Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave you some for nothing.

For nothin', mang!? You could be getting something in exchange. Rep is like meth for some people around here :lol

zOqnUdc.gif

There is a certain irony to some of this discussion when the director who made Avengers is looked at as the weak link in the directors list. I don't think AoU will disappoint anyone and Marvel and Whedon will be cuddle buddies for a long time. Especially once they make a female lead. I hear a lot of talk about having a female director for a female hero and I think thats a mistake. It's pandering. Whedon is very good at giving female characters respectability, "realism" and still making them appealing to the massive male/nerd audience.

There is a certain irony to some of this discussion when the director who made Avengers is looked at as the weak link in the directors list. I don't think AoU will disappoint anyone and Marvel and Whedon will be cuddle buddies for a long time. Especially once they make a female lead. I hear a lot of talk about having a female director for a female hero and I think thats a mistake. It's pandering. Whedon is very good at giving female characters respectability, "realism" and still making them appealing to the massive male/nerd audience.
It's short attention span theater for geek fans. Whedon is yesterday's news, because he hasn't made a movie in about 2 years or whatever.

Yeah just because you are making a movie with a female lead, does not mean for one second that you need to have a female director, or a female writer etc.... it is indeed pandering, and right now theres a little too much of it going around

I suggest you take back those comments, I almost got my head taken off when I said that before.

Last edited:
It's short attention span theater for geek fans. Whedon is yesterday's news, because he hasn't made a movie in about 2 years or whatever.

But didn't you think The Avengers was a mediocre film?

I think now that it's a common thing to see superheroes team up and interact with each other the only thing that really made The Avengers a special film is not so special anymore. TWS and GOTG were much better films and handled multiple superheroes a lot better than TA did in my opinion.

I suggest you take back those comments, I almost got my head taken off when I said that before.
I'll risk it...
But didn't you think The Avengers was a mediocre film?
I think now that it's a common thing to see superheroes team up and interact with each other the only thing that really made The Avengers a special film is not so special anymore. TWS and GOTG were much better films and handled multiple superheroes a lot better than TA did in my opinion.
I agree... while TWS didnt have as many as the Avengers or GOTG, it was still handles better with only 3 heroes and a lot of other stuff going on as well. Gaurdians was really well handled, especially developing unknown characters, which no doubt made it more difficult

I didn't think it was mediocre. I thought (and think) it was good, not great, but that doesn't all fall on Whedon's shoulders. And he did make the perfect film for the studio at the time. But generally speaking, there was a huge Whedon lovefest when Avengers came out. Now, he's apparently yesterday's news, and everyone's on the Russo Bros. train for their one successful film. No one even gives Jon Favreau a second thought, even though he's as responsible for Marvel's success as anyone.

I didn't think it was mediocre. I thought (and think) it was good, not great, but that doesn't all fall on Whedon's shoulders. And he did make the perfect film for the studio at the time. But generally speaking, there was a huge Whedon lovefest when Avengers came out. Now, he's apparently yesterday's news, and everyone's on the Russo Bros. train for their one successful film. No one even gives Jon Favreau a second thought, even though he's as responsible for Marvel's success as anyone.

Favreau is good but Iron Man 2 leaves a bad taste in the mouth, as the Manda...(whoops).......Trevor Slattery would say

Well I think GOTG and TWS were much better films so it makes sense. No body is asking for that Game of Thrones director or Shane Black to direct Infinity War, that's for sure.

Most fans probably aren't thinking about Favreau right now because he also directed Iron Man 2 which is usually in the conversation for worst film in the MCU to date. If Civil War and GOTG 2 sucks I would expect people to hop off the bandwagon (myself included) but so far they've been great and their one marvel directed movie is a lot better than Whedon's, so it makes sense to want one of them to take over.

I love Favreau though, and I would love to see him return and direct another Iron Man film.

Avengers was hardly mediocre. It wasn't Oscar worthy but it was good, fun and entertaining which is what I go to the movies for.

I dont' think Superhero movies are considered for Oscars regardless of quality

On an unrelated note: This movie is rumored to be 160 minutes in runtime, thats 2hours and 40minutes

I dont' think Superhero movies are considered for Oscars regardless of quality

On an unrelated note: This movie is rumored to be 160 minutes in runtime, thats 2hours and 40minutes
I said a while ago it's going to need like 3 hours to cover everything. Glad that's it's rumored to be close to it!

Yeah just because you are making a movie with a female lead, does not mean for one second that you need to have a female director, or a female writer etc.... it is indeed pandering, and right now theres a little too much of it going around

Quicksilver disagrees. Vehemently.

aaron-taylor-johnson-sam-taylor-wood-600x450.jpg

He's 24. She's soon-to-be-48. She directed that 50 Shades movie.

Great post. Totally agree.

Back