake since the other Lanterns of earth are present. And I think they went with the best costumes too since they are all very distinct from each other.

Alan Scott's inclusion is a cop-out. Its done because they are worried about the common fan saying "But where is Alan Scott" when this is supposed to be a targeted piece to GL fans, while the Bat piece has Batwoman someone who the common fan forgets or has no idea exists. They didn't include Barbara Gordon into that piece even though tons of fans are saying "What about Batgirl?" Boo that company. Boo them. :lol

As for best costumes, that is really arguable. Guy's new costume is not that different than his standard but he doesn't have that retarded Moe Howard hair.

kidsLoveGuy.jpg

Kyle's costume is horrendous, it screams 90s dating like Superboy's original costuming and he has two costumes, his interim and his current that are leaps and bounds better...his current is even a homage to that.

kylerayner.jpg

kyle-rayner-bn4.jpg

The inclusion of those are still very distinct from one another especially next to one another.

green_lantern_rebirth2.jpg

The piece is a mess, every which way from Tuesday.

Here's a sketch by artist Will Sliney from 2006 that has a striking resemblance to the batfamily piece.

batfamily.jpg

Notice that Both Babs and Alfred are included, which again are essential characters. Batman is still the center piece and all the other characters seem more natural. Replace Catwoman with Batgirl, and obviously remove Supes and you would have a far superior statue. One that I would buy anyway. I know Selina and Bruce have a long history but I would not consider her a part of the "family" more like a part time ally/sexual tease :naughty

A better sculptor wold help this piece tremendously as well.

Back