Collection Stash: A Collection Cataloging and Collectible Archiving Platform

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is funny. Pretty sure a while back Stash My Comics ripped off our data when they added support for action figures.

They obviously didn't do a very good job - just made some cursory search results comparisons, their content is very limited.

What a bunch of A-holes. How did they do it ? What can we do ?

DMCA complaint from a friendly lawyer? Anyone here licensed to practice law or work in a law office?

What a bunch of A-holes. How did they do it ? What can we do ?

They obviously didn't do a very good job - just made some cursory search results comparisons, their content is very limited.

DMCA complaint from a friendly lawyer? Anyone here licensed to practice law or work in a law office?

Ya, they basically tried to support what we support on their existing platform without really changing their platform. For instance, if you try to search for action figures, the search listing still shows up like it is searching for comics. If we ever support comics, we would fully support comics, not try to hack in a half assed solution.

They must have wrote a script to screen-scrape our site, which is perfectly legal since we allow that for search engines. As of now, I plan on letting it go, unless I find out they continue to screen-scrape us, then we will be having words.

I just noticed that when I look at my stashed collectibles in list mode there are no values under "Collection Stash Value" even though the value will show in the item's details. Not a terribly big deal since the value is still calculated and included in my total value but figured I'd bring it to your attention.

I just noticed that when I look at my stashed collectibles in list mode there are no values under "Collection Stash Value" even though the value will show in the item's details. Not a terribly big deal since the value is still calculated and included in my total value but figured I'd bring it to your attention.

Good catch, I will open up a ticket for that. If you go under history, you should be able to see them there for the time being.

Thoughts on a rating system for simple user rating of collectibles?

Here are a couple options I am thinking:

• Like/Don't Like
  • Like/Okay/Don't Like
  • 5 star rating (similar to say netflix)

This would be for simple fast ratings but not reviews. A more in-depth review system might come later.

Thoughts on a rating system for simple user rating of collectibles?

Here are a couple options I am thinking:

• Like/Don't Like
  • Like/Okay/Don't Like
  • 5 star rating (similar to say netflix)

This would be for simple fast ratings but not reviews. A more in-depth review system might come later.

Do you mean rating the item as made by the manufacturer, new in the box? Or a rating of the item in the person's collection?

Perhaps both should be implemented...a rating as to how good the product quality is (sculpt, materials, manufacturing quality, etc), with a 1-10 rating (finer control over rating that 1-5 stars...besides, stars are over used, especially with yelp for restaraunts and with movie reviews), and then a personal rating for the quality of the item in the individual collection, using the standard ratings used for comics (fair, good, very good, near mint, mint, new-in-the-box). Perhaps add an "other" to that, for hand-made or other one-of-a-kind items.

Just my thoughts....one of these days I really need to get back into it and get my collection updated.

A rating system would be awesome. There are a lot of times I see stuff on the site that I'm thinking about getting but would like to know what people think. This would be a great way to get a quick idea. I get on SSF and search the threads but most of the time there's so much garbage to sift through that it's tough to get a general consensus and I give up. :lol

Do you mean rating the item as made by the manufacturer, new in the box? Or a rating of the item in the person's collection?

Perhaps both should be implemented...a rating as to how good the product quality is (sculpt, materials, manufacturing quality, etc), with a 1-10 rating (finer control over rating that 1-5 stars...besides, stars are over used, especially with yelp for restaraunts and with movie reviews), and then a personal rating for the quality of the item in the individual collection, using the standard ratings used for comics (fair, good, very good, near mint, mint, new-in-the-box). Perhaps add an "other" to that, for hand-made or other one-of-a-kind items.

Just my thoughts....one of these days I really need to get back into it and get my collection updated.

A rating system would be awesome. There are a lot of times I see stuff on the site that I'm thinking about getting but would like to know what people think. This would be a great way to get a quick idea. I get on SSF and search the threads but most of the time there's so much garbage to sift through that it's tough to get a general consensus and I give up. :lol

I am thinking of a rating system made by the manufacturer, new in the box. We do have a condition feature right now per collectible but that could be expanded on later.

