Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved this movie!! only thing i have to nitpick was one part of the editing. I don't know if anyone caught it but its near the final fight when hes chasing the hydra air craft and jumps in slow motion onto a rope and starts swinging, then it fastly cuts into him running.

lol I think they were trying to save a few seconds and a $$$ by letting to viewer finish the fact he lands and starts running.

lol I think they were trying to save a few seconds and a $$$ by letting to viewer finish the fact he lands and starts running.

hahah it was really awkward, but a little flaw in a really good and enjoyable movie. hot toys has my money again.. I think Evans was PERFECT in this role. He had alot of heart and soul, if that makes any sense.

I loved this movie!! Definitely want to watch it again! :rock I thought that Hugo was awesome as Red Skull I just wanted to see more of him. But Evans as good ol Captain America was a good choice! Definitely a great film! A lot of fun :D

I loved this movie!! only thing i have to nitpick was one part of the editing. I don't know if anyone caught it but its near the final fight when hes chasing the hydra air craft and jumps in slow motion onto a rope and starts swinging, then it fastly cuts into him running.

Yup, know exactly what scene you're talking about :lol

But like you said, just one tiny hiccup in an otherwise spectacular movie.

I can not wait to see this movie. My brother works for Dr Pepper and saw an advance screening yesterday. He said it is better than Iron Man.

He did say that there were about 300 people that stayed for the post-credit scene and were...considerably miffed.

This is why people shouldnt judge production pics and teaser trailers and condemn the movie until they see it for themselves.

LOL...I have been refraining from saying..."told ya so"...to those who were haters early on.

I am really glad this movie seems to be a great one so far.

It's amazing the level of quality this movie possesses.

The look of the movie was also breathtaking.

The acting was oscar worthy from the doctor and peggy and even Chris Evans shined really strong as did TLJ.

The effects and action were top notch.

What's funny was that it seemed to me that they allowed the 3D to be muted until he got his official costume, then the 3D opened up.

BTW, the Art Book is a must own.

My two cents...Saw Cap last night / this morning (a few hours ago).

It's large blockbuster movies like these that make me glad that my younger bro manages an AMC. Arrived at the theater at 11:45 for a midnight show and the line was long as crap. Luckily, I walked right up to the front, my bro waved me through, and I got awesome seats.

Movie ran two hours and twenty minutes (what's up with the long running times these days?). Origin stories can be tedious, and I think this was weighed down slightly by the need to be the "origin" story. The movie did a great job of currrently tying in all Marvel Studios properties: Howard Stark plays a role, and though I haven't seen Thor yet, I know enough about Norse mythology to catch the references (the Yggdrasil, etc.).

As expected (and seen in the bootleg videos), the crowd went ape_____ for The Avengers trailer. Clearer look confirmed that Loki is in the previews, and Nick Fury seems to play a larger role...

And I could have sworn I saw Hugo Weaving (in suit and sunglasses like Agent Smith).

Solid film, I'd say 8 /10. Not as good as X-Men: First Class, and in comparison to other Marvel Studios films, not as good as the first Iron Man but on par or slightly better than Iron Man 2.

Oh and for the new Spidey preview, half the crowd was cheering and half the crowd was booing.

My two cents...Saw Cap last night / this morning (a few hours ago).

It's large blockbuster movies like these that make me glad that my younger bro manages an AMC. Arrived at the theater at 11:45 for a midnight show and the line was long as crap. Luckily, I walked right up to the front, my bro waved me through, and I got awesome seats.

Movie ran two hours and twenty minutes (what's up with the long running times these days?). Origin stories can be tedious, and I think this was weighed down slightly by the need to be the "origin" story. The movie did a great job of currrently tying in all Marvel Studios properties: Howard Stark plays a role, and though I haven't seen Thor yet, I know enough about Norse mythology to catch the references (the Yggdrasil, etc.).

As expected (and seen in the bootleg videos), the crowd went ape_____ for The Avengers trailer. Clearer look confirmed that Loki is in the previews, and Nick Fury seems to play a larger role...

And I could have sworn I saw Hugo Weaving (in suit and sunglasses like Agent Smith).

Solid film, I'd say 8 /10. Not as good as X-Men: First Class, and in comparison to other Marvel Studios films, not as good as the first Iron Man but on par or slightly better than Iron Man 2.

Oh and for the new Spidey preview, half the crowd was cheering and half the crowd was booing.

:lol:lol:lol

I saw it last night, loved it. Second best Marvel movie this year for me this summer. I'll be seeing this agian on Sunday.

Another cool thing, the crowd started chanting "USA! USA! USA!" as the film started. :lol

And saw at least two guys bringing Cap shields into the film.

i'd go see this today if i could but fortunately i am going to a metal concert festival and will be out all day. maybe next week, but these reviews have got me pumped up

I'm really torn about this movie. I have terribly low standards for comic book films and can enjoy them if they're colorful and entertaining. Thankfully, I was entertained, but Cap has always been one of my favorites.

