Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

a la the WGP sculpt? Not a fan of that one personally, I really dig the expression on this one.

I'm not familiar with the sculpt you are talking about, sorry.

But more like this:

tom-baker.jpg

I just think the problem here is that while they both look Tom-like, the eyes and the mouth just don't match too well, expression wise. At least from my view anyhow.

Sig Ed is the way to goon this one. Scarf looks better but I'm still not convinced with the length... Should be longer, yeah?

I think so. It always appeared that he was precariously close to tripping over it at any moment, at least that's how I remembered it.

Oh, and I'm down for a sig edition but will easily settle for a normal version. I hope this gets released state-side, but I'd gladly order from BCS directly for the sig version.

Last edited:

Hard to say in that case, as I'm not very keen at all on that particular likeness, to be perfectly honest. Kind of hard to judge the expression objectively when I don't much like the core sculpt to begin with, you know?

Hard to say in that case, as I'm not very keen at all on that particular likeness, to be perfectly honest. Kind of hard to judge the expression objectively when I don't much like the core sculpt to begin with, you know?

Yep, totally understand where you're coming from :)

Tom has googly eyes. He looks like a deer in headlights. Needs his toothy grin.

This!

The scarf definitely needs to be longer - I'm sure it was accurately reproduced from photos and maybe the actual scarf looked exactly like the one in the photo but this is one of those times where a detail needs to reflect your childhood memory rather than reality to be accurate. The CO scarf was longer and looked right. I also hope they'll find some way of giving it a wool texture (maybe there should be a deluxe version in real wool that you can buy separately if this is too expensive to do as standard?). Width and colour looks right.

Trousers and waistcoat look great, tailoring on any 1/6 scale coat can ALWAYS be improved, but a great job considering the thickness of the actual coat.

Apart from that, too early to start a detailed critique of the sculpt from one photo.

The scarf is definitely too short. I've been rewatching Tom Baker's episodes and it's always been down to his feet. Usually dragging on the floor.

Either way, I still can't wait for this figure.

Now I am somebody who used to frequent the studio recordings during this era and I can confirm that scarf is miles too short I'm afraid.

Yes, they has shortened versions for stunt scenes and anything where Tom might have been in danger of getting it caught but the audience weren't meant to see that, so this scarf should be a lot longer then this.

Colors are about right but I feel the trouser length may be tiny bit too short too.

Also yes Toms got fairly prominent eyes, but they're far from bulging. My mates sculpt had it about right imo.

watermark1.jpg

Over all this is a good figure and I hope to get it. :)

Last edited:

Although I would prefer a different expression, I will definitely be picking this one up. They really do need to make that scarf longer though. Or perhaps offer 2 scarves in different lengths.

I think the hat needs work. But I think the sculpt's the best Tom Baker we're likely to see in any of the various scales.

I think the hat needs work. But I think the sculpt's the best Tom Baker we're likely to see in any of the various scales.

I've been accused on here many times of being some kind of uncritical stooge/ kiss arse for Big Chief, but you know what... I don't agree with you. I'm sure they could do better, and we shouldn't let our gratitude for this figure blind us to its faults.

I think the critical comments - that's critical, not negative - are spot on, not only in pointing out that the scarf is way too short, but also that the sculpt could be better. I did say in an earlier post that one photo wasn't enough to judge by, but I think I was being kind - to be honest I'm just not sure it's good enough. The Product Enterprises prototype was better. I think the eyes are the problem.

Hat, trousers, sculpt, scarf, coat colour, and to my eyes the hair looks a little too big - that's a lot of things that need work. If they stay as they are we'll get something that's more or less okay but not the brilliant figure we all want to see.

I've been accused on here many times of being some kind of uncritical stooge/ kiss arse for Big Chief, but you know what... I don't agree with you. I'm sure they could do better, and we shouldn't let our gratitude for this figure blind us to its faults.

I think the critical comments - that's critical, not negative - are spot on, not only in pointing out that the scarf is way too short, but also that the sculpt could be better. I did say in an earlier post that one photo wasn't enough to judge by, but I think I was being kind - to be honest I'm just not sure it's good enough. The Product Enterprises prototype was better. I think the eyes are the problem.

Hat, trousers, sculpt, scarf, coat colour, and to my eyes the hair looks a little too big - that's a lot of things that need work. If they stay as they are we'll get something that's more or less okay but not the brilliant figure we all want to see.

I'm sure they could do better too. I never said they couldn't. But when are we going to see another one to match it? Who, being what it is.

But to me, it's the best I've seen sculptwise, looking at the other 1/6 ones out there
The Product Enterprises one, if we're talking about this one...

tom_baker_who.jpg

...is great and has a great expression (and I don't like the hat on that one either) but it's not a great comparison because I'm really talking about serious Baker instead of toothy-grin. If I wasn't, the PE would definitely win. I just think the more serious one is harder to pull off and to a point, they've pulled it off.

Are the eyes a problem? Of course they are. They don't work with the expression and should be less bug-eyed but it's not a dealbreaker for me. I think the hair is just the right size though but that's always going to be debateable.

I didn't say the rest of the figure was great though. The scarf needs to be longer, I'm not a fan of the trousers. I hate BCS photos' because the colour is never right. The hair colour seems a bit lighter in the FB photos so I won't comment on the colour of the jacket at the minute but I like the material they seem to be using for it.

Does it need work? Sure. But it'll still look good next to Smith and the other Doctors.

This!

The scarf definitely needs to be longer - I'm sure it was accurately reproduced from photos and maybe the actual scarf looked exactly like the one in the photo but this is one of those times where a detail needs to reflect your childhood memory rather than reality to be accurate. The CO scarf was longer and looked right. .

The scarf changed length quite a few times over the years.

As I come closer to being able to buy this figure, I'm having my doubts too on whether this is adequately resolved. Once the excitement of finally having a decent Tom Baker doc subsided, I realised that this does not look to me like a $200-300 figure. It just doesn't. Fair play to those who subscribe to the 'will buy because it's the best on the market', but I saw a lot of that in the Indy thread and it didn't make that set any more acceptable to me. Hundreds of dollars ought to buy a brilliant figure set - not in comparison to what's currently available - but outright imo. This is not quite there for me.

This looks to me like a figure worthy of standing next to my Hot Toys figures. If that doesn't make him worth $200 plus, then I don't know what would. Plus it's Tom. I'm in!

Don't get me wrong, just because it doesn't look to me like a $200-300 doesn't mean I won't buy it :D Like a few other folks I'd like it better though, and I'd imagine BCS would want to make this the very best release they can also.

Back