Building your MARINES - CORRECTLY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my advice to others from page 202, post# 2014

(copy paste of the hicks section. I did this for each)
For Hicks
-Replace Hands (or use natural hands when getting new body). He didnt wear gloves.
-Drill out the 'hole' where "Born again" is painted on his left shoulder bell
-Write "Non Toxic" over his codpiece on his ab-plate in gray
-Write his solcial security number across his upper arm (his tattoo)
-Paint "LIFER" in white between the lower brackets on his back
-Paint the red 'kanji' above "LIFER"
-Get a tan helmet band
-Attach a chin strap and tuck the bits under his helmet band (so they are pulled tight out of the way)
-Replace the cartoon style 870 shotgun he came with. (Ideally use a modded full size 21C toys Ithaca 37, but a 'stakeout' Ithaca 37 works in a pinch)
-Hicks has only 1 pouch! Ditch the 2 small ones. He only had the one big one over his left buttocks.
-Find 1 'belt tool' for his right pelvis area (from the smartgunner sets, incorrectly given to them as 'batteries').
-Run 3 grenades in right strap if going for the middle/later movie effect. 4 grenades for a "pre-crap-hits-the-fan" look.
-Give him a white wrist band or tape on his right wrist
-Get rid of the fancy webbing on the hand welder. He actually just had it tied to his belt with paracord (with a loop the window was tucked into and dangling from)

In addition to those relatively easy fixes, more advanced stuff:
-yes replace the knife with a small boot knife that has a leather sheath.
-get an undershirt/tshirt on him, cut the sleeves of the BDU shorter and roll them real tight up into the tshirt.
-wash the BDUs in a white acrylic mix to tone down the colors and make them look worn. I think for the stock 'yellow' BDUs i even added some blue. A faded green tint is not completely accurate, but looks a lot better than bright yellow.
-Try to add a brown leather rectangular lighter to his right strap above his grenades (or something that implies it might be a lighter)
-Repaint the armor if you are feeling ballsy. At minimum do something to get rid of the neon swatches and darken it up.

As for a headset, this was my solution. Overall don't worry about messing up his hair. In the film he either had a helmet on (hive battle) or he had the headset on. Unless you are doing a 'breifing' or 'breakfast' hicks, he never had fancy hair with nothing smashing it down.

I drilled/carved out the temples to insert a headset. When his helmet was on, you couldn't see the holes and when the helmet was off, i inserted the headset bits. Overall I am very pleased.
20160505_145215.jpg20160629_230814.jpg20160629_231000.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Customizing your Marines: TIPS

Outstanding bigbisont

Admittedly, I am slowly going through the posts but due to the ag of the thread so many have dead links or dead images, felt that bit extra taxing reading stuff to see nothing at times.

Think I will print your list off and have it as a go to and checklist of sorts.
Think over time I could accomplish majority, painting will be a bit step however as I'm used to mainly dirtying of bloodying stuff up. But can't try to atleast lesson some glaring colours present.

Love the head mods you've done. Great, great idea and great sculpts too, amazing even. Far beyond my abilities that's for sure but the idea of making a hole for headset will be on my mind as I go through it all and as a effort if all else fails will be my choice.

As I've said, just not sure on my "look or scene " yet. I guess with figures it's one of the things we love to have the option for but hate to have to be stuck to one only.

Love the fresh suited idea as for now he'd be center of Dutch and Machiko from Predator (part of my human shelf and Predators next to them)
But also growing to like the idea of more figures worn, broken, dirty and blooded up.
Heat of battle final stand attitude.
Done that with a custom Punisher figure I'm working on.

If I had the money and space I'd have one of each in all honesty.
After Predator 1, Aliens is my favourite movie and Hicks was my grail to get.

Can't wait to start doing stuff to him (not that way...... maybe).
Will definitely have the list going as I work and maybe be brave to show some progress, even to help the next person in line if I do something right.

Peace and good health to all.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Outstanding bigbisont

Admittedly, I am slowly going through the posts but due to the ag of the thread so many have dead links or dead images, felt that bit extra taxing reading stuff to see nothing at times.

Think I will print your list off and have it as a go to and checklist of sorts.
Think over time I could accomplish majority, painting will be a bit step however as I'm used to mainly dirtying of bloodying stuff up. But can't try to atleast lesson some glaring colours present.

