**Beware SPOILERS** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Disney+ **Beware SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Accept whatever they throw at us."

That is such an overused and disingenuous claim that more often than not is simply stated to disparage people who like something that you don't and I'm bummed to see you following others down that road.

"My opinions are so valid and tastes so discriminating that if I like something, it's because it's worthy and good. But if you like something that I don't then it's because you accept whatever is thrown at you. Or because you eat up anything with a Star Wars label tacked onto it."
An unfortunate choice of words on my part, Khev. Your second paragraph there is not at all what I wanted to convey.

You know and understand any issue I've brought up so I certainly never intended to suggest some lofty standards that you and others are incapable of grasping. Apologies my friend.

An unfortunate choice of words on my part, Khev. Your second paragraph there is not at all what I wanted to convey.

You know and understand any issue I've brought up so I certainly never intended to suggest some lofty standards that you and others are incapable of grasping. Apologies my friend.
If I simply misunderstood you then the error is on my part so no apologies necessary but I appreciate you clarifying!

5881c3b4f154febd5b95a4849ec9194c.gif

:duff

I wonder what it would've been like to watch ANH in 1977 as a 40 or 50 year old? I have to assume that some of the same criticisms that hit these threads on anything post OT would've been levied against ANH. I don't know any 80 year old die-hard Star Wars fans. I am sure they are out there, but my point is that viewing the OT through adolescent eyes has given it a mystic quality and impossible legacy to uphold in many people's eye.
So true!

I used to think that SW was something that all kids loved and all adults thought was fun but nothing to obsess over.

Nope it's all about when you became a SW fan because my parents were in their early 30's when they took me to see the OT and now here I am in my late 40's still obsessing over stuff that they barely gave a second thought to, lol.

If I simply misunderstood you then the error is on my part so no apologies necessary but I appreciate you clarifying!

No, it's understandable you interpreted it the way you did, my words carried a somewhat snide inference and I should have recognized that before clicking the button. However, given we've resolved the matter I'll leave the post there as what they call a 'teachable moment'. :lol

(Teachable moment fresh in my mind…)

My god this is awful. Book of Boba Fett awful? Don’t know yet.

(I’ve been a patient fan through the years. Defended the prequels. Defended the sequels. Mando was mostly great.)

I can’t do this. I will keep watching, just because I can’t give up on it yet. ***** torture, though. Are they half-assing it or just bad at making movies? Not sure I want to know.

I wonder what it would've been like to watch ANH in 1977 as a 40 or 50 year old? I have to assume that some of the same criticisms that hit these threads on anything post OT would've been levied against ANH. I don't know any 80 year old die-hard Star Wars fans.

I know this answer. If we were 50 when Star Wars came out, quite likely it would just be a busy, loud childish fantasy movie -- well done FX, great sound and music, but devoid of acting performance and only a light brush stroke of storytelling. We would likely still be talking about "Network" and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest".

Evidence: My grandfather took me to see Star Wars in 1977 for my first viewing; let me ditch school and everything to drive all the way to the Chinese Theater in Hollywood to see it the first week it opened. He enjoyed it but quickly forgot it (I remember him laughing at the opening shot -- a joyful laugh at the scale of that Imperial cruiser that just kept going). For me, I was dead silent the whole drive home -- replaying moments, thinking about the images I just witnessed, I was completely lost in a haze.

A few viewings later (I saw it an obsessive 30 times that year it was out) we went with my grandmother and mother... who both thought it was forgettable fluff, adventure fantasy stuff for boys. The only reaction I remember they had was laughing at the cantina.

Meanwhile my friends and I couldn't get enough of the movie. My mother was a young mom and it did seem like her younger friends "really dug" the movie, but then when you start to get toward 50's and over then the "Flash Gordon" revival falls flat for them.

Okay this has now been addressed multiples times but I'll repeat myself again just for you. :)

Lightsabers and Darksabers apparently require a certain mental state (whether it be belief/faith/confidence--take your pick) when using them regardless of whether the user is proficient in the Force or not.

