Damaged rubber hot toys figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we know for sure that DX 02 (first batch), The Comedian, the Aliens, ED-209 (both versions) and the Mars Attacks Martians were huge, well documented incidences with dozens upon dozens of collectors (on here and Facebook) posting their pics and stories. There's no two ways about it, the complaints and evidence was substantial. It may be a little harder to find now a days (expired imgur, photobucket pics, locked threads, etc.), but us long time members remember the incidences all too well. The DX 02 in particular was a huge problem worldwide.

Not every release is problematic however. I've never seen any reports on the older Rocky bodies, Rambo, DX 09 or the early 2008 Batman rubber. The ones above should be reason enough to pause though. Those were widespread issues. It's like the Toy Fairs MMS 155. I can safely say that every single owner experienced broken ankle sockets, no matter how careful they were with them. That's a fact.

Thanks Motuxmen and others for providing feedback on how your "rubber" is holding up.

I have:
1 - Leonidas, boxed and last I check ok (but that doesn't really count I guess)
2 - Hulk: ok - museum pose
3 - Gamora: ok - took pictures with arm bent, noticed it starting to crease, so reverted back to museum pose

You have to realize negative usually out weighs positives in peoples minds. ie it only takes 1 negative review to negate 10 positive reviews - that just seems like human nature.

Even before seeing the Thor 2 issues, I was hesitant to get one because of rubber arms and I will still be. I hear ya that most of them will be ok and you increase your chances when you do not over pose them...however I just don't want to take that chance and be one of the unlucky ones, spend $200+ and then have it break!
That's just where I am coming from.

You say it's well documented...but I don't find that to be the case. I see a lot of what just happened...one person reposting someone else's issues as a justification for the argument. Not their personal experience.

And I'm not looking just for the bad but the people that don't have any issues. Like with most collector forums it's often only a small percentage of people that make up the majority of the information given. I'm trying to get and show a more complete picture.

As for the question about dynamic posing most of my figures are on some sort of pose. But I do follow any bend instructions.

See I'm in agreement with you here. I've seen this debate many times.
The ones not up for debate are DX02, ED209, Comedian, Mars Attack, and Toyfair Begins. These are a FACT, bad QC figures by Hot Toys.
But many times, like that Sheva posted. a few people post an issue, then I see these get quoted over and over, and people complaining about HT QC, and people reiterate the problems with the figures I mentioned above. So many times, it makes it look like almost every figure Hot Toys produce have major QC problems.
But when you look at the big picture, if you dont factor DX02, ED209, Comedian, Mars Attack, and Toyfair Begins...and only factor the figures that had problems vs the ones without problems, I think Hot Toys QC ratio is pretty good, specially considering how many figures they are pumping left and right.
You'll never buy a mass produced Car and think every single one are flawless, certain percentage are acceptable to have issues. If this percentage is too high, then you have Quality control problem.

Just like that Sheva, and the Thor that was posted, where was the problem? At the elbow, so you can assume they were bending it too far.
Was it their fault? No, they're just misinformed that you are limited to making dynamic poses on Rubber figures.

So, not saying Hot Toys figures are flawless, barring the ones I mentioned above, when you factor how many figures have QC issues, compared to the ones who didnt have any, I think for the most part, HT have their QC under control.

image.jpg

Well, we know for sure that DX 02 (first batch), The Comedian, the Aliens, ED-209 (both versions) and the Mars Attacks Martians were huge, well documented incidences with dozens upon dozens of collectors (on here and Facebook) posting their pics and stories. There's no two ways about it, the complaints and evidence was substantial. It may be a little harder to find now a days (expired imgur, photobucket pics, locked threads, etc.), but us long time members remember the incidences all too well. The DX 02 in particular was a huge problem worldwide.

Not every release is problematic however. I've never seen any reports on the older Rocky bodies, Rambo, DX 09 or the early 2008 Batman rubber. The ones above should be reason enough to pause though. Those were widespread issues. It's like the Toy Fairs MMS 155. I can safely say that every single owner experienced broken ankle sockets, no matter how careful they were with them. That's a fact.

