Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

I bet the superbowl ad is 29 seconds of Sam Jackson talking about WW2 and Captain America, followed by a 1 second of a shot of Chris Evans from behind.

We definitely need to see more of Chris Evans' behind than just one second.

yep... only one thing can make the suit look terrible.. and that will be the movie (IF it stinks)

Suit is defo growing on me but the shield looks a little undersized

So, are the modern bookends no longer in the movie, that's how I read it. :dunno

I don't know if agree with Johnston's take on Raiders though :dunno

Bottom line for me, I love the costume but still skeptical about the movie :dunno

From Feige, Johnston and Evans:

"Scripts had been developed that took place half in World War Two, half in the modern day and none of those scripts were particularly successful because the costume ended up overshadowing the man," says Marvel chief Kevin Feige. "So we finally said, 'If we could make a Captain America movie any way we wanted to make it, how would we make it?' Well, we'd set the entire movie in the past, in that period, with all of the Marvel trimmings. And so we made the fun, kick-ass Captain America movie we wanted to."

"I've always loved Raiders and the tone that it had," says director Joe Johnston. "It was period but didn't feel like it was made in the period. It felt like a modern-day film about the period, which is what we're doing on Captain America. It will not feel like a war movie. It's funny where it needs to be and emotional where it needs to be and serious and full of action."

And he's not just an American hero, argues Evans. "I think he's the ideal human," says Evans. "Not just American. It's what being a good person is. Steve's managed to overcome all the shortcomings he's had in life and he does what's good and what he believes is right."

Last edited:

Yeah something about the way he describes Raiders is off, but I haven't seen that many movies made in the 30's to know whether it is accurate.

I think the movie is still going to have bookends, they're just going to be very small.

Yeah something about the way he describes Raiders is off, but I haven't seen that many movies made in the 30's to know whether it is accurate.

I think the movie is still going to have bookends, they're just going to be very small.

I agree. It's almost like he totally got Raiders wrong. I'm still leery of Johnston's ability to make a good movie. Serviceable and adequate, yes. But "good" or even "great"? That's a long shot.

So, are the modern bookends no longer in the movie, that's how I read it. :dunno

I don't know if agree with Johnston's take on Raiders though :dunno

Bottom line for me, I love the costume but still skeptical about the movie :dunno

From Feige, Johnston and Evans:

"Scripts had been developed that took place half in World War Two, half in the modern day and none of those scripts were particularly successful because the costume ended up overshadowing the man," says Marvel chief Kevin Feige. "So we finally said, 'If we could make a Captain America movie any way we wanted to make it, how would we make it?' Well, we'd set the entire movie in the past, in that period, with all of the Marvel trimmings. And so we made the fun, kick-ass Captain America movie we wanted to."

"I've always loved Raiders and the tone that it had," says director Joe Johnston. "It was period but didn't feel like it was made in the period. It felt like a modern-day film about the period, which is what we're doing on Captain America. It will not feel like a war movie. It's funny where it needs to be and emotional where it needs to be and serious and full of action."

And he's not just an American hero, argues Evans. "I think he's the ideal human," says Evans. "Not just American. It's what being a good person is. Steve's managed to overcome all the shortcomings he's had in life and he does what's good and what he believes is right."

It's quotes like this that make me think that this movie will be a total waste. "Not just an American hero"? Maybe some one should whisper in Evan's ear that the flipping character is named CAPTAIN AMERICA!!! :gah::gah:

We haven't seen one shot of regular looking german soldiers and tbh, I'm a bit concerned everyone looks like a GI Joe figure.

We haven't seen one shot of regular looking german soldiers and tbh, I'm a bit concerned everyone looks like a GI Joe figure.

The first chapter of marketing 101 covers this.

Stay away from controversial figures that cause "bad feelings" or have "historical baggage" and go with kid friendly designs that are easily marketable.

The first chapter of marketing 101 covers this.

Stay away from controversial figures that cause "bad feelings" or have "historical baggage" and go with kid friendly designs that are easily marketable.

Welcome to Marvel pictures as a whole.

Not that if we did see that would it guarantee a good movie but I would certainly have to agree with your statement.

Back