Moff Gideon, a non-Force using weakling, was able to swing the Darksaber around with ease during his duel with Din Djarin. On the flipside Din Djarin a physically fit lifelong warrior could only use the Darksaber for a few short strokes before its heaviness made it almost unusable. The Armor called out his mental focus and chastised him for "fighting the blade instead of his opponent."

In Rebels Kanan gave Sabine (also a non-Force user) similar instructions when he had a lightsaber and she had a Darksaber so apparently the two weapons operate with a similar philosophy.

We know from Yoda that personal faith/confidence is critical to properly use the Force ("I don't believe it/That is why you fail") so it makes sense that faith and confidence would be required to properly use the weapon of a Jedi as well.

I'm sure Han Solo assumed that the lightsaber could easily cut through the Tauntaun so it did.

Somebody posted a gif of Finn stabbing a Stormtrooper clean through his armor the first time he held one. Well we know from TPM that a lightsaber is more potent when used to stab than when slashing. Qui Gon easily penetrated the double blast shield door at the beginning of the movie but if it was equally potent as a slashing weapon then he could have just carved a big circle in the door and stepped through. But he didn't. The stab was easy, getting to move the saber around when embedded in such thick metal wasn't.

That's obviously false. Many films prior to 1983 (Samurai/horror/etc.) showed people getting dismembered with swords. Hell Parker knocked Ash's head off with a freaking fire extinguisher in ALIEN almost half a decade prior. The technology was obviously available to show guards getting cut up (or at the very least tight shots of Luke swinging the saber and then cut to dismembered guards) but the most sensible explanation was that George simply didn't want up the MPAA rating.

No they didn't. Luke knocked multiple guards into the Sarlacc Pit with his saber and you heard them screaming all the way down.

Yep and Kenobi has clearly been shown to be rusty, off his game, and second guessing himself. So the lethality of his blade has been very consistent with teachings from Yoda, Kanan, and the Armorer.

Okay this has now been addressed multiples times but I'll repeat myself again just for you. :)

Lightsabers and Darksabers apparently require a certain mental state (whether it be belief/faith/confidence--take your pick) when using them regardless of whether the user is proficient in the Force or not.

Moff Gideon, a non-Force using weakling, was able to swing the Darksaber around with ease during his duel with Din Djarin. On the flipside Din Djarin a physically fit lifelong warrior could only use the Darksaber for a few short strokes before its heaviness made it almost unusable. The Armor called out his mental focus and chastised him for "fighting the blade instead of his opponent."

In Rebels Kanan gave Sabine (also a non-Force user) similar instructions when he had a lightsaber and she had a Darksaber so apparently the two weapons operate with a similar philosophy.

We know from Yoda that personal faith/confidence is critical to properly use the Force ("I don't believe it/That is why you fail") so it makes sense that faith and confidence would be required to properly use the weapon of a Jedi as well.

I'm sure Han Solo assumed that the lightsaber could easily cut through the Tauntaun so it did.

Somebody posted a gif of Finn stabbing a Stormtrooper clean through his armor the first time he held one. Well we know from TPM that a lightsaber is more potent when used to stab than when slashing. Qui Gon easily penetrated the double blast shield door at the beginning of the movie but if it was equally potent as a slashing weapon then he could have just carved a big circle in the door and stepped through. But he didn't. The stab was easy, getting to move the saber around when embedded in such thick metal wasn't.

That's obviously false. Many films prior to 1983 (Samurai/horror/etc.) showed people getting dismembered with swords. Hell Parker knocked Ash's head off with a freaking fire extinguisher in ALIEN almost half a decade prior. The technology was obviously available to show guards getting cut up (or at the very least tight shots of Luke swinging the saber and then cut to dismembered guards) but the most sensible explanation was that George simply didn't want up the MPAA rating.

No they didn't. Luke knocked multiple guards into the Sarlacc Pit with his saber and you heard them screaming all the way down.

