Black Panther Wakanda Forever - November 11, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel the cultural significance of BP for the black community elevates Boseman above nearly any previous actor in superhero films though. We have had quite a few batmen in the last 100 years. I think they did the right thing here but I havent seen the movie yet.
What? You know Black Panther was no more the first Black superhero than Captain Marvel was the first female. This is just dumb. I won’t knock Boseman as an actor, but this comment would make more sense in trying not to recast Blade (too late), or Meteor Man (I really liked that movie when I was a kid), or Blank Man (that’s a true tragedy that there was never a sequel).

The MCU didn’t create superheroes on film, nor did it pave the way for any demographic to portray them. To say such silliness undermines those who actually did pave the way decades earlier.

I think of the Phase 4 films, this was probably the best (not that it is a high bar given the state of Phase 4 so far).

The movie does carry a lot of weight and it isn't as lighthearted as a normal Marvel movie.

Just saw this as well. I really liked it, much better than the first for me. Some non-spoiler thoughts:

- There were some really iffy CGI here and there. Especially with Namor.
- I liked Namor as a villain. Relatable.
- The entire cast just brought it. Angela Basset had some real gravitas along with Winston, Lupita and Danai.
- I liked Riri more than I expected to. Now I can't wait for Ironheart.

i dunno bout namor dude.

There are some scenes that make me feel like im watching some clips from bollywood action movie lol, from his somewhat plumpy figure, his costume and the cgi that had him flying and destroying stuff.

i dunno bout namor dude.

There are some scenes that make me feel like im watching some clips from bollywood action movie lol, from his somewhat plumpy figure, his costume and the cgi that had him flying and destroying stuff.
Some of those Bollywood dudes are pretty 'roided out LOL

i dunno bout namor dude.

Yeah that's why I said the CGI on Namor was iffy. It's probably doubly hard for the CG artists because Namor is mostly bare human skin. It's easier to render and animate masked/armored heroes. The CG on Ironheart and the other armors were mostly ok.

It's not worse than the first Black Panther movie though. That one had really bad CG especially towards the end.

The MCU has a surprising amount of bad CG.
They're overloaded. I think the pandemic saw studios laying off employees due to a lack of film projects and then now Marvel and Disney are all running projects at the same time. The sudden demand and lack of resources coupled with short deadlines is showing in the quality of work.

They're overloaded. I think the pandemic saw studios laying off employees due to a lack of film projects and then now Marvel and Disney are all running projects at the same time. The sudden demand and lack of resources coupled with short deadlines is showing in the quality of work.
Fair enough but I feel like it was already dropping off pre-Pandemic ... maybe I'm misremembering.

Fair enough but I feel like it was already dropping off pre-Pandemic ... maybe I'm misremembering.
Yeah the load was high then already too.

Stuff like Tony's floating head in Civil War, or BP's rubber dolls fighting or Infinity War's floating Banner are a few examples I can think off the top of my head. :D

Ragnorak and ultron I think were some of the worst in terms of cgi.
Ultron was ugly and grey and the use of action scenes were like a kid mashing his toys together.

Ragnorak was way too vibrant. Ugly and stupid looking. Like a children’s cartoon.

That new ant man film looks like spy kids 3D

Considering DS2 had Charles and X- Men implications all over the trailers + fans speculation and hype for the Illuminati. This isn't much of a shocker tbh
I don't know, I predict this will have longer legs than any of Phase 4 so far.

There was a significant Black Panther comic story arc where T’Challa was presumed dead and Shuri took up the mantle, so gender swapping the character isn’t the issue for me. It’s that they’ve killed off T’Challa too soon. Just because CB died before his time doesn’t mean the character he portrayed had to do so as well. In attempting to honor CB they’ve actually prevented another actor of color from landing a role, which is the last thing he would have wanted.

Of course, CB's passing is an unfortunate loss and, much respect to his legacy. I wonder, I wonder if there might have been plans for keeping CB in the role posthumously - i.e. CG/deepfaking his semblance onto another actor and synthesizing his voice to create a performance. (I can imagine that being quite an undertaking and perhaps permissions were unobtainable for that.)

Ragnorak and ultron I think were some of the worst in terms of cgi.
Ultron was ugly and grey and the use of action scenes were like a kid mashing his toys together.

Ragnorak was way too vibrant. Ugly and stupid looking. Like a children’s cartoon.

That new ant man film looks like spy kids 3D

In March 2012, Whedon stated that although television involves more compromise than film:

I think, ultimately, gun to my head, TV is the place. Being able to spend years with a character, to really develop them, to understand them, to challenge the actor, to learn from the actor, to work with a team of writers – that experience is so fulfilling. The idea of putting something out there and letting it grow is really exciting

Ultron looks like a super charged TV episode of a long running show that most people stop watching after a while.

