Battlestar Galactica Episode Thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand why everything happened - I just don't know if I LIKE it... Lame...

It's almost like the last 20 minutes were just a big group hug.

I'm a sucker for happy endings so my viewpoint might be a bit biased, but don't you think they (and we) earned a 20 minute group hug after 4 years of hell?

Yeah, the feel good, neatly wrapped up ending just felt incongruous in tone with the rest of the series. I didn't like the predictable Christ story cop-out Harry Potter had, but forgave it as it's never trying to be much more than a simple, but exciting kid's story. BSG, an ostensibly deeper, more adult story, had a similar simple, predictable, sappy ending and I just didn't care for it. The 'Life Less Ordinary' angel watchers stuff was just weird and out of place. It wasn't a horrible wind up and payoff for a once strong show, just a kind of boring and simplistic resolution.

Yeah, the feel good, neatly wrapped up ending just felt incongruous in tone with the rest of the series. I didn't like the predictable Christ story cop-out Harry Potter had, but forgave it as it's never trying to be much more than a simple, but exciting kid's story. BSG, an ostensibly deeper, more adult story, had a similar simple, predictable, sappy ending and I just didn't care for it. The 'Life Less Ordinary' angel watchers stuff was just weird and out of place. It wasn't a horrible wind up and payoff for a once strong show, just a kind of boring and simplistic resolution.

On the contrary, I think events like this have happened throughout the entire show. Characters seeing visions, doing things they were not normally capable of; these things could be interpreted as "divine" intervention. I'm going to have to rewatch the entire series again in order to pinpoint these parts of the series. I think, knowing what has happened, I will learn much more about the series when I rewatch it.

Something that bugged me was Adama and Gavin becoming hermits. Sure Gavin found out his son was adoptive, but didn't he feel any parental duty to stay with him? Of course he is upset with Boomer, Cally and having just murdered someone.

I didn't really see the finale as a feelgood happy ending. More of a sadder-but-wiser ending.

The most emotional storyline wrap up for me was Baltar and Caprica 6 with his father issues and their interaction with their Head Baltar and Head 6. That was the closest to a happy ending for me.

Wow, can't believe I'm not the only one who thought immediately of that when seeing it! :D And I totally agree with you that it wasn't HORRIBLE, just ... not quite as satisfying as I thought it had the potential to be.

pixletwin said:
I thought the bit where Baltar told Six he was going to be farmer was really touching.

Me too! That was the most emotional for me. I didn't even feel anything for Adama and Roslin really. Or Lee and Kara. I think the flashbacks kind of ruined those once-beloved characters for me, whereas the Baltar/Six flashbacks strengthened theirs.

Like I said, I understand WHY they showed all the flashbacks (except the pigeon and Lee - WTF??) but I don't think they were needed at all for the story to end emotionally. We were already emotionally attached to the characters. It almost felt like they were wasting time on purpose and it was really frustrating, with so many questions left to answer!

Darklord Dave said:
The first "earth" wasn't earth and they never showed distinctive continents of our earth.

I could swear they showed Florida - and then they landed on a beach and I just automatically thought of like Miami or something... oy, now I'm gonna have to go watch that episode!

Dave is right. The Earth showed at the end of Crossroads Part II was this Earth, the one they found at the end of the series. They purposely left the cloud cover thick on the Cylon Earth to keep it ambiguous. It was all in the RDM interview posted about before.

Dave is right. The Earth showed at the end of Crossroads Part II was this Earth, the one they found at the end of the series. They purposely left the cloud cover thick on the Cylon Earth to keep it ambiguous. It was all in the RDM interview posted about before.

Well, it was edited really badly then, because the way it was put together makes you automatically assume that that's the earth they landed on and found it a nuclear wasteland. I tend to believe that they didn't quite know where they were headed at that point in the series, and at that time it WAS the earth that they landed on. Then later the writers finally settled on an ending and so now they're back-tracking and saying it was this 'new' earth all along. Eh, whatever, still confusing.

Like I said, I understand WHY they showed all the flashbacks (except the pigeon and Lee - WTF??)

For me, Lee was the pigeon. In the next to last episode the pigeon is trapped in the house and in the finale the pigeon finally finds the door and freedom.

This was Lee....trapped in his father's shadow/world for so long and no on Earth he is finally free to find his own way.

After having some time to reflect further, the only thing that sticks out for me is still Starbuck's sudden poof disappearance. I don't like how they handled her character from her "death" onward just as I believe Katee Sackhoff stated that in script read throughs in this final season she was also confused as to what she (as a character) was and what she was supposed to be doing.

I liked Adama's old pathetic Caprica self that was transformed and quite youthful at the end as Adam on the new earth. I think the Moses analogy mentioned before by Spartan Rex sums it up (both he and Roslin's flashbacks) perfectly.