Yep and Kenobi has clearly been shown to be rusty, off his game, and second guessing himself. So the lethality of his blade has been very consistent with teachings from Yoda, Kanan, and the Armorer.
Yes, it's shown that the Darksaber requires a clear mind to wield effectively. It's heavy and awkward to swing. Cuts fine though. Even in Mando's hands.
He struggles to swing it, but it still cuts very well. Doesn't hit like a blunt object.
That's all about handling, not about how effective the blade is at cutting.
Assuming normal lightsabers are the same, Obi-Wan being rusty just means he'd swing awkwardly but it'd cut fine.

Your suggestion that the lightsaber wouldn't cut properly because the user isn't focused is just wrong.
When the user isn't focused, as demonstrated by Mando, the blade is heavy, its hard to swing but it cuts fine. It's not a sharp metal sword, it's an energy blade that will cut at the lightest touch.
Mando cuts off limbs and a man in half. He gives himself a severe burn.
The blade doesn't clunk against his opponents like a blade made of a blunt metal.

A lightsaber isn't a sword. It doesn't have a cutting edge that must be aligned at its cutting edge correctly and swung correctly with the correct technique.
It's a blade of energy that will cut through whatever it touches. The entire energy blade is the cutting edge.
Kenobi's blade should have cut easily into those troopers.
Perhaps he's rusty so he didn't do a perfect cut, but it should have cut a good way through the body.
Maybe he is no longer attuned to the lightsaber so the swing would be awkward, but it shouldn't have bounced off the stormie like a blade made out of light plastic.

When Han used Lukes lightsaber, he did look a little awkward. Han hadn't held a lightsaber before. But it's blade is pure plasma or whatever energy a lightsaber blade is, and it very easily cut. It didn't bounce off the Tauntaun.

Re ROTJ Han rescue scene; I meant it was much harder, using practical effects, in the 80's to have people being cut in half. Also, Lucas wouldn't have wanted to be so gratuitous with the violence.

OK so they (Jabba's guards) screamed as they fell. Luke still didn't have to hit them 3 times as the lightsaber bounced off them.

Last edited:
But if someone knows, please don’t make me read this whole thread to find out.
I think it's a mixture of both (half-assing it *and* bad filmmaking. But I don't do brevity, so this post will be of no use to you. :lol

The half-assing it comes in the form of not being able to develop an original storyline, and just going with the tired trope of "adult character down on his luck or missing something spends time protecting young kid who helps him gain perspective, personal growth, and wisdom." It's from the same playbook for writing character narratives as Rebels/Mando/Bad Batch. There's also half-assing it in the form of either not learning the established lore, or just ignoring it out of laziness.

The mix of half-assing and bad filmmaking comes in the form of a staggering number of plot conveniences. Same goes for there being very little that is ever earned in this series. Some examples:

• Reva suspects that Owen Lars knows about a Jedi fugitive and asks him some threatening questions. Reva later encounters a guy she also suspects knows about a Jedi fugitive but mind probes him. And it works. Why the inconsistency? Not clear (but it's because Owen knows where Kenobi is and the plot can't have that discovered yet).

• Reva knows Bail will call on Kenobi because those two used to work together. Why Bail and not one of the dozens of other senate associates of Kenobi (like Jar Jar or Mothma)? Not clear (but it's because Bail is Leia's father and the plot needs that).

• Obi-Wan goes from barely being able to move a tiny scrap with the Force to holding the ocean back while being distracted by stormtroopers in that very same episode. What caused the shift? Not clear (but it's because the same people who wanted a reflective story of a Jedi suffering effects of PTSD also want to have heroic "cool" scenes with the same Jedi in the same episode).

• Vader starts a fire and lifts Kenobi from the other side of that fire with the Force. He then extinguishes the fire to toss the one man he wants revenge against more than any living being. Fire starts again and Vader is rendered useless as Kenobi escapes *very slowly.* Why? Not clear (but it's because... aw screw it; it's because the writing sucks).

4459cdd44e1f1d7c1fa9df30395cef83b8bea133.gifv

Back