Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

Overall looks good, but seems more like a Season 18 expression. Scarf is way to short.

Has BC upped their quality? Their 11 looked very meh for the price.

Not to that degree it didn't.

Actually it did. By the end of season 13 the scarf had been shortened to the point where Tom couldn't loop it around his neck for it to touch the ground anymore. If you look at 'The Face of Evil' and 'Robots of Death' you'll see that Tom merely hangs the scarf over his neck, which allows the ends to touch the ground.

d4-4r-c176.jpg

In fact there is even a photoshoot where Tom is wearing the season 13 scarf with it looped around his neck and it is the same length as in Big Chief's picture.

d4-110.jpg

Sorry to sound like a saddo, but I've had two replica scarves made and researched it to the finest details.

Personally I think the figure looks great and the head looks marvellous. The eyes aren't an issue for me, it captures his trademark otherworldly stare that he'd pull from time to time.

d4-4c-c379.jpg

Can't wait!

Last edited:

I stand corrected, but imo the longer scarf is what people associate 'Classic' Tom with. It's certainly what I remembered during my time visiting the show.

d4-4g-008_zpsaf891b79.jpg

As to that photo shoot, was that the one created by a private company who used to produce those greetings cards? Because If so they may have been using ono of those licensed scarf replicas which came in two lengths (I still own them both). One of which was too short.

Last edited:

im gonna be making a couple of leelas to go with Tom so keep a look out!

I'll look forward to seeing them. :D

For me..it's not bad..I would have no problem with the scarf lenght the eyes however I'm not sure about, they are just a bit to stuck out, I would like to see that fixed before the final production head comes out.

On a side note the prototype original Amy looked fine, good even, but alas the production model was a complete dog so I'm also hopeing they don't attempt to much change.

Overall looks good, but seems more like a Season 18 expression. Scarf is way to short.

Has BC upped their quality? Their 11 looked very meh for the price.

In hand I thought 11 was brilliant - none of the photos I saw really did it justice. The only problem was that on some of the heads the grey wash used for the stubble wasn't always applied that brilliantly, otherwise it was great. Not quite Hot Toys quality, but very close - I certainly didn't think 'meh' when I took it out of the box.

The tailoring was mostly excellent too, except for the buttons tending to fall off, but that never bothered me.

Their bodies are cheap. Ported mine over to a Hot Toys slim. Much better.

I used the BCS neck on the slim. Looks about the same.

I'd love to see pics of that. Interesting…

I can't wait for this figure. The only "old series" Doc I'm getting, although I'd be interested in Hartnell maybe….

tumblr_inline_mmp7ie12401qz4rgp.gif

Just ported this over from their Facebook page...

Look WHO we met last week.

Co-director Tony met up with the Time Lord actor Tom Baker to take the shots for the certificate of authenticity. Both Tom and his wife were simply delightful and very complementary about the figure. Tom particularly liked the "Sshh" gesture!

Our thanks go out to Tom and Sue for the gracious time.
Look out for the Priority Pre-order Sign-up later this week.

Thanks
BCS

1044774_10152433692631002_620384970_n.jpg

I like the figure, and I am in for it. I know that it is not perfect, but let's face it...what figure ever is?

Even the '89 BATMAN & JOKER pair were flawed. That darned cape and the hat hair...?

All signed up and ready to receive m y notification! :yess: I will also utilise the payment plan for #10 as well.

Like I said before, my gut feeling is that this company has turned a constructive corner.

Signed up! Whoooo!

I'm signed up!

I'm in, he's the last signature one that I want for my collection, I can take or leave the rest as they come out, though I think I'd be tempted with a 9.

All signed up and ready to receive m y notification! :yess: I will also utilise the payment plan for #10 as well.

Like I said before, my gut feeling is that this company has turned a constructive corner.

Couldn't agree more, and this figure looks much better in the photo on the sign-up page. Even though I'm holding out for a 'grinning' version I am now VERY tempted... unfortunately the PPO is at exactly the wrong time for me as it clashes with my other kid's birthday and I'm stretched to the limit. I will hope that I can still order in a month's time (Ten was around for at least a month wasn't he?).

EDIT: just been staring at the photo on the sign up page. I now feel much happier that they've nailed the sculpt - they've really captured that tragic, soulful 'alien' look you got from Tom sometimes. It's an unusual choice - we generally think of his signature expressions as serious and resolute, pop-eyed or alternatively as grinning - but a brave choice and it seems to have worked out really well. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Back