One really big thing I did like about Ultron is you got to see the Avengers as friends. The other movies didn't cover that at all. It was critical context to their "family" relationship and even though I didn't like Spader's Ultron himself, if you removed it from the MCU, then you remove the more casual moments with the main team.

One thing that Whedon excels at is writing women on screen, and he did a good job of uplifting Black Widow. Also since it was unlikely Black Widow and Hawkeye would get their own films, there was a much heavier focus on them in both early Avengers films, which had a huge payoff in Endgame. I consider ScarJo to be an utterly mediocre actress ( God, how much better would the role be if Emily Blunt had taken the role....) so Whedon did some heavy lifting there with that character IMHO.

I can see the frustration though, Ultron was a bridge movie and Whedon had to check X number of boxes to get certain characters into certain places or situations for future set ups/later payoffs. Essentially I think it can be fairly said it was not his movie at all. Feige picked the wrong director. If you want a dysfunctional family dynamic that's endearing, Whedon is your guy. But for the checkbox type stuff that's protected by raw spectacle, you need someone like Michael Bay.

Feige should have just given Whedon a blank check to directly make any MCU tv show he wanted instead. It's clear TV is where Whedon is at his best and where he'd rather be. Also it's clear he uses his shows as a personal casting couch ( I mean look at the main actresses he casts, they all fit a "type", they all look very similar to each other)

But one thing that his "scandal" tends to illuminate, what if Whedon wasn't the only one? Meaning what if he was simply one of many toxic players in some of these productions but he was an easy fall guy? Think about if you are on set with Ben Affleck ( drunk and coked up) and Ezra Miller ( clear mental health problems going on) and trying to shoot quality scenes? I can see Cavill, Fisher, Momoa, Eisenberg and all the rest being just as much of an overbearing PITA like Whedon.

Never met your heroes. Or better yet, don't have distant "celebrity" heroes to start.

In March 2012, Whedon stated that although television involves more compromise than film:

I think, ultimately, gun to my head, TV is the place. Being able to spend years with a character, to really develop them, to understand them, to challenge the actor, to learn from the actor, to work with a team of writers – that experience is so fulfilling. The idea of putting something out there and letting it grow is really exciting

Ultron looks like a super charged TV episode of a long running show that most people stop watching after a while.

One really big thing I did like about Ultron is you got to see the Avengers as friends. The other movies didn't cover that at all. It was critical context to their "family" relationship and even though I didn't like Spader's Ultron himself, if you removed it from the MCU, then you remove the more casual moments with the main team.
I liked Ultron more as time went on. There's stuff I will always cringe at like Bruce Nat.

But IMO, there was good dialogue, especially after watching the uneven writing in IW (which had multiple directors involved "to be collaborative" and it showed. Like that boring line about "then it will be the noblest ending in history".

Plus the introduction of the Hulkbuster and the creepy dream scenes. And the introduction of Vision and his lines were beautiful as well as, overall, it was a lavish production. IMO part of the MCU "Golden Age" *warm fuzzies*.

Ticket sales 20% behind DS2 :horror

*Shrug* I just don't feel much of anything about BP2, aside from looking like a chick flick, just didn't think BP1 was all that great, between the dodgy CGI and what I thought was a silly narrative about keeping a big secret for no reason at all, and then the on again, off again thing about the herb; and to me it doesn't seem like BP2 is much of an improvement.

Last edited:
Man it's been a rough ten years for Joss Whedon. He went from a feminist icon family-man helming A-list blockbusters to unemployable divorced snaggletooth creeper. His worst problem back then was they wanted to cut Hawkeye's barn. :lol

Of course, CB's passing is an unfortunate loss and, much respect to his legacy. I wonder, I wonder if there might have been plans for keeping CB in the role posthumously - i.e. CG/deepfaking his semblance onto another actor and synthesizing his voice to create a performance. (I can imagine that being quite an undertaking and perhaps permissions were unobtainable for that.)
Probably. I don't feel comfortable with digital resurrections personally. I thought it legitimized rogue one when I first saw it, but later felt uneasy about it afterwards.

I guess if an actor signed off on this idea in case they croaked it would be ok. Still kind of weird though.

I'm pretty sure alec guiness or harrison ford would never have wanted to be associated with star wars if he had the choice, mark hamill would probably be flattered I would imagine.

Just finished watching this, it was ok...hate to say it but as far as the flow of the movie and entertainment-wise Black Adam was better the Black Panther.
Tchalla's death dues to "an illness" was a cop out to me.
Another annoyance was missing scenes from the first trailer.

Last edited:
Back