BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone found a good full-length, glass door for the Besta? I'm not a big fan of the three Tombo's because of the splits so I'm hoping there are some alternatives.

Curious - Why do you need locks on those? Roommates?

In my case: kids. Both for preventing grabbing anything, but also simply playing with the doors and possibly getting a finger caught or breaking the glass. But my daughter has been great and has never attempted to touch/grab anything on any of my shelves without asking first. I take down vintage stuff for her to check out every now and then. My son is just crawling, so we'll see how it goes once he can walk and talk. ;) He already loves sitting on my lap in the office pointing at the different shelves.

How are people dealing with the Besta height? I am a pretty short guy (only 1M 70) and their height sort of worries me.. Detolf hight is to me pretty much perfect, 10 or 20 cm more may be okay too, but a Besta simply seems too tall for me...

Also, do the cabinets seem too big for 1/6 figures? (I only collect those)

On some pictures it looks badass with 1/6, but on others the figures look rediculously small in the cabinet...

I'm 1.64m tall lol. Works for me

How are people dealing with the Besta height? I am a pretty short guy (only 1M 70) and their height sort of worries me.. Detolf hight is to me pretty much perfect, 10 or 20 cm more may be okay too, but a Besta simply seems too tall for me...

Also, do the cabinets seem too big for 1/6 figures? (I only collect those)

On some pictures it looks badass with 1/6, but on others the figures look rediculously small in the cabinet...

For me they work fine if you use stands. Once I drape some velvet cloth over the stands (like SDCC displays) I think it will complete the look. Here's some examples for you to visualize. hope this helps.

era3y9.jpg

10gxmvn.jpg

Curious - Why do you need locks on those? Roommates?

Sorry I missed this yesterday, I wanted locks for a few reasons. I'm currently in the home stretch of finishing a home rebuild so I have contractors, electricians, plumbers, inspectors and their apprentices in my home working and I can't be here all the time. Most of my friends also have children so when they visit it's like candy land and they want to play with everything. I travel a lot and it's also a peace of mind thing.

I'm looking to have one custom made. If it works out, I will post details.

They make a full size matching "wood" door and it looks like you can take out the middle particle board, leave the frame and insert glass into it. I think you would need to add a third hinge though to account for the weight of the glass.

They make a full size matching "wood" door and it looks like you can take out the middle particle board, leave the frame and insert glass into it. I think you would need to add a third hinge though to account for the weight of the glass.

That's one thing I might try. I would probably use an acrylic insert because it is lighter and cheaper than glass. One concern I have about this route is how to finish the cut edges. Particle board is kind of rough, so paint alone might not look great.

I checked with my local plastic manufacturer about a solid acrylic door. It would have to be 3/4" thick to accommodate the hinges, and would weigh 63 lbs (I am looking to get the 25" wide x 75" tall besta). That's probably a bit too heavy (the ikea doors are around 40 lbs).

My other idea is to see whether they can manufacture a 3/4" thick acrylic frame (maybe a 2 to 3" thick strip around the perimeter), and then make the middle part out of 1/4" acrylic. I hope it's possible, because I envision this looking very cool.

Glass is MUCH (MUCH!) cheaper than acrylic or polycarbonate. That rule should hold no matter where you are.

3/4"thick acrylic? You wouldn't use anything like that for a project unless you were building an aquarium - and a very deep one at that. It would also cost an obscene amount of money for a large piece that thick.

Honestly, what's wrong with a wooden or aluminum frame and a sheet of 1/4" glass?

Leaving to IKEA in a few.
Went on Thursday, got a wall unit, to hold the TV, with 8 cells, 3 on each side and 2 above the TV.
Then, had an idea - We didn't like the birch or the white, so we got the black-brown units, but after getting them home, though why not get the units in white, and just the doors in dark.. That way, it doesn't look like hospital medicine cabinets, but the white interior will show the items inside way better.
I didn't look thru ALL the pages in this thread, but did anyone try to mix and match? We figured it will also save on having the light on all the time...

Glass is MUCH (MUCH!) cheaper than acrylic or polycarbonate. That rule should hold no matter where you are.

3/4"thick acrylic? You wouldn't use anything like that for a project unless you were building an aquarium - and a very deep one at that. It would also cost an obscene amount of money for a large piece that thick.

Honestly, what's wrong with a wooden or aluminum frame and a sheet of 1/4" glass?

I don't believe glass is very cheap around my parts, but I'd have to do more research with local suppliers. I wouldn't want to have a piece of glass that large shipped to me, that's for sure...the shipping would cost a fortune.

I know, the 3/4" acrylic for the entire door is excessive...that's why that idea was scratched.

But, I had acrylic panels made for my pax and they were very affordable (less than $100 for two large panels, I think they were 3/16" thick, or around that). I like acrylic because it's so light, and easier to handle. I know you can get different types of glass (tempered etc), but let's face it...a 75"x25" piece of glass would be fragile as hell...and heavy! Also, because the acrylic is somewhat flexible, makes it easier to get it in my car. I don't like that acrylic scratches so easily, but the advantages are worth it to me.

I am exploring frame options right now. I'm not sure if I would go with a custom made wood frame or try to modify the ikea door. The advantage to the ikea door is that I would only have to worry about finishing the cut edges. I want to avoid a metal frame...I just don't know where I would have one of those made.

I think a thicker acrylic frame with a thinner middle section would look cool (at least it does in my head).

Last edited:
If you're looking at plexiglass, it's fairly inexpensive compared to glass. It looks like it would cost about $200 or so for a glass piece to fit the besta door.

I have no idea where you guys are buying your glass and your acrylic and poly. I go to industrial (and large volume) suppliers for both. Maybe the glass prices at my supplier are just super, but I can't believe they're the absolute best around. I've got images of some big glass panels in my office thread as well as the price I paid for them if I'm not mistaken.

Tempered glass is much stronger than regular plate, so I wouldn't be concerned with that aspect. If you have great prices on acrylic go with it of course.

Are you referring to this?

IKEA FAMILY member price
$12.75
Nov 27, 2013 - Jan 28, 2014 Valid while supplies last in participating US stores only. IKEA FAMILY offer not available online.

My guess is just the price promotion lasts during this time period. They better not discontinue these.

Darth,

Yeah those Vassbos. I have the 2 of the largest size ( 3 glass panels each) that they have. They're no longer listed on the website!

I'm worried they're being discontinued! :gah:

Back