1/6 Darth Vader best figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utd7

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am a new member on this forum and am new to the world of Sideshow and Hot Toys figures and don't own any Star Wars ones. I am saving up to buy a 1/6th scale Darth Vader from either ssc or ht and would like to ask your opinions on which is the best one in terms of accuracy and detail please.

In terms of accuracy:
Hot Toys a New Hope version by far...

Only detail errors are no black interior eye sockets and brow ridge, gloved hand sculpts less than stellar, black painted center ridge on breastplate should be silver...other than than, minor futzing is all it takes to look screen accurate....

Other than that, it's fantastic straight out of the box! Like a mini Vader

It has the lopsidedness of the actual helmet, the checkerboard paint pattern and even the hand brushed texture on the face.

It is by far the most accurate helmet to date on any licensed figural Vader...alongside the cinemaquette 1/3 which is a scan.
This helmet isn't just accurate, it's precise in its details.

Also the costume took no shortcuts, it has the pants, the shirt with sleeves, the vest portion and the tunic and full cape....

Do you guys think that the new Sideshow ROTJ Darth Vader that is up for PO right now for $229.99 will just be the Deluxe Vader with less accessories or will they do some re-work and improvements to it. The sculpt of the helmet on the new figure looks like the deluxe to me.

Sideshow Darth.jpg

Yes exactly I was thinking infact that they might release an ESB version with maybe an improvement on the annoying niggles I have seen on video reviews with regards to placing the batteries on the ANH version. Not to mention that ESB is my favourite film of all time and would like my Darth Vader to be from it.

New suit to I believe and new hand sculpts.

Cool, maybe a better suit and the "Newly sculpted codpiece" will fix the skinny arms and legs and bunching around his crotch problems...

I am really thinking about pre-ordering this guy.

I know... the HT Darth is better but I only need a "basic" Vader for my display and I could put the price difference toward one of the new black Imperial Astromechs to go next to him.

Cool, maybe a better suit and the "Newly sculpted codpiece" will fix the skinny arms and legs and bunching around his crotch problems...

I am really thinking about pre-ordering this guy.

I know... the HT Darth is better but I only need a "basic" Vader for my display and I could put the price difference toward one of the new black Imperial Astromechs to go next to him.
The HT Vader does come with the Interrogation Droid...a droid he actually works with on-screen. Just a thought.

The HT Vader does come with the Interrogation Droid...a droid he actually works with on-screen. Just a thought.

Yeah, the Interrogation Droid is pretty cool but I really want one of the Imperial Astromechs.

R2-Q5 does appear in a hanger scene from ROTJ. I need to go back and watch the Blu-Ray again to see if I can spot him.

R2Q5HangerScene.jpg

And of course he had his famous scene with Vader... Too bad for him it was deleted or he could have been known as R2-D2s evil twin :lol

R2Q5TenseMoment.jpg

I don't think that R5-J2 appears anywhere but in Sideshows imagination, but... I would probably get him since he is more unique looking.

New to Star Wars?

R5-J2 is as prominent in ROTJ as many of Star Wars famous droids.

Review_R5J2TSC_stillB.JPG

Review_R5J2TSC_stillA.JPG

Now get off your behind and pay for this droid!!!

Nope, not new to Star Wars. Saw the original trilogy in the theater when I was a kid.

I don't remember seeing R5-J2 in any scenes but I will look for him in ROTJ.

Do you guys think that the new Sideshow ROTJ Darth Vader that is up for PO right now for $229.99 will just be the Deluxe Vader with less accessories or will they do some re-work and improvements to it. The sculpt of the helmet on the new figure looks like the deluxe to me.

View attachment 249570
Sorry but whenever I see this Sideshow helmet/mask sculpt I'm always reminded of this old 70's comic book artwork.....
f8de05ba2f264ccfc837aacdebc3a1da.jpg
Seriously though, if you want the best 1/6 Darth Vader there is out there get the Hot Toys Vader - I've got one and he's bloody AWESOME!! (apart from the sound issues but I don't use them anyway, I just went for the look of the figure)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sorry but whenever I see this Sideshow helmet/mask sculpt I'm always reminded of this old 70's comic book artwork.....
f8de05ba2f264ccfc837aacdebc3a1da.jpg
Seriously though, if you want the best 1/6 Darth Vader there is out there get the Hot Toys Vader - I've got one and he's bloody AWESOME!! (apart from the sound issues but I don't use them anyway, I just went for the look of the figure)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

You know, when I compare the comic to the new/deluxe SS Vader, they do kind of look similar... :lol

I am still trying to decide. I may go with the HT figure.

Hot Toys has definitely put out the best 1/6 Vader to date. But he is on the pricey side thus why I waited but decided to use my rewards on him ($270 worth) but have yet to receive him. Plenty of pictures on the forums to show this to be true. I have both Sideshow versions, and they are great for their time. I also have the ROTJ Medicom, but we won't discuss that :lol . If what you want is the best value, then by far the Sideshow Deluxe ESB/ROTJ. You get a ton of accessories, awesome (but huge) light up base, light up belt and chest, removeable helmet & Anakin headsculpt and even a 2nd stand for the additional helmet. Although the new re-release is $230, if this is the way you want to go you'd be better off tracking down the 1st release as you can still find him for $250 (retail) and it is far above worth the extra $20 compared to Sideshow's bare re-release. But what ever you decide you can't be a Star Wars fan without a Darth Vader in your collection!

The Sideshow deluxe has issues, but I can accept them for now. I wanted to get the HT Vader, but his issues are just as many. Yes, the helmet sculpt is great, but there are a long list of other issues. My hope is that all issues are iron out for HT's ESB Vader.

Back