Agonistes' Star Wars customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent work! Maul is one of my favorite characters and you made an already awesome figure even better! What color red did you use for the repaint?

They are all magnificent

Great work on your figures Agonistes! I really love that Maul repaint...Time to break out the brushes and try and do the same on mine:)

Excellent work! Maul is one of my favorite characters and you made an already awesome figure even better! What color red did you use for the repaint?

Thanks, guys! I think the repaint really makes Maul pop on the shelf and fixes my main issue with the HT version, other than the neck length.
I mostly use Citadel colours. I applied very thin layers, building it up slowly to preserve the texture and some depth. I ended up with a mixture of Evil Sunz Scarlet red and Golden Yellow, mixed to varying degrees per layer.

Time to update my thread again. Over the past months, I've mostly been working on Boba Fett and the SoloBones Stormtrooper buckets.

I still have lots to do on Fett, but I might as well share some WIP shots so far. I'm trying to go for 501st detail levels (for what's visible) where I can, though I'm making concessions where necessary. I'm almost done with his left gauntlet. I cracked open the HT, reduced it in circumference, sculpted some details on the back, and repainted the whole thing using Archive-X acrylic paints. I still need to weather it a bit, and finalize the flamethrower assembly. It's hard to capture the exact color tone in photos, the color looks a bit more muted in real life.

I also finished my first Stormtrooper bucket today. Super happy with the outcome, so great to finally be able to upgrade the HT version. :yess:The second bucket is ready for the black paint and decals, and now that I finished one, that shouldn't take all too long.

Attachments

• IMG_5725_3_small.jpg
    IMG_5725_3_small.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5730_3_small.jpg
    IMG_5730_3_small.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5761_2_small.jpg
    IMG_5761_2_small.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5775_2_small.jpg
    IMG_5775_2_small.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5827_2_small.jpg
    IMG_5827_2_small.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5829_2_small.jpg
    IMG_5829_2_small.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 52
Interested to see how those archive X paints look with all the various Boba colors assembled - if it "pops" as more accurate than HT, SSC, Marmit or Medi combos alone.

But yeah what a disappointment those HT ESB Boba gauntlets were (so huge in circumference), especially when the fig overall is quite nice. I have the Sideshow + Marmit versions on mine, and also recently bought the Medicom versions, which seem a tad more accurate though softer in sculpt like the Marmit vinyl ones.

Interested to see how those archive X paints look with all the various Boba colors assembled - if it "pops" as more accurate than HT, SSC, Marmit or Medi combos alone.

But yeah what a disappointment those HT ESB Boba gauntlets were (so huge in circumference), especially when the fig overall is quite nice. I have the Sideshow + Marmit versions on mine, and also recently bought the Medicom versions, which seem a tad more accurate though softer in sculpt like the Marmit vinyl ones.

Thanks! The gauntlets are now much closer in color to the medicom ones, which were already much more accurate than the HT. I originally made the mistake of not ordering the GN grey green which is essential, so I had to order that separately after my first order. It's still difficult to get the exact colour tone right, as it also changes a bit on screen depending on the scene and lighting used. The appearance on screen is more important to me than the actual prop color.

I'm also planning on repainting the chest armor while I'm at it, but I won't start that until after I finish the gauntlets.

For the right gauntlet, I'm going with the medicom version with some HT parts added BTW. The HT version was simply not salvageable IMO. Aside from the size, it also isn't very accurate in its details. I still haven't figured out what to do with those damn darts though. The HT are great sculpts but too large. I might just have to sacrifice accuracy and go with 4 needle tips or something.

I finished my second Stormtrooper bucket yesterday. Very happy to finally have both upgraded now. I also increased the height of the short Stormtrooper by making a new chest ball joint. The original one was just too short for my taste. Now there's just a subtle height difference between the two.

And I'm still making steady progress on Fett. The jumpsuit and pouches are now completely finished. I re-tailored, dyed and weathered them. I think I'm done with the underlying body as well, though I'll see once all the parts are done and I do the final fitting.
I also painted the knee pads and the right shoulder guard. They vary so much between yellow and orange on-screen depending on the lighting, so I went with something in between that I liked and matched the reference I liked most. I started the base green on the armor (groin, chest and back) as well, hoping to make some good progress on that.

IMG_5835_2_small.jpg

IMG_5839_2_small.jpg

IMG_5866_2_small.jpg
IMG_5844_2_small.jpg
IMG_5854_2_small.jpg

Making more progress on the armor. Only one more panel and the diamond left to do. Really happy with the progress so far.
I still have to figure out how to do the round chest emblem, the decal I got from ebay is too large unfortunately. Now looking into circle masking stickers so I can paint it myself. I should be able to do the wheat looking thing, tear drop and 7 by hand, but the circle needs by perfectly circular.