The Good: Casting was great. Evans really became the character, and had a likable supporting cast. The story was solid, and I liked the universal message about being a genuinely decent human being.
And for the most part, I really liked the re-creation of 1940's America. The first ninety minutes was the stronger part of the film.

The Bothersome: HATED the stupid, futuristic GI JOE ripoffs in the form of HYDRA. I know it was in the trailers, and I was expecting to brush it off since it is a comic book movie. But since they did such a great job with the American sequences, it was really jarring to see these Star Wars-style villains with futuristic technology blasting everything like a video game. I realize the cosmic cube explanation, but I don't buy it. They could have given HYDRA a more steampunk/retro quality, and it wouldn't have bugged me as much.

Then there's the overall squeaky clean/sterile CGI aesthetic. This is the same problem INDY 4 had. Aside from the "Brooklyn" exteriors, everything has this glossy, waxy look and makes you know you are watching a processed Hollywood film. Not saying it needs to look like INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, but since FIRST CLASS made a fantasy/period piece that was grounded and believable, this just misses the mark, especially in the last hour when we're watching CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE VIDEO GAME. Those HYDRA compounds look clean enough to eat off the floor.

Since my feelings are mixed, I really need to see it again to have a final opinion. Still enjoyable, just could've had a stronger punch.

My brother, his wife, and their daughter were about numbers 98, 99, and 100 in line to see the advanced screening that they went to. They all got papers that they could trade for original movie posters (the first 100 people got them). They were kind enough to give two of them to people who did not get them...then, during the movie, my niece got excited by the action and started to do karate and damaged the poster that they got.:)

I'm really torn about this movie. I have terribly low standards for comic book films and can enjoy them if they're colorful and entertaining. Thankfully, I was entertained, but Cap has always been one of my favorites.

The Good: Casting was great. Evans really became the character, and had a likable supporting cast. The story was solid, and I liked the universal message about being a genuinely decent human being.
And for the most part, I really liked the re-creation of 1940's America. The first ninety minutes was the stronger part of the film.

The Bothersome: HATED the stupid, futuristic GI JOE ripoffs in the form of HYDRA. I know it was in the trailers, and I was expecting to brush it off since it is a comic book movie. But since they did such a great job with the American sequences, it was really jarring to see these Star Wars-style villains with futuristic technology blasting everything like a video game. I realize the cosmic cube explanation, but I don't buy it. They could have given HYDRA a more steampunk/retro quality, and it wouldn't have bugged me as much.

Then there's the overall squeaky clean/sterile CGI aesthetic. This is the same problem INDY 4 had. Aside from the "Brooklyn" exteriors, everything has this glossy, waxy look and makes you know you are watching a processed Hollywood film. Not saying it needs to look like INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, but since FIRST CLASS made a fantasy/period piece that was grounded and believable, this just misses the mark, especially in the last hour when we're watching CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE VIDEO GAME. Those HYDRA compounds look clean enough to eat off the floor.

Since my feelings are mixed, I really need to see it again to have a final opinion. Still enjoyable, just could've had a stronger punch.

This kind of how I feel about the CGI coming up on Planet of the Apes. When the CGI is too "clean"...it makes it look fake. A little messing up of the CGI stuff really goes a long way toward selling it.

I think this movie classifies as a crowd pleaser. I live in a small town in Idaho with a six screen first run theater. They had two screens sold out. I showed up about 11:30 p.m., which is when I showed up to the Thor midnight screening. For Thor I walked in and sat down and the theater filled up slowly up until the movie started. With Captain America, I showed up at 11:20 p.m. and the line was out the door. The crowd seemed to eat it up and people freaked over the Avengers teaser.
Overall, I was pretty happy with the film. I had always thought Chris Evans was a good choice and I think he nailed the part. I don't see the Avengers having any weak links at this point. My only complaint about it was I felt it could have been 15 minutes longer. I suppose it is good the movie didn't wear out its welcome. The problem with Transformers: Dark of the Moon was it needed to be 20 minutes shorter because that did wear out its welcome.

Went to the cinema que today to see this movie. Then noticed that its not showing. Maybe next week. Just checked online and aint coming to the middle east until Septpember. Like Dam the movie will be half way out for release on blu-ray by then. How can I wait that long?

It's amazing the level of quality this movie possesses.

The look of the movie was also breathtaking.

The acting was oscar worthy from the doctor and peggy and even Chris Evans shined really strong as did TLJ.

The effects and action were top notch.

What's funny was that it seemed to me that they allowed the 3D to be muted until he got his official costume, then the 3D opened up.

BTW, the Art Book is a must own.

I just returned from seeing it, the movie is fantastic. I don't have time to go into details running out the door but I agree with almost everything J4.

The only negative I can say is the SEO (I understand it is part of the story) and the last 10 mins (piece they added in Times Square). The film would been even stronger if ended without it. I understand needed to set up the Avengers.

8.5 /10 Fantastic!!!!!

Back