Custom GERMAN MECHANIC Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it looks pretty sweet, can't wait for the full reveal, did the arms stay and are you using different hands?

Cool idea on using seperate boots and garters and love the lace up boots

:lol I think you mean to say "gaiters"... not "garters"... although I guess the mechanic could have been wearing garters up under his fatigue pants... but that would make him a totally different character altogether ...

:lol I think you mean to say "gaiters"... not "garters"...

:lol

I already have a huge problem with those gaiters - they are OBVIOUSLY British not German and the buckles are brass :horror

Actually you are correct! :D The reveal will take a lot longer, more like HT reveal time. I still have sanding to do and then I gotta find a painter that has time to do the work on the head and body.

it looks pretty sweet, can't wait for the full reveal, did the arms stay and are you using different hands?

Yes, I will be removing the fists and replacing them with T-800 fists (hopefully they will be large enough). I've got a friend sending me a set so I'm just waiting for them.

Cool idea on using seperate boots and garters and love the lace up boots.

:D He wears so little that I had to at least do that. But it's a lot more work than I tought. I had to actually re-lace the boots. Pain. And I had to remove the little tiny "British" buckles on the gaiters and set them back farther to get them tight enough to match the source. Real Pain. Not sure I'd do it again if I knew what I was in for. But hopefully they'll look a little more detailed.

OMG this is going to end up looking sooo freaking cool!

Thank you, sir. I sure do hope so. It's not a real costly custom, but it is a lot of work.

I even have to switch out the buckle on the belt because the one that came with it just isn't large enough. More pain!

1st Test Dress...

Mechanic1stDress7-17-11.jpg

Damn gaiters are a bit short. Need to thin them too; tough to get them tight and to hold. But you can see where its going...

Looking excellent mate, and as for the gaiters not garters:lol lake some out of cloth and use the straps from the ones you have.

This wat the will be thin and long enough and it wouldn't matter if they weren't accurate.

Ron

THANKS for all the compliments, guys! Seriously appreciate them since I'm kind of winging this in hopes I won't end up with a cartoony version of the character!

Did a little futzing with the gaiters and boots and got them more or less where I want them.

Mechaniccomp.jpg

Waiting on the buckle to make the belt, but the next big step is sanding off the beard and elbow pads... then painting!

Guess who's back....

OK, it's been nearly a year since we left off. In that time I've been burned by a customizer in getting some promised key parts for this custom and it kind of soured me on the project. Also, that crazy Goldberg figure is a biyatch to shave down the elbow pad and finding big enough super-fists.

So I have reverted back to my original plan, mainly because I got a decent price on a Barney Ross body. He's not as big... but he's also not as cartoony and may fit in better with the who's-that HT Indy...

Stared with the Barney body and the "Heroic Criminal" head:

Mechanic1.jpg

Still waiting for my fists to arrive. But here's how he's shaping up...

Mechanic2.jpg
Mechanic3.jpg

What do you guys think? Suggestions?

His legs look a little long in these pics and I'm not sure why as they don't in-hand. I'm hoping once I paint the tattoos away he'll 'appear' bigger.

Of course to match the head this Mechanic is going to be a fully bloodied one, just seconds before the propellor blades hit him look. In fact, I will probably make him a little more bloddy than the actual actor just for fun since this is not a truly accurate match anyway.

Last edited:
Guess who's back....

OK, it's been nearly a year since we left off. In that time I've been burned by a customizer in getting some promised key parts for this custom and it kind of soured me on the project. Also, that crazy Goldberg figure is a biyatch to shave down the elbow pad and finding big enough super-fists.

So I have reverted back to my original plan, mainly because I got a decent price on a Barney Ross body. He's not as big... but he's also not as cartoony and may fit in better with the who's-that HT Indy...

Stared with the Barney body and the "Heroic Criminal" head:

Mechanic1.jpg

Still waiting for my fists to arrive. But here's how he's shaping up...

Mechanic2.jpg
Mechanic3.jpg

What do you guys think? Suggestions?

His legs look a little long in these pics and I'm not sure why as they don't in-hand. I'm hoping once I paint the tattoos away he'll 'appear' bigger.

Of course to match the head this Mechanic is going to be a fully bloodied one, just seconds before the propellor blades hit him look. In fact, I will probably make him a little more bloddy than the actual actor just for fun since this is not a truly accurate match anyway.

He's back!

The body proportions look perfect, but isn't that Barney body like a regular HT muscle body with the rubbery neck and torso? Or is it harder plastic throughout? I'm not really familiar with it, just concerned about paint on rubbery parts if that's what it has.

That head looks pretty good, though the pics are a little wide to fully judge. The great thing is he has his mo' which will up the likeness a bit no matter what.

Thanks!

The head isn't a perfact match -- it's Steve Austin from Heroic Criminal -- but it's hard to find a big bald bad guy. I had to 'shave' the goatee and leave the stache... but it's serviceable once I get rid of the baby-blues and add a little more blood to the nose.

I also have to paint the tattoos obviously.

The body is wider in the middle than the standard muscle body -- its like Whiplash and Odin -- so it works better for this guy... but sadly, he really doesn't have the overall size increase of the Mechanic. I'm cheating but giving him "lifts" in his boots to give him height but if I go too high he starts to looks like he has stubby arms.

Anyway, here he is basically finished (less the repaint):

Mechanic1-1.jpg
Mechanic2-1.jpg

Mechanic3-1.jpg
Mechanic4.jpg

Mechanic5.jpg

Question for the few who venture in here: the very first picture shows the Mechanic WITHOUT the thigh attachments and all the others he's wearing the thigh attachments. Any opinion on whether he looks better with or without those thigh muscle attachments?

I don't know how to remove them? Please share the secret. I don't want to damage the rubber -- the chest/torso is rubber -- but I'd rather not have to match paint and/or end up painting the entire body.

You can easily remove the tattoos using acetone.
I did that with two of mine and it works perfectly.

Just put a bit of acetone on a some cotton wool and gently brush.

Yep, removing the tattoos will make your project a lot easier. Then you can keep the original skin tone and just bloody him up :lecture

BTW, great job on this! Really a good looking custom :rock

You can easily remove the tattoos using acetone.
I did that with two of mine and it works perfectly.

Just put a bit of acetone on a some cotton wool and gently brush.

Thank you sir I'll give it a go.

BTW, great job on this! Really a good looking custom :rock

Thank you very much. I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't get the original one to work the way I envisioned it, but going this way was always simpler.

On the plus side I think this one looks better than the previous body. One other body option you might consider is the ACI Muscular body. It's a bit bigger and has a broad torso.

I don't own any, but seems they've gotten pretty good reviews.

That's great the acetone will remove the paint. Not sure painting a rubber body would work without the risk of getting sticky.

You gave the head a "shave" - let's see it closer. That must have been quite a job!

Back