**Beware SPOILERS** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Disney+ **Beware SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mandalorian fooled everyone, thankfully Kennedy too.

Worse they could do now was strip him of his ship's name but greenlight his series finally.

Now there's TWO "Fett" shows on Disney. :lol
I honestly think her or someone else in a high place in power HATE original trilogy characters. Leia was treated the best, yet still improperly done. Kill Han, disgrace Luke, kill Luke, insane Yoda ghost, barely any R2/Chewie/3PO, kill Ackbar, Uber Force Leia, 2 seconds of Wedge and not to have the big 3 together with Chewie, well it all felt like it was done on purpose. Can't comment on TROS cause I'll never watch it.

I honestly think her or someone else in a high place in power HATE original trilogy characters. Leia was treated the best, yet still improperly done. Kill Han, disgrace Luke, kill Luke, insane Yoda ghost, barely any R2/Chewie/3PO, kill Ackbar, Uber Force Leia, 2 seconds of Wedge and not to have the big 3 together with Chewie, well it all felt like it was done on purpose. Can't comment on TROS cause I'll never watch it.
Space Leia was horrendous thankfully she was given a proper farewell in TROS but since you didn’t see TROS what are you basing her ranking on hopefully not space Leia lol

Regarding Han dying you need to do your homework some more that was always Ford’s wish for ROTJ and thankfully he was also given a proper farewell in TROS if anything Ford got the death he always wanted for Han post ESB but it also came with an amazing character resurrection of sorts, it was a WIN WIN if you ask me.

Han’s ghost is what Pa Kent’s ghost failed at being in the DCEU.

Space Leia was horrendous thankfully she was given a proper farewell in TROS but since you didn’t see TROS what are you basing her ranking on hopefully not space Leia lol

Regarding Han dying you need to do your homework some more that was always Ford’s wish for ROTJ and thankfully he was also given a proper farewell in TROS if anything Ford got the death he always wanted for Han post ESB but it also came with an amazing character resurrection of sorts, it was a WIN WIN if you ask me.

Han’s ghost is what Pa Kent’s ghost failed at being in the DCEU.
I am all or nothing, and there is no win to me with the ST. I'd rather build rocks and get sucked in by a tornado than to see anything from the ST again. Hey, maybe Pa Kent was coming back from seeing one of the ST movies and was like this is my opportunity to leave this forsaken world. :lol

Regarding Han dying you need to do your homework some more that was always Ford’s wish for ROTJ

I'm one of the few I guess who actually hoped Han would die/sacrifice himself in ROTJ back in the day because I saw that his character had nowhere left to go. For him to make the ultimately sacrifice was the best place Han could have gone in Jedi.

To keep him alive for the sake of toys... that's the real crime.

Harrison Ford's desire to have Han die after ESB is ironic to me, considering that he gleefully keeps returning for the paycheck... um, I mean "opportunity"... to play Indy.

He said that Han's arc was done after ESB, yet it's somehow perfectly fine to keep putting Indy on screen to go from seeking thrills and adventures to needing pills and dentures.

If Ford was honest, he'd just admit that he wanted to stop being Han because of SW fans. And on most days I can't blame him. :lol

I'm one of the few I guess who actually hoped Han would die/sacrifice himself in ROTJ back in the day because I saw that his character had nowhere left to go. For him to make the ultimately sacrifice was the best place Han could have gone in Jedi.

I hate that line of thinking. I like my beloved characters to continue to fight villains, go on adventures, be Leia's husband and have kids that go on to be Jedi and go on in their adventures. He had plenty to do in the EU stories. He just hates the attention off the screen, and while I don't blame him for being cynical, that is a part of the job for many actors.

I hate that line of thinking. I like my beloved characters to continue to fight villains, go on adventures, be Leia's husband and have kids that go on to be Jedi and go on in their adventures. He had plenty to do in the EU stories. He just hates the attention off the screen, and while I don't blame him for being cynical, that is a part of the job for many actors.

The EU novels are how I like to remember the heroes. Those stories felt so faithful to the OT, unlike the ST Disney decided to create instead.

The EU novels are how I like to remember the heroes. Those stories felt so faithful to the OT, unlike the ST Disney decided to create instead.
I agree. The Chewie death was a gimmick and the Vong didn't really hit home well, but overall it went the way I thought it would. Anything Disney has done seems to be the real poor version of some ST elements. The Young Jedi Knight series is still popular to this day.

All the filmmakers -- JJ and Rian -- were so busy trying to make Star Wars "their own" that they overlooked what really makes Star Wars work and what it needs. Favreau remembers.

You can't have Han die and then have Chewbacca walk passed Leia who then hugs Rey.

The youtuber who made a better Mandalorian Luke with his deep fake has now officially announced that he has been hired by ILM and confirmed by ILM lol

Wasn’t it a-dev that said last year ILM should hire him lol

The guy is probably working on not just some more Luke but also Indy.

I keep seeing and hearing this, and even as a once-and-future writer myself, I don't find it necessary. Yes there are tropes, there are rules, etc. -- but just because his character arc peaked didn't necessarily mean he needed to be dispensed with. I feel like that's the kind of thinking that helped bring us the events of the Sequel Trilogy.

What's wrong with sacrifice? Done right, it is very noble. Certainly more effective than dragging a character along just because you like him.