I enjoyed the conclusion-- still questions but the series did seem to have a definite conclusion as opposed to other series that would just stop or end in a cliffhanger that is forever meaningless.

Well, it was edited really badly then, because the way it was put together makes you automatically assume that that's the earth they landed on and found it a nuclear wasteland. I tend to believe that they didn't quite know where they were headed at that point in the series, and at that time it WAS the earth that they landed on. Then later the writers finally settled on an ending and so now they're back-tracking and saying it was this 'new' earth all along. Eh, whatever, still confusing.

Actually no, that would make it GOOD editing, because the viewer is misled and makes assumptions (I certainly did) but the internal logic of the story is not violated.

They show us 'our' earth' at the end of season 3 but then they land on 'their' earth and we assume it's the same planet. For the producers to obscure the landformations and mislead us is pretty brilliant, I think.

And before season 4 started airing, it was announced that the 4th would be the last, so I really don't think this was not by design.

Beren

Actually no, that would make it GOOD editing, because the viewer is misled and makes assumptions (I certainly did) but the internal logic of the story is not violated.

They show us 'our' earth' at the end of season 3 but then they land on 'their' earth and we assume it's the same planet. For the producers to obscure the landformations and mislead us is pretty brilliant, I think.

And before season 4 started airing, it was announced that the 4th would be the last, so I really don't think this was not by design.

Beren

Totally agree. I assumed that it was OUR Earth too and when we see our Earth rise above the moon it made that moment much more powerful. You plainly see Africa there. There is no mistaking it and its a breathtaking moment.

To me its quite obvious (now) why they kept the other Earth obscured.

Can't convince me - a lot of those last 2 episodes just felt 'wrong' to me ;) But thanks for the interpretation of the pigeon - still don't think we needed that or any of the flashbacks to get the point though - it was like it was all tacked on for sentimental reasons, didn't fit with the rest of the series :duff :peace

The show when best was about loss, sacrifice and the struggle to maintain the best and most noble aspects of humanity in the face of horror, fear and desperation. The finale we got didn't really hammer home those themes very well and we got this 'have our cake and eat it too' ending of finding "Earth" to be a wasteland and trying to find purpose after that only for them to say 'sike!' and give us the Earth really is a super green Eden but also with supernatural angels saved us stuff. yawn.

I thought it was absolutely superb, but I was setup for that experience,

Id seen so many thread titles over at the Battlestar Forums that criticised this and that

Luckily the titles were just non specific moans

That I watched it this evening (in the UK) expecting to be dissappointed

I smiled, I cried, I thouroughly enjoyed this show this evening so much . . words dont describe it

I put that partly down to my expectations, sitting down on the sofa tonight

It was a work of art . . . I didnt read to much into everything, but I got the point, I enjoyed the ride, they gave me everything I wanted and more

but like I say thats probably because I wasnt expecting much to begin with

So all you Haters, whingers and winers

A sincere Thank you to you for setting me up for the best Cinematic experience to date, I loved it

The finale for me was a perfect ending.
The last episode in HD was stunning and I have just watched The Last Fraking special which gave a great incite into the show, Jamie Bamber sounds like James Blunt with his English accent, lol
I am not going to argue my point with those of you who did not like it, because that's the way finales go, they almost always split fans opinions.
For me it goes down as one of the greatest SCI-FI shows ever made, And I look forward to watching it again right from the very start.

I just rewatched the finale today and I still love it even after reading most of the negative opinions here and hearing some complaints from my friends.

Does it address all the plot strings? No. Are there a few inconsistencies and odd motivations? Yes. Is the last 3rd of the finale a bit maudlin? Maybe. I can also understand that thematically it wasn't keeping with the gritty earlier seasons, but I don't want an ending that was too dark or abstract. This isn't St. Elsewhere or The End of Evangelion (not sure anyone here has seen that). This was a release after 5 or so great years of BSG.

So who's excited for Caprica? Or The Plan? Apparently Caprica takes place 50 years before the Cylon uprising (actually before Cylons actually existed I think). Does anyone else think 50 years is too small a time frame between NO Cylons to Cylon uprising?

Just now a few minutes ago I finally saw the last 5 episodes and to me they were absolutely perfect! I am very surprised at the weird critique some of you are giving the show but I am a guy who enjoys things as they are and is not gonna over analyze every minute detail into coherence.

To me it all made perfect sense and I agree with the majority here that Starbuck was probably an angel like the alter-Baltar and Six were but just a different kind of angel. I was also crying throughout most of the ending! Such a rewarding ending it was, everyone's story was neatly wrapped up and it was a perfect ending, not sure what they could have done otherwise.

For me it goes down as one of the greatest SCI-FI shows ever made, And I look forward to watching it again right from the very start.
me too... can't wait for a blu ray set to come. i finally sat down to watch the finale last night and i thought it was very good. its just sad to know that the show is done for good and not just until the next season starts.

Back