DC Animated The Dark Knight Returns

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Peter Weller cast in "The Dark Knight Returns"

You don't think so? The graphic novel felt very cinematic and the story is nice and solid.

The only thing that would be weird is the casting. You'd have to have the perfect cast to pull it off. Other than that though the story and settings are a good one.

Part of what makes it epic is Miller's stylistic approach to the world. Just look at all the 3D pieces that've been made from this. They'll show you it won't translate well to live-action and losing that "look" to make things more realistic is essentially killing the soul of the piece.

True but I think Sin City did a good job of capturing Miller's style. Well, Marv and yellow bastard anyway.

True but I think Sin City did a good job of capturing Miller's style. Well, Marv and yellow bastard anyway.

Sin City was black and white (for the most part) and an original piece. I think if this was done like Sin City, it would end up like Watchmen, a commercial flop because everybody (i.e. those who didn't read the comic) would be expecting something entirely different going in, wind up hating it, and we both know WB wouldn't know how to promote it to save their asses.

So, this is a 2 parter? So about 2: 20 total, maybe? Works for me. While I would prefer Kevin Conroy myself, I'll give Weller a chance

I love Dark Knight Returns, but I don't think they'll make a live action version of it either. Batman is something they want to make accessible to as many people as possible, and the a large majority of the massive audience that goes to see Batman movies probably wouldn't get it. It'll do best as an animated movie.

I think a CG manipulated film a la Beowulf could work. It could provide the live-action element while being manipulated into the comic book type deal. I can just imagine Mickey Rourke as Batman (CG could also provide some leeway to fix his ____in' face), Jon Hamm as Superman (If we're talking actual DCU, Hamm for Batman all the way), hell, maybe even Hit-Girl as Carrie Kelly. That being said, and even though TDKR is far from being my favorite Batman story, I agree with nam. This book was groundbreaking at the time, and I find it criminal that this doesn't even have limited engagements for some of the larger cities.

I think a CG manipulated film a la Beowulf could work. It could provide the live-action element while being manipulated into the comic book type deal. I can just imagine Mickey Rourke as Batman (CG could also provide some leeway to fix his ____in' face), Jon Hamm as Superman (If we're talking actual DCU, Hamm for Batman all the way), hell, maybe even Hit-Girl as Carrie Kelly. That being said, and even though TDKR is far from being my favorite Batman story, I agree with nam. This book was groundbreaking at the time, and I find it criminal that this doesn't even have limited engagements for some of the larger cities.

Uh... Batman's all old and busted up in TDKR. I don't think they'd need to do anything. :lol

About time! Too bad its in 2 parts though. :(

Now they just need to get the Killing Joke done! With Hamill and Conroy or FAIL!

Couldn't find a thread for this.

Peter Weller is voicing Batman/Wayne

First stills:
tdkr_animated_1_20120530_1788577593.jpg

tdkr_animated_2_20120530_1664422127.jpg

tdkr_animated_3_20120530_1869694492.jpg

tdkr_animated_4_20120530_1274697730.jpg

tdkr_animated_5_20120530_2030155576.jpg

tdkr_animated_6_20120530_1699567161.jpg

tdkr_animated_7_20120530_1159533434.jpg

tdkr_animated_8_20120530_1631251666.jpg

https://www.superherohype.com/news/...ls-from-the-dark-knight-returns-animated-film

I thought I saw one in 2012 and one in 2013. I hope I'm wrong though.

Edit: just looked it up and the second comes out in early 2013 so I guess that's at least a little less wait.

Last edited:
This is going to be fantastic!! The comic was legendary and love the fact this is a 2 part epic, The Animation Department over at DC Warners is really kicking it up a notch. There last couple flicks have been bada$$!

Back