Captain America: Civil War (May 6, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pMjZJif.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

I saw this yesterday. I have to say I haven't read through this whole thread, so I apologize. The action was amazing, and I love how the Russo bros' stunts look. Better than Whedon's, and on par with TWS. Just beautifully choreographed. I liked that everyone had their moments, even people with tiny parts like Ant-Man and Scarlet Witch. It showed what made all of these people tick. The banter between Falcon and Winter Soldier was great. And usually telling (at least for me), my non-comic-movie-fan wife, who I drag to all of these, got so invested that she loudly gasped

Spoiler Spoiler:

But the storyline felt thin. The motivation for everyone to fight felt a bit forced. I feel like there could've been more time spent on coming to some sort of compromise - I feel like these characters have known each other for so long that it was worth a shot. And both IM and Cap felt like exaggerated versions of themselves, hell-bent on proving they were right. IM more so than Cap. Zemo was fine, and I thought that the basic premise of taking responsibility for your actions and dealing with the not-so-great consequences when you have good intentions made a lot of sense after AoU. But the "what-is-this-guy up to" points felt weak compared to TWS. Sharon got the short end of the stick.

Speaking of Sharon, did anyone else feel that there were certain points that just seemed like they came out of nowhere?

Spoiler Spoiler:

Look, I LIKE the basic idea. It just, I think, needed a few rewrites to get to the point where it make sense. What really annoyed me in the list above was just how caricature-ish Cap and IM became.

Yea that was my only problem with the flick is the initial conflict was felt very forced. Though the stipulations on the Avengers had solid merit. Tony and Banner are responsible for everything Ultron related. Scarlet Witches actions directly killed innocent people. A team like this should have restrictions.

Tonys action at the end was very justified and I don't think anyone would have reacted different. It didn't end as I thought it would. I was expecting WS to get the upper hand on IM and not stopping and then Cap having to put him down to stop him.

I enjoyed most everything else. Panther was kewl. Ant Man wasn't quite as lame. Hawkeye was still lame. Crossbones was a joke. Spidey was greatly depowered, but rocked. I :lol 'd at the steel arm grab. I :lol 'd at the seat joke.

I still liked TWS more.

CB was appropriately used in the sense that you can't have every baddie being a difficult challenge to beat, you need a mid level heavy being moderately easy to take out as a way to demonstrate and remind us just how powerful and talented the primary hero are.

Besides, the movie isn't called Cap v Crossbone. :lol

This movie easily surpassed the action beats from TWS, one can point out not surprising considering the talent behind it, but still not an easy task.

TWS seemed a bit tighter. CW was a little long winded.

And yea, Black Widow could have taken 'Bones down herself. Chick was knocking out his heavy geared soldiers with a single punch. And peps were nitpicking Batman tossing dudes into walls....

The Winter Soldier was a more straight forward movie than Civil War. Civil War is a more convoluted movie.

I felt that the tone from CW was handled better than the espionage lite tone from TWS.

I loved the dichotomy between the small personal drama at the core of the plot to the very large group affected by it.

CW was uneven and choppy and overstuffed- oh wait that's what some of you say about my fav BvS!!!!!:lol

Yeah CW was good but nowhere near TWS of TFA....very enjoyable but I know watching it not on the level , to me, as IM, GoTG or even Avengers. I do feel like it stopped and started constantly and my biggest gripe is about "light fun" airport scene feeling like a totally different film than the intensity/serious conflicts in the rest of movie- and the reason is because it features the "family friendly Spidey" in action. Great to see Cap almost getting his a** handed to him by Spidey.

Last edited:
I saw this yesterday. I have to say I haven't read through this whole thread, so I apologize. The action was amazing, and I love how the Russo bros' stunts look. Better than Whedon's, and on par with TWS. Just beautifully choreographed. I liked that everyone had their moments, even people with tiny parts like Ant-Man and Scarlet Witch. It showed what made all of these people tick. The banter between Falcon and Winter Soldier was great. And usually telling (at least for me), my non-comic-movie-fan wife, who I drag to all of these, got so invested that she loudly gasped

Spoiler Spoiler:

But the storyline felt thin. The motivation for everyone to fight felt a bit forced. I feel like there could've been more time spent on coming to some sort of compromise - I feel like these characters have known each other for so long that it was worth a shot. And both IM and Cap felt like exaggerated versions of themselves, hell-bent on proving they were right. IM more so than Cap. Zemo was fine, and I thought that the basic premise of taking responsibility for your actions and dealing with the not-so-great consequences when you have good intentions made a lot of sense after AoU. But the "what-is-this-guy up to" points felt weak compared to TWS. Sharon got the short end of the stick.

