Building your MARINES - CORRECTLY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Snyderman's head sculpts and have 7 of them, but I have never found a body that matches the fleshtones they use on any of their paintjobs, so be aware that you may have to do some painting.

I don't know which body it is, but I like the hard body with a single elbow joint because you can paint it and apply his tattoo easily.

The Snyders definitely take time to paint heads.

Just purchased a Hicks for $200 + shipping. NIB

Is there a list of mods anywhere?

What I can tell is:
-New Head
-New Body (+ add tat)
boots?
Wrist cloth wrap
weathering of armor
knife - anyone have the link?

What else does everyone normally do?

As for a body, I picked up a few from Ebay and will see which one works best. My main concern was getting one with no joints exposed on the arms. I'm leaning towards this one: "1:6 Scale Soldier Story SDU w/ K9 SS097 - S2.5 Muscle Arm Body." The body comes with a neck so I had ordered the neckless Hicks sculpt version.

I would definitely be interested in getting opinions on the best body to use that doesn't come with a neck.

I tried that body out on my Hicks. Even though I am normally a advocate for using 'normal' (non-overly muscled up bodies) as none of these guys had 'Thor-like' physiques, I did eventually decide the SDU K-9 body was a bit too skinny for Hicks. Now for HUDSON! That skinny body was much closer so I slapped it on my Hudson.
20170516_210644.jpg
20170516_210630.jpg

I don't know which body it is, but I like the hard body with a single elbow joint because you can paint it and apply his tattoo easily.

I agree here. I don't know the name of that body either, but the single elbow joint body is what I did settle on for my own Hicks.
20160629_230814.jpg

(sorry, dont really have better pics at the moment. ...and still havent painted the dang head going on years later. Damn i got some work to do still!)

Those look pretty good as well. But that single jointed arm's elbow looks wacky when straightened out. Bent elbow is fine, though, which works with most poses where he's holding the pulse rifle or shotgun. Your Hicks is coming along great. Definitely need to paint that head sculpt!

To be honest, I'm working on several figure projects at the same time, trying to find the best bodies to go with each.

1. Hicks
2. "Gladiator" arena fighter
3. Roman General from "Gladiator"
4. Drake

3 out of the 4 have bare arms and I'm trying to figure out which looks best with which body.

I did order a "1/6 Scale ZC Toys 12" Muscular Figure 2.0 Body" which is similar, if not the same figure body that you currently have on Hicks. I'm thinking of ordering the same type but neckless as well.

Some people have asked me about the mods for Hicks. Here you are!!!!!!!!!

-New muscular body (HT Indiana Jones), pieces of plastic cut in chest below shoulders for the armor to fit.
-New head by Rocco Tartamella
-New Vietnam Jungle boots
-New hands, no gloves
-New shotgun holster made by Gustavo Bautista
-New small lighter pocket in right side of chest by Gustavo Bautista. Added small clip (McFarlane Hicks)
-New knife sheath custom made by me with tinny magnet added to open close.
-New accurate steel knife (Night Rider), made by Shadow Fergo
-Knife sheath and pocket lighter have small pieces of black tape on
-New stand base (HT Star Wars Han or Chewie)
-Plaque in stand, Aliens Logo, CPL. Dwayne Hicks, USCM, by plaques4props
-Added "non toxic" on crotch area and his tatoo on left arm.
-Added black vinyl plastic to leg armor
-Olive green tshirt and camo shirt cut and rolled up on arms
-Added piece of cloth on right wrist
-Helmet. Chin straps moved upright and a cord to hold them, also added his name in the back.
-Dirtied Hicks: clothes, armor and skin, and added scratches to the armor

hicks.JPG

hicks & Ripley.JPG

A damn near perfect list, Kam. Only thing I would add to recommended changes for others are these small details:

-I see you did add the 'belt tool' but did not list it in your mods.
*Hicks def needs a 'belt tool' from either Vaz or Drake (Design flaw from hot toys being that it is the wrong version of their 'battery'. The version they produced and shipped was carried by the other marines, not the smartgunners).

-4 grenades in right strap if doing the 'hive battle'/helmeted hicks (3 grenades in right strap if doing post-hive-battle hicks with headset)

-Unlike the other marines, he had only 1 pouch hanging off his belt. The 'large' pouch was over his left buttocks the entire film. (so the two 'small' pouches he comes with can go right in the spare parts bin)

A damn near perfect list, Kam. Only thing I would add to recommended changes for others are these small details:

-I see you did add the 'belt tool' but did not list it in your mods.
*Hicks def needs a 'belt tool' from either Vaz or Drake (Design flaw from hot toys being that it is the wrong version of their 'battery'. The version they produced and shipped was carried by the other marines, not the smartgunners).

-4 grenades in right strap if doing the 'hive battle'/helmeted hicks (3 grenades in right strap if doing post-hive-battle hicks with headset)

-Unlike the other marines, he had only 1 pouch hanging off his belt. The 'large' pouch was over his left buttocks the entire film. (so the two 'small' pouches he comes with can go right in the spare parts bin)

Correct bigbisont. Thanks for the help ;)

I gotta work on the pouches to be even more accurate.