Again...there's that "every single one" thing. Mine does not have broken ankles.

My dx02 is fine. Again, I don't think its a fact. It may actually be true, that's what I'm trying to figure out. But storys of other people's storys don't do anything either way. That's not data or real info it's rumor and urban legend. This feels more like big foot for little green men. Lots of storys. Little evidence.

See I'm in agreement with you here. I've seen this debate many times.
The ones not up for debate are DX02, ED209, Comedian, Mars Attack, and Toyfair Begins. These are a FACT, bad QC figures by Hot Toys.
But many times, like that Sheva posted. a few people post an issue, then I see these get quoted over and over, and people complaining about HT QC, and people reiterate the problems with the figures I mentioned above. So many times, it makes it look like almost every figure Hot Toys produce have major QC problems.
But when you look at the big picture, if you dont factor DX02, ED209, Comedian, Mars Attack, and Toyfair Begins...and only factor the figures that had problems vs the ones without problems, I think Hot Toys QC ratio is pretty good, specially considering how many figures they are pumping left and right.
You'll never buy a mass produced Car and think every single one are flawless, certain percentage are acceptable to have issues. If this percentage is too high, then you have Quality control problem.

Just like that Sheva, and the Thor that was posted, where was the problem? At the elbow, so you can assume they were bending it too far.
Was it their fault? No, they're just misinformed that you are limited to making dynamic poses on Rubber figures.

So, not saying Hot Toys figures are flawless, barring the ones I mentioned above, when you factor how many figures have QC issues, compared to the ones who didnt have any, I think for the most part, HT have their QC under control.

I agree.

And to be clear, I wasn't and am not trying to fight. I'm really just looking for info.

As you said, most of what I see is one persons issue repeated a hundred times. I think that's not an accurate representation of the situation. But if it is that's fine. At least people know.

From my experience the rubber figures are as solid as the plastic. That's my experience.

Again...there's that "every single one" thing. Mine does not have broken ankles.

I guarantee if you have the Toy Fairs Ex. Batman MMS 155 it has a broken socket in atleast one of the boots. I came into contact with 4 of them, every single one broke. One of the ones I sold MIB to someone on here ended up having broken ankles too. Even my two sets of replacements from Sideshow ended up disintegrating. Check that thread out, it happened to everyone. The pics in 2011/2012 were endless. If you haven't looked at it in a while, check it, I bet there are busted pieces of clear plastic rattling around in the boot as we speak.

It's as sure a thing as some of the older style true type legs breaking at the knee. Two-Face/Dent is notorious for this. I remember when people were chiming in about the issue and I kept posting "didn't happen to mine" with a smug intention. Then one day I found that the left legs on both of them were just hanging there on the stand. The joint just fell apart over time.

My dx02 is fine.

One of mine was too, but they were the hard abs, second batch version. I'm sure that's the one you have too, correct? It didn't leak because the chest was no longer rubber, it was changed to hard plastic.

Every one of the original DX 02s from that initial batch leaked. It was horrible. Hot Toys never even acknowledged it either. One day, people got the DCD batch and it spread by word of mouth that there was a running change. The originals were duds. Rubber wasn't the only problem either, people were getting deformed cowls, ears and blemishes all over the suits.

Last edited:
Well one things for sure, I'm glad this whole topic was brought up under the context of "who owns figures w/ rubber that's still fine" and "which problematic cases ended up being widespread across many collectors". It's a lot more informative than just posting damaged rubber parts.

I guarantee if you have the Toy Fairs Ex. Batman MMS 155 it has a broken socket in atleast one of the boots. I came into contact with 4 of them, every single one broke. One of the ones I sold MIB to someone on here ended up having broken ankles too. Even my two sets of replacements from Sideshow ended up disintegrating. Check that thread out, it happened to everyone. The pics in 2011/2012 were endless. If you haven't looked at it in a while, check it, I bet there are busted pieces of clear plastic rattling around in the boot as we speak.