Speaking of Sharon, did anyone else feel that there were certain points that just seemed like they came out of nowhere?

Spoiler Spoiler:

Look, I LIKE the basic idea. It just, I think, needed a few rewrites to get to the point where it make sense. What really annoyed me in the list above was just how caricature-ish Cap and IM became.

Excellent points- I agree too much was out of his hands and alot had to bear some kind of effects to make his plan more workable.

In other words the story wasn't that strong and plot holes galore, same old thing these movies just ignore...

CW was uneven and choppy and overstuffed- oh wait that's what some of you say about my fav BvS!!!!!:lol

Yeah CW was good but nowhere near TWS of TFA....very enjoyable but I know watching it not on the level , to me, as IM, GoTG or even Avengers. I do feel like it stopped and started constantly and my biggest gripe is about "light fun" airport scene feeling like a totally different film than the intensity/serious conflicts in the rest of movie- and the reason is because it features the "family friendly Spidey" in action. Great to see Cap almost getting his a** handed to him by Spidey.

The movie didn't feel choppy to me, if anything it flowed as smooth as pee after 3 cups of coffee.

There were a lot of characters and a lot of things going on in CW, but everything was balanced really well and it flowed pretty nicely. That's the difference between a well made film and a poorly made one.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree everything in CW flowed to its own conclusion nicely. Instead of some big action scene where buildings are destroyed and gratuitous destruction happens, like at the end of both Avengers movies and The Winter Soldier, we get the destruction of the Avengers and their relationships.

Well I said Zemo's final plan, which might have been luck but him having the footage ready to be played leads me to believe he could predict the future [emoji38] either way I think that Zemo's involvement really hurt the narrative, Like I said before, they could have just used Hulk as the catalyst to provoke the government into making the registration act, and then the rest of the movie could have been about a battle of ideologies which wasn't in the movie nearly enough as I thought it would be and probably should have been considering the title of the movie.

I see a lot of people saying that about Tony's reaction was justified but I just found it to be bad forced writing. He knows Bucky wasn't in control, Hydra was, how can he be upset at Bucky when Tony literally flew there ignoring orders to help them for that very reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marvel always like to keep it's heroes virtuous, free of sin, they don't have a dark side and when they do a " bad decision" it's a result of outside manipulation Tony was manipulated to build Ultron by Wanda, him and Cap were manipulated to fight because of Zemo. Vision hits Rhodes by accident, they toned it down considerably from what it was in the comics. No back door deals with villians, no dirty fighting they basically had a playground school fight were in the comics it was a true civil war. Cap got his ass kicked and then in turn beat the cap out of tony. Not to mention the beautiful ending with caps death they tied everything up on a neat bow with a letter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Maybe Ironman should have been forced to beat Cap so bad he thinks he killed him, and before he can bring winter soldier in, Black Panther steps in and stops it all. He disables Stark, carries Cap's body to his ship, takes them all away and leaves Stark there thinking Cap is dead. Back in Wakanda we see that Cap is still alive and Bucky is put in carbon freeze. The Stark gets a call saying that all of Caps team has been broken out of the raft. Cue credits.

Maybe Ironman should have been forced to beat Cap so bad he thinks he killed him, and before he can bring winter soldier in, Black Panther steps in and stops it all. He disables Stark, carries Cap's body to his ship, takes them all away and leaves Stark there thinking Cap is dead. Back in Wakanda we see that Cap is still alive and Bucky is put in carbon freeze. The Stark gets a call saying that all of Caps team has been broken out of the raft. Cue credits.
Maybe I just wanted the war in civil war it was much more of a play ground school fight at the airport were they were horsing around and it ended badly for Rhodes . They did not hold back in the comic they should not have in the movie. I am sure they will all get their collective ass kicked in Infinity War 1 and probably have at least 2 deaths , only to be followed by the counter attack in Infinity war Part 2 for a conclusion.

TWS seemed a bit tighter. CW was a little long winded.

And yea, Black Widow could have taken 'Bones down herself. Chick was knocking out his heavy geared soldiers with a single punch. And peps were nitpicking Batman tossing dudes into walls....

I noticed that. She must be taking Super Solider Steroids.

I think they were friends with a disagreement. The only one who seemed to be playing it real was Wanda who was new to the group.

Part of me still wanted to see War Machine
Spoiler Spoiler:

Fixed that.

Seriously, though... Will Marvel have the cajones to kill off any characters (besides Pietro) again? I still can't forgive AoS for bringing back Coulson and robbing THE AVENGERS of its emotional punch.

Back