Captain America: Civil War (May 6, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus, back to this topic but I thought Bendis' New Avengers was actually really good. It's probably my favorite team of heroes and I'm glad almost everyone in that team is basically in the movies and shows now. Just give me Jessica Drew and I can die happy. Carol can't go on without her bestie! Dark Avengers was fantastic though, along with House of M and I don't think Secret Invasion was as bad as everyone thought it was. The only problem o have with Bendis is that he can ramble a little too long or even have some cringeworthy awkward small bouts of dialogue but I think there's a sweet spot for Bendis.

Yep. This. So much this. I still think that it would've turned out even better with Ellis, but Bendis knocked it out of the park on that one. Granted, the stories were so-so and the book never really "went" anywhere, but the character interactions were gold. To thiss day, this panel remains my favourite "there's no time to explain" image:

81zQU30.jpg

I will agree that Bendis is not absymal, and at times great, but he needs to stick with the stuff he can write. Cosmic/Grand Scale stories aren't his forte.

It would have been overly simplistic to have both main protagonists never change their stance or doubt their ideologies. But the events in the Avenger films affect Tony way more than anyone else. He's the only one who descended into irresponsibility and self-pity. He was the only one who suffered from PTSD from the end of Avengers. It was Scarlet Witch who exploited his fears to have him create Ultron (a disaster). Unlike Cap, he isn't a soldier. He hasn't coped with death well whereas Steve Rogers was ready for war since he was a kid. And everything that comes with war. In fact his deepest fear is missing the war. Civil War I thought did a great job of carrying out these two perspectives on the collision course. And it felt natural...not rushed.

It's so easy for people to say Cap is right and Tony is wrong. I think they both were trying to be heroic. But Tony is the one who always deals with personal vengeance. Aside from seeing kids get killed my his own company's weapons in the first IM, he had to deal with Whiplash's vengeance, Killian's killing of innocent people due to his desired revenge on Tony, his brain child Ultron absolutely despised him (as Vision so subtly points out lol). His fear was that he'd see all his friends dead around him and yet he'd survive to blame himself. In Civil War...he was the one who had the civilian standing there during his speech to personally blame him all this time after AoU. Steve has been face to face with collateral damage--Tony still feel like he can and should save everybody with his tech.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep. This. So much this. I still think that it would've turned out even better with Ellis, but Bendis knocked it out of the park on that one. Granted, the stories were so-so and the book never really "went" anywhere, but the character interactions were gold. To thiss day, this panel remains my favourite "there's no time to explain" image:

81zQU30.jpg

I will agree that Bendis is not absymal, and at times great, but he needs to stick with the stuff he can write. Cosmic/Grand Scale stories aren't his forte.

That's why we have Jonathan Hickman and Jim Starlin. ;)

I will say that hands down CW honored its movie title the most, it delivered as advertized and then some!

The airport battle lasted 18 minutes not including the additional confrontation at the climax!

BvS confrontation was over in 5 minutes!

Winner CW.

I will say that hands down CW honored its movie title the most, it delivered as advertized and then some!

The airport battle lasted 18 minutes not including the additional confrontation at the climax!

Winner CW.

This. There's no comparison really. :lecture

Winner CW.

Airport battle in CW showcased every character using their unique skills while incorporating character moments, humor, and a sense of respect and camaraderie even amongst opponents.

Mad Batman hit Sad Superman with a sink and then freaked out because Superman said Martha.

Sounds like a tie.

Winner CW.

Not to mention there are two fights in Civil War and both because of ideological and personal reasons, unlike the other movie.

Airport battle in CW showcased every character using their unique skills while incorporating character moments, humor, and a sense of respect and camaraderie even amongst opponents.

Mad Batman hit Sad Superman with a sink and then freaked out because Superman said Martha.

Sounds like a tie.

Yup, and the epic battle 76 years in the making happened because Lex kidnapped Sups mommy and I guess Superman couldn't find her with all his powers, even though he had like an hour, super speed and X Ray vision ....wut :rotfl

Watched this a 2nd time. What I love about the subsequent viewings is that you get to enjoy other aspects of the movie without having to keep up with the plot.

The airport battle is just perfect. Even better the 2nd time. I was so excited for Tony vs Cap, the introduction of BP and SM, and trying to figure out how Zemo and the 4 other Winter Soldiers were going to tie into this that I wasn't able to process how awesome Ant-Man was. Paul Rudd is a straight up gem in this! Brought so much with the little time he had.

Just imagining scenes with Scott Lang and Rocket :panic::rotfl

Yup, and the epic battle 76 years in the making happened because Lex kidnapped Sups mommy and I guess Superman couldn't find her with all his powers, even though he had like an hour, super speed and X Ray vision ....wut :rotfl

Wasn't the first thing he learned in MOS to shut out everything else in the world and focus on his mother? At least he gave it a shot.

Oh....

Sounds like a tie.

:lol:lol

I was really disappointed with the action in BVS. I was expecting to be blown away. Didn't help that they crammed all of it into the last ten minutes, either.

Sounds like a tie.

:lol :lol

Watched this a 2nd time. What I love about the subsequent viewings is that you get to enjoy other aspects of the movie without having to keep up with the plot.

The airport battle is just perfect. Even better the 2nd time. I was so excited for Tony vs Cap, the introduction of BP and SM, and trying to figure out how Zemo and the 4 other Winter Soldiers were going to tie into this that I wasn't able to process how awesome Ant-Man was. Paul Rudd is a straight up gem in this! Brought so much with the little time he had.

Just imagining scenes with Scott Lang and Rocket :panic::rotfl

:exactly:

Wasn't the first thing he learned in MOS to shut out everything else in the world and focus on his mother? At least he gave it a shot.

Oh....

:lol

Dunno if this was discussed already, but... where was Vision during their operation in Lagos?
I understand he's not good at blendin' with the crowd but could be helpful afterwards.
Falcon was just waitin' on the roof, geared up. Vision could do the same.

Dunno if this was discussed already, but... where was Vision during their operation in Lagos?
I understand he's not good at blendin' with the crowd but could be helpful afterwards.
Falcon was just waitin' on the roof, geared up. Vision could do the same.

Busy with paprika.

Need a meme with the Avengers getting their ass kicked by Thanos while Vision is cooking pasta. :lol

The unfortunate reality is that most, if not all, of these movies will not hold up under scrutiny so the best way to combat that head on is by making the movie entertaining, as in action-packed and fun, fans will appreciate it by being more forgiving by not harping on the inaccuracies and instead focussing on what did work.

But the studio also needs to at least give a valiant effort on the narrative, as it was done with CW.

The same could be said for War Machine. I think he would have made a difference in Lagos too.

Back