Premium Format C-3PO & R2-D2 Premium Format Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I need to get R2. How does he feel? Pretty nice ?
He is plastic and pretty light cause it is hallow, same as the previous release (from what I understand I don't have that one) but it looks great, and still feels quite solid. Not scared he will break every time I touch him like the 1/6 version. Worth the extra money to upgrade if you are considering it in my opinion for sure. Very happy with the way this turned out.
3ponr2.jpg

He is plastic and pretty light cause it is hallow, same as the previous release (from what I understand I don't have that one) but it looks great, and still feels quite solid. Not scared he will break every time I touch him like the 1/6 version. Worth the extra money to upgrade if you are considering it in my opinion for sure. Very happy with the way this turned out.
View attachment 268269

Thanks for the advice! I never had the old version but I'm looking to pick up this one. I love the Falcon base for him as well. I'll probably get him next month :D

I would have liked the sand base, but missed those ones so glad to have a second chance with this release. They do match up nicely if you line them up but I wish the 3PO came out a lil further to match the R2. But at least they fit nicely into a Detolf together.
13327435_10157022991685451_6705213261153630971_n.jpg

R2 looks pretty good, no paint app issues? Is there a pin in the base, or does he just sit there.

I've been wanting a 1/4 scale R2 for a long time and have a bunch of reward points saved up. I'm considering waiting till late July, to see if Sideshow give away some more points during SDCC, assuming that the edition size will last for a couple months. At 5000 one would think so.

Paint looks great, nice weathering on both. No major issues for me. 3P0 has a pin, R2 does not. Bases do not connect at all either, just the markings on the grate are made to match up if you line them up right. Not sure if they give away points during SDCC, usually I think that is mostly a spooktacular thing, usually only like $5 at a time. I used my rewards to get 3PO for a $100 and paid full price for R2. I think both are well worth the price. Had the 1/6th pair, just kept R2 and sold the 3PO. Glad I did cause the 1/4 ones are way nicer and much more solid. Especially the 3PO, compared to the 1/6, the PF is streets ahead.

R2 looks pretty good, no paint app issues? Is there a pin in the base, or does he just sit there.

I've been wanting a 1/4 scale R2 for a long time and have a bunch of reward points saved up. I'm considering waiting till late July, to see if Sideshow give away some more points during SDCC, assuming that the edition size will last for a couple months. At 5000 one would think so.

Got mine today. These are a grail set for me, so I'm excited to have them. I really wanted the original sand base version, but wasn't able to get them at the time they came out, and aftermarket prices have been pretty over-the-top. Weathering looks great on them, and I'm very happy with how they turned out overall. As others have mentioned, I do think the bases probably could have been designed in a way that makes them a bit more cohesive looking; the staggered effect doesn't make much sense to me. But overall it's a minor quibble for me.

But my biggest complaint is that Sideshow consistently seems to make the engineering of their light-up features an afterthought. Seriously, I have to take off 3POs face every time I want to turn on his lights?? And I DESPISE the tiny watch batteries they use (at least R2 has AAAs). They re-did this piece and had an opportunity to improve the lighting feature, but they took the easy way out and left it the same as before. Why couldn't they have engineered this to turn on from the OUTSIDE with a button, like R2, or even a magnetic switch? Honestly, I wish they would just design these things to work with AC adapters. We have these awesome lighting features that you can almost never use, or else you'll be replacing batteries every couple days. These are high-end display pieces, not toys; they should be designed in such a way that they can be DISPLAYED with their lights turned on for as long as desired! These are very expensive collectibles and I believe we deserve a better implementation of these features than what SS has been delivering. /end rant

Got mine today. These are a grail set for me, so I'm excited to have them. I really wanted the original sand base version, but wasn't able to get them at the time they came out, and aftermarket prices have been pretty over-the-top. Weathering looks great on them, and I'm very happy with how they turned out overall. As others have mentioned, I do think the bases probably could have been designed in a way that makes them a bit more cohesive looking; the staggered effect doesn't make much sense to me. But overall it's a minor quibble for me.

But my biggest complaint is that Sideshow consistently seems to make the engineering of their light-up features an afterthought. Seriously, I have to take off 3POs face every time I want to turn on his lights?? And I DESPISE the tiny watch batteries they use (at least R2 has AAAs). They re-did this piece and had an opportunity to improve the lighting feature, but they took the easy way out and left it the same as before. Why couldn't they have engineered this to turn on from the OUTSIDE with a button, like R2, or even a magnetic switch? Honestly, I wish they would just design these things to work with AC adapters. We have these awesome lighting features that you can almost never use, or else you'll be replacing batteries every couple days. These are high-end display pieces, not toys; they should be designed in such a way that they can be DISPLAYED with their lights turned on for as long as desired! These are very expensive collectibles and I believe we deserve a better implementation of these features than what SS has been delivering. /end rant

No way they would have redesigned these for AC. I agree would have been nice though from the get go.

Got mine today, feels like a cheap toy. Not impressed for the price, but still a must have for my collection.

Yeah def not "statue material" but I guess to incorporate those fancy lights something had to give.

No way they would have redesigned these for AC. I agree would have been nice though from the get go.

I agree that re-designing for AC may have been too much to expect (yes, should have been designed that way from the start), but would it have really been that hard to change the switch so that it can be pushed from the outside, without having to disassemble his face every time? I'd prefer not to 'handle' him as much as is required to turn it on/off each time. I can understand removing a piece to change those cursed watch batteries, but to require as much in order to turn the lights on just seems ridiculous to me.

And I agree with the previous posters that R2 particularly 'feels' cheap in hand, mainly because he's so light and obviously hollow plastic. I understand their reasoning for using the plastic body, and visually it makes no difference, but they could have at least put some effort into making him feel more substantial by adding some weight inside. I don't care if the thing is going to spend 99% of its time on a shelf, in hand it should give the impression of an object that is as high quality as its price would suggest, not like a toy.

I agree that re-designing for AC may have been too much to expect (yes, should have been designed that way from the start), but would it have really been that hard to change the switch so that it can be pushed from the outside, without having to disassemble his face every time? I'd prefer not to 'handle' him as much as is required to turn it on/off each time. I can understand removing a piece to change those cursed watch batteries, but to require as much in order to turn the lights on just seems ridiculous to me.

And I agree with the previous posters that R2 particularly 'feels' cheap in hand, mainly because he's so light and obviously hollow plastic. I understand their reasoning for using the plastic body, and visually it makes no difference, but they could have at least put some effort into making him feel more substantial by adding some weight inside. I don't care if the thing is going to spend 99% of its time on a shelf, in hand it should give the impression of an object that is as high quality as its price would suggest, not like a toy.

Its def a gripe. I had the gripe for a time way way earlier (in a glax.... nevermind) in this thread as well but I have since dismissed it and haven't looked back. It was a silly SS decision that can't be rectified, but I still love em. Plastic or not they still get some great comments from my guests. I just make sure not to tell them r2 is hollow. lol

Its def a gripe. I had the gripe for a time way way earlier (in a glax.... nevermind) in this thread as well but I have since dismissed it and haven't looked back. It was a silly SS decision that can't be rectified, but I still love em. Plastic or not they still get some great comments from my guests. I just make sure not to tell them r2 is hollow. lol

I hear ya. Definitely no regrets on the purchase -- they are awesome looking! Really glad to add them to my collection as they were honestly #1 on my list of statues to acquire, and probably among the last that I will purchase going forward. For the money, I've decided that I get more satisfaction from full-size props/replicas and am planning to focus my collecting more in that area.

Back