Thinking like that brought us Return of the Jedi...

What's wrong with sacrifice? Done right, it is very noble. Certainly more effective than dragging a character along just because you like him.

Thinking like that brought us Return of the Jedi...
Maybe it's 10-year old me talking. I just can't imagine what we would have gained had Han bought the farm in ROTJ beyond trauma. :LOL:

It also seems almost anti-climactic to see him stolen away on ice in ESB, very elaborately rescued in ROTJ only to lose him again.

I don't know, I started going to movies with my grandparents in the time of the disaster movies so maybe I'm born to see friends and loved ones get killed off. :lol

I loved that Quint got eaten by the shark.

I loved that Spock died in Star Trek 3.

I love that Ben got killed in Star Wars.

I love that Kyle Reese got killed in Terminator.

I love that most of Bond's sidekicks and lovers get killed.

I love that Dirty Harry's partners always die.

I love that all the marines got killed in Aliens and all the commandos in Predator... people still love them.

By the 90's and after, they really did stop killing off so many friends and confidants. So maybe it has to do with the decade you were born.

I don't know, I started going to movies with my grandparents in the time of the disaster movies so maybe I'm born to see friends and loved ones get killed off. :lol

I love that all the marines got killed in Aliens and all the commandos in Predator... people still love them.

By the 90's and after, they really did stop killing off so many friends and confidants. So maybe it has to do with the decade you were born.
I remember getting really stressed out by Towering Inferno (I was too young to be watching that I think) ... I expected the shark to kill everyone, had no real attachment to Spock so kind of accepted it as a big deal moment ... Obi Wan getting disintegrated was again something I just accepted it because I didn't identify with him, I guess ... had no feelings about Reese one way or the other but again -- Terminator was a 'dark' film like Jaws to me ... expected melodrama from Bond ... can't remember Dirty Harry, and as for Aliens and Predator ... the monsters were the stars and I expected the soldiers to be cannon fodder.

I can't remember if we're the same age? I'm 48 (holy crap).

(I feel around 30-ish but much smarter and likely to make better choices.)

I remember getting really stressed out by Towering Inferno (I was too young to be watching that I think) ... I expected the shark to kill everyone, had no real attachment to Spock so kind of accepted it as a big deal moment ... Obi Wan getting disintegrated was again something I just accepted it because I didn't identify with him, I guess ... had no feelings about Reese one way or the other but again -- Terminator was a 'dark' film like Jaws to me ... expected melodrama from Bond ... can't remember Dirty Harry, and as for Aliens and Predator ... the monsters were the stars and I expected the soldiers to be cannon fodder.

I can't remember if we're the same age? I'm 48 (holy crap).

(I feel around 30-ish but much smarter and likely to make better choices.)

I have a few on you. But I still feel 30ish too. Not sure I'm smarter though, or what the hell would I be doing here?

So see, it gets down to the fact that you like Han so much you don't want to see him get killed. But those are the best characters to kill off. Not the ones you don't care about. The ones that will resonate... especially if their death has meaning.

In the STs case, Han's death had no meaning. Han did nothing. He just got Ford's wish. Han's death only secured Kylo's certain death once redeemed. Something else that seemed obvious from the get-go. Had Han blown the base to save the rebellion and then run into Kylo (and tried to save him too), then his death may have felt like more of a heroic sacrifice. After his dismal lifestyle, Han definitely needed as much redemption as he could gather along the way.

I hate Hicks dying in Aliens 3, Han in TFA, many didn't like everyone dying in Rogue One. In franchises, I like the heroes or anti-heroes to go on many adventures, and of course, it is up to the writers to make things interesting and worthy of a good story. Times like Yondu dying in GOTG Vol2 felt right. Same with Ben in ANH. A movie like Gunn's Suicide Squad will be great in seeing many of them die. I think the story just needs to build and serve other characters to make it legit. Rachael in TDK was great. Talia al Ghul's was awful. Han's didn't feel earned in TFA.

I have a few on you. But I still feel 30ish too. Not sure I'm smarter though, or what the hell would I be doing here?
The thought has occurred to me :ROFLMAO: ... but it's all relative. I made some baaad choices and took some crazy risks over the decades. All things considered I'm lucky to have dodged enough bullets to stop pointing the gun at myself. That's a clumsy metaphor but you get my meaning.
So see, it gets down to the fact that you like Han so much you don't want to see him get killed.
It's not Han so much as what he represents. That's why I think it's 10-year old me. Han living through all those adventures represents innocence and that seems to be what lurks at the heart of Star Wars.
But those are the best characters to kill off. Not the ones you don't care about. The ones that will resonate... especially if their death has meaning.
True.
In the STs case, Han's death had no meaning. Han did nothing. He just got Ford's wish. Han's death only secured Kylo's certain death once redeemed. Something else that seemed obvious from the get-go. Had Han blown the base to save the rebellion and then run into Kylo (and tried to save him too), then his death may have felt like more of a heroic sacrifice. After his dismal lifestyle, Han definitely needed as much redemption as he could gather along the way.

Back when I somehow still had the energy and time to type long screeds about the ST (see? I do make better choices now) I made the assertion that Han's treatment was cynical corporate greed, and I still feel that way. Just with fewer paragraphs.

Back