It's as sure a thing as some of the older style true type legs breaking at the knee. Two-Face/Dent is notorious for this. I remember when people were chiming in about the issue and I kept posting "didn't happen to mine" with a smug intention. Then one day I found that the left legs on both of them were just hanging there on the stand. The joint just fell apart over time.

One of mine was too, but they were the hard abs, second batch version. I'm sure that's the one you have too, correct? It didn't leak because the chest was no longer rubber, it was changed to hard plastic.

Every one of the original DX 02s from that initial batch leaked. It was horrible. Hot Toys never even acknowledged it either. One day, people got the DCD batch and it spread by word of mouth that there was a running change. The originals were duds. Rubber wasn't the only problem either, people were getting deformed cowls, ears and blemishes all over the suits.

Well that sucks about the dx02s. I've never seen any for sale or even photos so people must have got them replaced. And if hot toys makes a change then I can't fault them for that. Things happen in manufacturing.

And no, my toy fair batman is not broken. And not be a jerk, but since I own it and see it I think I'll take my word over your guarantee. Nothing personal.

Very True.
I'm OCD on my figures, in that I rarely mess with them once I find a nice pose.
My Toyfair bats was posed only once or twice, but sat in a detolf. And one day I picked it up and his boots fell off completely.
Toyfair is the only Hot toys I have that had QC issues.

And I remember the dx02 when it came out, I wanted to get one but an overwhelming majority leaked.
So I was glad I didnt PO the figure.
The second batch got better, but a lot still leaked.
That's why I didnt get mine til it was on its 3rd DCD batch.

I don't believe you about the Toy Fairs Batman. Either you're lying (not sure why you would), or you've never checked it/touched it. If you do indeed have it, one or both of your ankle sockets are shattered. I promise you.

Pop it off now and take some pics. It's surely busted.

Mine shattered from just standing in a basic, neutral pose. I had to use my MacGyver skills to fix him.

I agree.

And to be clear, I wasn't and am not trying to fight. I'm really just looking for info.

As you said, most of what I see is one persons issue repeated a hundred times. I think that's not an accurate representation of the situation. But if it is that's fine. At least people know.

From my experience the rubber figures are as solid as the plastic. That's my experience.

Yup, I have no fear at all buying any figures if they're rubber.
But again, I would say though, that they would never be posed in a dynamic pose.
But I love the typical museum, heroic pose, so its not an issue for me.

I don't believe you about the Toy Fairs Batman. Either you're lying (not sure why you would), or you've never checked it/touched it. If you do indeed have it, one or both of your ankle sockets are shattered. I promise you.

Pop it off now and take some pics. It's surely busted.

Was about to suggest this.
I think just a quick bending of the knees for about 10 times, which should not be an issue at all with any figure...
I would be shocked if it doesnt fall off.

Mine shattered from just standing in a basic, neutral pose. I had to use my MacGyver skills to fix him.
What exactly happened to mine. Was shocked to literally pick it up and the damn thing just fell off. :horror

I agree.

but rubber dries out and cracks over time.Sometimes sooner,sometimes later

Hot Toys needs to Sculpt their Arms on figures and move away from using rubber because it doesn't last.Even if you don't pose it,over time the rubber still dries out and breaks when you pose it.The rubber arms are even more useless if you can't pose your figure in a dynamic pose.You're better off just buying a statue if you don't want to pose your figures

Off the top of my head figs I have or have owned and got rid of:

Abigail Whistler: Fine last I checked
Leonidas: Fine last I checked
Comedian: Melted
TF Batman: Ankles crapped out
Avengers Hulk: Fine last I checked
EB Bruce Lee GOD BTS: rubber rot & blk paint stained body

Iron Man figs that faded:
Mk 3
Mk 3 BD
Mk 4
Mk 6

Mk 5: broken wrist issue

:exactly:

Last edited:
Back