Trying to decide if it makes sense to have a different rating system vs review system. A rating/like system would be something as simple as, like/dislike or 5 star rating, where as a review system would be slightly more complex. Maybe it makes sense just to implement a review system but you can be lax on how detailed you get?

The star system would be easier to see how well someone liked the piece, but a review system would be good for listing any positives or nitpicks/common issues that were found by owners.

The star system would be easier to see how well someone liked the piece, but a review system would be good for listing any positives or nitpicks/common issues that were found by owners.

I would like to get to the point where I can build out a pretty solid review system so that people can review collectibles without having to host their own sites. I would also love to be able to link other reviews to our site, similar to RT or Metacritic but for collectibles. So we can see some of the major toy reviewers reviews aggregated in one spot.

The issue I see with a binary rating (like/don't like) is that if it's in your collection, it's all going to be "like" and that doesn't allow you to rank within your collection.

The issue with a 5 point system is also fidelity. For one's own personal collection, ranking something 1 doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, it can just mean it's at the bottom of what's considered acceptable. So it could be 1=good 5=amazing

At the end of the day I don't think any system will be perfect because people may have different requirements for what they want the rating to mean within their own collection. So given the nature of the site, because this is about collecting and what's personal to the collector, it's a good idea to make sure that both the public and private rating are easily displayed. Public is aggregate and private is specific to the user as expected. I may not be interested in seeing the public rating for items in my own collection, but I'd very much want to see my own private rating.

The issue I see with a binary rating (like/don't like) is that if it's in your collection, it's all going to be "like" and that doesn't allow you to rank within your collection.

The issue with a 5 point system is also fidelity. For one's own personal collection, ranking something 1 doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, it can just mean it's at the bottom of what's considered acceptable. So it could be 1=good 5=amazing

At the end of the day I don't think any system will be perfect because people may have different requirements for what they want the rating to mean within their own collection. So given the nature of the site, because this is about collecting and what's personal to the collector, it's a good idea to make sure that both the public and private rating are easily displayed. Public is aggregate and private is specific to the user as expected. I may not be interested in seeing the public rating for items in my own collection, but I'd very much want to see my own private rating.

Ya I definitely see your point with the binary rating. I do foresee people who pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars on collectibles being slightly biased when they rate collectibles they own.

We aggregate the ratings in multiple ways as well, one for all of the people who own it, one for the people who don't own it, and then a total aggregation. If you are looking at your stash or your collectible, you would only see your rating but you could go to the main product page and see the breakdown of all of the ratings. We definitely wouldn't want to make anyone feel like an outcast when they look at their collections because a lot of people rated their stuff low.

If you are looking at your stash or your collectible, you would only see your rating but you could go to the main product page and see the breakdown of all of the ratings. We definitely wouldn't want to make anyone feel like an outcast when they look at their collections because a lot of people rated their stuff low.

That sounds great. It's a shame that so many other (unrelated) sites with personal ratings features don't offer that ability.

I think the five star rating would be great as you said ala Netflix.

I think offering the opportunity to do full reviews is also very cool as people can support their ratings. But ... I think their has to be some order to it. They may need to be approved or something in order to keep the BS out off the site. (I'd be happy to help with that if you like).

I think the five star rating would be great as you said ala Netflix.

I think offering the opportunity to do full reviews is also very cool as people can support their ratings. But ... I think their has to be some order to it. They may need to be approved or something in order to keep the BS out off the site. (I'd be happy to help with that if you like).

Ya that is definitely something that will be necessary. I would like to something similar to RT where there are more "official" reviewers like CoolToyReview or Crawfords that we can auto link to collectibles. I wouldn't expect these people to actually submit their reviews to the site but it would be nice to be able to link them from our site.

But then any user can do a full review of a collectible, and maybe with some sort of reviewer/voting system their reviews would get sorted or ordered higher after doing them for a while.

A user review would be cool. But I still think an approval rating would be needed or it can get bogged down with crap comments.

Then ... work in a... was this review helpful type of thumbs up or down. That will help rate the review and then you can order them as a result.

Back