Love the head mods you've done. Great, great idea and great sculpts too, amazing even. Far beyond my abilities that's for sure but the idea of making a hole for headset will be on my mind as I go through it all and as a effort if all else fails will be my choice.

As I've said, just not sure on my "look or scene " yet. I guess with figures it's one of the things we love to have the option for but hate to have to be stuck to one only.

Love the fresh suited idea as for now he'd be center of Dutch and Machiko from Predator (part of my human shelf and Predators next to them)
But also growing to like the idea of more figures worn, broken, dirty and blooded up.
Heat of battle final stand attitude.
Done that with a custom Punisher figure I'm working on.

If I had the money and space I'd have one of each in all honesty.
After Predator 1, Aliens is my favourite movie and Hicks was my grail to get.

Can't wait to start doing stuff to him (not that way...... maybe).
Will definitely have the list going as I work and maybe be brave to show some progress, even to help the next person in line if I do something right.

Peace and good health to all.

I think bigbisont s post is the way to go and very helpfull . Check mine, , #2466 for more information about where or from whom to get some stuff.

Hope to see your marines soon ;)

I think I never posted this pics here from my instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0tAQj_AXJW/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0tAAbQAu3S/

And thank you kam.

I admit that as I grow older, I've become less a instruction only guy and more a visual. Always helps me to see things acted on to show how it's supposed to go rather than how my mind is interpreted the instructions.

Still waiting on getting Hicks in the post (feels a life time since I ordered... Monday haha).
Just so looking forward to having him, base model and for me to work on.
This makes up for me no longer having the budget and space to get a brand new figure each month for sure.

Just got my Hicks and even for the figures age, looks dam good.
Going to take everything slowly due to my hands being all arthritic and not wanting to mess anything up beyond repair.

Think the little changes should be ok, major worry is finding the few things to buy and the lettering I'll have to do. Guess until I had him in hand I didn't truly appreciate the scale of what was needed. Going to cut a big of each sleeve tomorrow to get them rolled up tighter and to use the scraps as test for a white wash.

Thinking of trying to first get images of the text needed and trying to find somewhere that can do either custom made stickers or water slide decals for it. Just not sure enough of my freehand or even my handwriting with a pen even.

Going to try and get a cosplay site a look if I can for things like item placement and how to dress him up.

Am slowly going through this thread too, just so many posts. A good thing but a consuming thing.

Hey guys need help with something
Anybody know this thing hanging around the waist or hip of drake , is it part of the smart gun armour 1448004E-011F-436B-9AF5-F8E4B7DF258B.jpegor it is actually a hanging waist pouch ??

...no, i don't know. Weird how many details on costumes change from shot to shot, like no one bothered to take continuity photos.

My best guess is a colostomy bag. Leather quilted for durability in the field.

it looks like part of the waist padding for the smart gun rig to me which has just drooped into that position (perhaps not securely tied in place for that shot).

Just got my Hicks and even for the figures age, looks dam good.
Going to take everything slowly due to my hands being all arthritic and not wanting to mess anything up beyond repair.

Think the little changes should be ok, major worry is finding the few things to buy and the lettering I'll have to do. Guess until I had him in hand I didn't truly appreciate the scale of what was needed. Going to cut a big of each sleeve tomorrow to get them rolled up tighter and to use the scraps as test for a white wash.

Thinking of trying to first get images of the text needed and trying to find somewhere that can do either custom made stickers or water slide decals for it. Just not sure enough of my freehand or even my handwriting with a pen even.

Going to try and get a cosplay site a look if I can for things like item placement and how to dress him up.

Am slowly going through this thread too, just so many posts. A good thing but a consuming thing.

I went through the entire thread back when I first picked up the Hicks, Hudson and Drake figures. Its a long read but full of fantastic information. Tons of detailing and update suggestions as well as links to other websites that provide additional info.

I ended up creating a "Marines" folder with sub-folders for just about every character in the film. In each are update pics and info. Its the best way to store the information and have it available for when the inevitable next figure is picked up or custom made... :wink1:

As far as Hicks goes, I got most of my upgrade/update information from fellow Freaks Kam Veitch and bigbisont.