IMG_5906_small.jpg

I finished my second Stormtrooper bucket yesterday. Very happy to finally have both upgraded now. I also increased the height of the short Stormtrooper by making a new chest ball joint. The original one was just too short for my taste. Now there's just a subtle height difference between the two.

And I'm still making steady progress on Fett. The jumpsuit and pouches are now completely finished. I re-tailored, dyed and weathered them. I think I'm done with the underlying body as well, though I'll see once all the parts are done and I do the final fitting.
I also painted the knee pads and the right shoulder guard. They vary so much between yellow and orange on-screen depending on the lighting, so I went with something in between that I liked and matched the reference I liked most. I started the base green on the armor (groin, chest and back) as well, hoping to make some good progress on that.

View attachment 530197

View attachment 530198
View attachment 530199View attachment 530200View attachment 530201
Beautiful!!

Thanks, guys!

I realized I never posted it in here, but I also finished the remaining chest with the emblem a few months back.
I got circular decals in various sizes (in 0.1mm steps) from an aviation hobby shop and cut them to size. Then with a 5/0 brush and magnifying glasses I painted it over the course of a couple of hours. First the blue shape, then the inner white, then the shapes, and then chipped some of the paint here and there and it weathered slightly.
I'm very happy with the outcome. :)

received_426979095145509.jpeg

Thanks, guys!

I realized I never posted it in here, but I also finished the remaining chest with the emblem a few months back.
I got circular decals in various sizes (in 0.1mm steps) from an aviation hobby shop and cut them to size. Then with a 5/0 brush and magnifying glasses I painted it over the course of a couple of hours. First the blue shape, then the inner white, then the shapes, and then chipped some of the paint here and there and it weathered slightly.
I'm very happy with the outcome. :)

View attachment 541843
Wow, most excellent! :clap :horror

So you didn't get a custom-sized decal made up, you just used blank decal circles and then hand painted the branch graphic and other details?

And is that armor from a figure, or combined from various figures, or custom made? Just before HT did their Fett, I actually made a full set of Fett armor from scratch (using styrene) and recently came across it again and realized it's a little more accurate than the HT armor so I will build a custom Fett from it. I even took a crack at doing a helmet but didn't finish it because the HT figure came out (I assumed the HT Fett helmets were fully accurate - they of course weren't.)

Wow, most excellent! :clap :horror

So you didn't get a custom-sized decal made up, you just used blank decal circles and then hand painted the branch graphic and other details?

Thanks!
Yes exactly. Here are some progress shots I took during:
20211019_122835 (1).jpg

I might try the same for the shoulder mythosaur, as the decal I have is ROTJ instead of ESB. It's much more complex in shape though, so I'll have to see.

And is that armor from a figure, or combined from various figures, or custom made? Just before HT did their Fett, I actually made a full set of Fett armor from scratch (using styrene) and recently came across it again and realized it's a little more accurate than the HT armor so I will build a custom Fett from it. I even took a crack at doing a helmet but didn't finish it because the HT figure came out (I assumed the HT Fett helmets were fully accurate - they of course weren't.)
It's all HT armor. While painting I also noticed some areas where it was off, but overall I felt it is accurate enough for my taste. Very curious about your custom panels though!
For the helmet, I want to get a 1:6 print of the MinuteFett legacy helmet scan to replace the HT, so I won't bother repainting the HT in the meantime.
For the gauntlets, I'm using a modified medicom on the right (adding some HT parts), and a modified HT for the left. I mainly reduced the HT circumference and am reworking the flame thrower and some other bits to be more accurate.

My fingers are itching to continue working on this, but everything is packed away at the moment due to renovations and the birth of my daughter. I'm hoping to continue early next year realistically, after I've had time to build my new collection and workshop room.

What exactly did you do to your Stormtrooper buckets? They look really great, much nicer and more polished than the versions I've seen before.
Thanks!
I first dremeled out the inside of the helmets and made the eye holes. Then I started sanding like crazy, using sandpaper grit 600 - 1000. To even out the thicker cast lines, I applied Mr. Surfacer 1200. Apply, wait to dry, sand, apply more - repeat until the surfaces were smooth.
Then I primed the helmets with Tamiya fine surface primer light gray. This shows you more uneven areas, which I again sanded until satisfied. Finally I applied a couple of thin coats of Tamiya TS-26 white gloss, and a final wet coat. Then painted the details, applied decals and added the green acetate sheet lenses.

The key really is time and patience though. For example, once I watched a movie on the couch, and during the entire length sanded two helmets with grit 1000, just getting into all the small crevices to get the details sharp.

Your customs are amazing! I don't think I'd have the patience to sand the stormies like you did lol. Any other projects on the horizon?

Thanks!
Once my new workshop/office/collection room is set up, my first priority is finishing Fett. After him, I will see what I'm in the mood for. I have a list of about 8 customs to-do, a couple of which are SW. I might go for the 1:4 HT Vader next: I want to resculpt and repaint the mask slightly to get rid of the mold lines, fix some body proportions and make a new inner cape.

Back