I found Drake for a good deal as well. I've already started on a body replacement and looking for a head sculpt as well. There's no perfect alternate sculpt for Drake, based on the research done in this thread, but it is almost to the point that anything close is better than the original sculpt. (although several have done great jobs repainting it.)

Hicks is easier. I already have several bodies to test with and a Snyderman sculpt ordered via Ebay.

Little contribution here. I know many of you guys will dislike these proposals, but well, to each their own. Long story short, when no clear solution to a likeness problem is available on the market, or it is prohibitively expensive, I don't mind losing accuracy to get quality/realism/expressivity/coolness instead. Translated: I favour sculpts from established manufacturers rather than custom jobs (which too many times are very lacking on the aforementioned).

W/o further ado, these are the solutions I have chosen for the likenesses of some of the characters from the Aliens cast:

- Drake: Tyrus Kilemahl Gunn from Triad Toys (it might need playing a bit with his cool rooted hair).
tyrus_Kilemahl_Triad_Toys_02.jpg
tyrus_Kilemahl_Triad_Toys_01.jpg
tyrus_Kilemahl_Triad_Toys_03.jpg
tyrus_Kilemahl_Triad_Toys_00.jpg

- Apone: Soldier Story USMC Persian Gulf War Kuwait 1991.
usmc_Persian_Gulf_War_Kuwait_1991_sst_00.jpg
usmc_Persian_Gulf_War_Kuwait_1991_sst_01.jpg
usmc_Persian_Gulf_War_Kuwait_1991_sst_02.jpg

- Frost (body is also fitting): Storm Collectibles Muhammad Ali.
SM-87017-2.jpg
Storm-Muhammad-Ali-Figure-014.jpg

- Frost (easier-to-get alternative): HT Star Wars Finn.
head_Finn_00.jpg
head_Finn_01.jpg
head_Finn_02.jpg

- Vasquez: Kumik Charlize Théron as Furiosa (Mad Max Fury Road).
estartek-kumik-km15-23-1-6-mad-max-4-furiosa.jpg
HTB1NmdnLVXXXXcAXFXXq6xXFXXXa.jpg

- Wierzbowski: Did LAPD Denver.
head_Denver_00.jpg
head_Denver_01.jpg
head_Denver_02.jpg

- Hudson: I always thought of the HT John Connor as a sort-of-solution (for lack of something better, really), and was surprised to see that a french guy who sold his customised Hudson a few months ago had also chosen the same head(!):

connor_head.jpg

So, guys, besides the usual custom suggestions for Hudson, can anybody point out any other plausible fix, by no matter which 1/6 manufacturer? Caucasian, skinny, brown hair, little beard under the lower lip, receeding hairline, frightened expression, anybody?

RfC
m.

EDIT: fixed the pictures.

I love Snyderman's head sculpts and have 7 of them, but I have never found a body that matches the fleshtones they use on any of their paintjobs, so be aware that you may have to do some painting.

They will color match specific bodies if you request it. Their base flesh tone comes off as too orange in their photographs, but looks nice in person. It was meant to act as a basic tone that would compliment the majority of the bodies available. Props to them for keeping all these sculpts in stock, and still at the same price they started out with years ago. Who else is going to offer characters like Dietrich and Weirzbowski? It can take a while for them to get orders painted, but I have never waited more than 7 or 8 weeks. Nothing like some of these painters who sit on customer's heads for a year or more before they get painted, if at all.

The snyderman stuff is actually pretty cheap if you buy them unpainted. The main thing going for them is that they are actually still available. Very few options exist at present. Back when this forum had an "interest" for custom work section, we tried to get more projects/characters off the ground, but we never got the required numbers.

Here is a rundown of head options I did on a diff forum (again, many no longer available, and only a couple actually decent/upgrades)
https://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16022&hilit=sculpt+options

I found all the head sculpts from there to be pretty awful and super expensive. Guess no one does them.

I agree about the expensive part but I was fortunate to get version 1 for a great deal. I did pay full price for version 2. I honestly think that of all of the Hicks sculpts released, they are still the best and actually look quite good in person.

To be honest, $150 really is a pretty good deal in today's custom head sculpt market. I paid around $180 shipped for a Jnix ANH Han Solo sculpt when it first came out and wouldn't trade it for anything.

The snyderman stuff is actually pretty cheap if you buy them unpainted. The main thing going for them is that they are actually still available. Very few options exist at present. Back when this forum had an "interest" for custom work section, we tried to get more projects/characters off the ground, but we never got the required numbers.

Here is a rundown of head options I did on a diff forum (again, many no longer available, and only a couple actually decent/upgrades)
https://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16022&hilit=sculpt+options

Good point about them being the only game in town. Also, if you do order, be prepared for a long wait. Mine took a couple of months to arrive. Not disappointed in the sculpt at all.

I'm working on a very slow moving USCM Marines project and here is a quick pic of version 2.0 on a new body, just to give you an idea on how it looks.

Hicks - 1.jpg
Hicks - 2.jpg

I eventually picked up a Hot Toys Hudson figure for a great price as well and am still contemplating ordering one of the Snyderman sculpts. I know once I'm done updating that figure, I'll have to bite the bullet...

Just finished working on my Drake customisations. Weathering, a new headsculpt and corrected text on smart gun.

Powerloader arriving next week :yess:

Drake.jpg
Aliens.jpg

Last edited:
Back