Hopefully they won't mind if I re-post here:

Some people have asked me about the mods for Hicks. Here you are!!!!!!!!! (by kam veitch)

-New muscular body (HT Indiana Jones), pieces of plastic cut in chest below shoulders for the armor to fit.
-New head by Rocco Tartamella
-New Vietnam Jungle boots
-New hands, no gloves
-New shotgun holster made by Gustavo Bautista
-New small lighter pocket in right side of chest by Gustavo Bautista. Added small clip (McFarlane Hicks)
-New knife sheath custom made by me with tinny magnet added to open close.
-New accurate steel knife (Night Rider), made by Shadow Fergo
-Knife sheath and pocket lighter have small pieces of black tape on
-New stand base (HT Star Wars Han or Chewie)
-Plaque in stand, Aliens Logo, CPL. Dwayne Hicks, USCM, by plaques4props
-Added "non toxic" on crotch area and his tatoo on left arm.
-Aded black vinyl plastic to leg armor
-Olive green tshirt cut and rolled up on arms
-Added piece of cloth on right wrist
-Helmet. Chin straps moved upright and a cord to hold them, also added his name in the back.
-Dirtied Hicks: clothes, armor and skin, and added scratches to the armor

(By bigbisont)
-I see you did add the 'belt tool' but did not list it in your mods.
*Hicks def needs a 'belt tool' from either Vaz or Drake (Design flaw from hot toys being that it is the wrong version of their 'battery'. The version they produced and shipped was carried by the other marines, not the smartgunners).

-4 grenades in right strap if doing the 'hive battle'/helmeted hicks (3 grenades in right strap if doing post-hive-battle hicks with headset)
-Unlike the other marines, he had only 1 pouch hanging off his belt. The 'large' pouch was over his left buttocks the entire film. (so the two 'small' pouches he comes with can go right in the spare parts bin)

I went through the entire thread back when I first picked up the Hicks, Hudson and Drake figures. Its a long read but full of fantastic information. Tons of detailing and update suggestions as well as links to other websites that provide additional info.

I ended up creating a "Marines" folder with sub-folders for just about every character in the film. In each are update pics and info. Its the best way to store the information and have it available for when the inevitable next figure is picked up or custom made... :wink1:

As far as Hicks goes, I got most of my upgrade/update information from fellow Freaks Kam Veitch and bigbisont.

Hopefully they won't mind if I re-post here:

Of course I dont mind, thats what we are here for, share and help newcomers ;)

Sorry, not been to well so not done much.

Did a little repaint of the stock head to tide me over. It's good enough for now until I can get some funds going for a new head.

Done little changes that where easy and immediate effect. Looking into the other easy to do bits.

Think main thing of the new head and body will go a long way.
92e2d974ef4f4152fddfcc2e79c8c1ae.jpg

50191382438_e34a5d16fd_c.jpg

Gave the old Apone Hot Toys head a repaint, actually a decent Matthews likeness under there!
Looking good and I always say to others that many of the older Hot Toys heads are mainly let down by paint rather than bad sculpt.
You've brought out the likeness very well.
Was wishing for a entire display case to have the entire Aliens crew but space and cost to make all has stopped me at just Hicks.
Damn though, you make a case for trying to get them all still.
Haha

Looking good and I always say to others that many of the older Hot Toys heads are mainly let down by paint rather than bad sculpt.
You've brought out the likeness very well.
Was wishing for a entire display case to have the entire Aliens crew but space and cost to make all has stopped me at just Hicks.
Damn though, you make a case for trying to get them all still.
Haha

More than "let down by paint", they were purposefully undercut by paint to avoid lawsuits since they didn't have the likeness rights. Al Matthews was especially litigious and is on record feeling like he had a right to sue if an "Apone" figure even had his complexion (he argued the character wasn't written as a black man so that was capitalizing on something he personally brought to the character. He was cool with having a figure but wanted compensation for it). Clearly Hot Toys didn't want to pony up the cash, so no surprise then that he ended up light skinned, Drake ended up a red-head with mustache, and Vaz ended up pale skin with blue eyes. Not to mention the Biehn sculpt that ended up covered in camo facepaint and moved to SEAL figure. All a damn shame.

As for the whole squad idea, I am working on that very thing! Or I used to be... I have had a box full of custom heads sitting around for over 3 years now. It is always something I plan to do "next" but somehow have yet to get to. I will finish them, though!
20200101_175147.jpg

Back