Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The source of my (minimal) angst is not the familial theme, which actually runs through all if his films. His characters tend to be tightly connected and i get that. Some of them are even children.

My annoyance stems from stuff like telling us that pregnant women are unstoppable forces of martial badassitude (SURE THEY ARE) and the testosterone stuff, which I wanna see how you get those precious kiddos without testosterone, even. Ha.
As much as I've loved Cameron's work many of his public statements/claims are just so eye-rolling and/or hypocritical. I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that it's nothing new. Back when T2 came out he congratulated himself in an interview by saying that in the first Terminator he made a black guy the top ranking character in the movie and then in T2 he made a black guy the smartest character in the movie. Of course they still always died just like any other "token" black character in every other sci-fi/horror movie of that era but I don't see those comments back then as being any different than his "I sent a pregnant woman into battle!" comments today. It's just Cameron being Cameron.

All I care about is what actually plays out on film and I thought Kate Winslett's character in AWOW was pretty cool, even in battle. Now if he had several male characters just stop mid-battle and watch her kicking ass in awe (like we've seen in multiple Disney SW flicks) yeah then that would have been taking it too far.

His current mindset flies in the face of reality, and it has become super preachy. People complain about SW having an agenda, but how is this any different?
Once again I don't feel preached to by the actual movie though and that's what matters to me. He can say whatever he wants about his past films and cutting 10 minutes of gun violence out of this one but at the end of the day he wouldn't even let Newt touch a weapon in ALIENS ("it's dangerous honey"), John Connor wasn't allowed to fire a weapon in T2 (and he was very vocal about that at the time as well) but in this film he has boys excitingly stealing and eventually using automatic rifles so I see that as an example of kids in his films getting more hardcore and badass, not less, regardless of whatever contradictory virtue signaling he spouts to confuse the press, lol.

Actually... my 13 and 18 year olds don't have an ounce of interest in seeing it - and only 1 of the 18 year old's friends have seen it. The 18 year old loves Marvel movies, so one would expect it would be right up her alley, but she doesn't care about it.
As I said when it first came out my 16 year old daughter liked it but didn't love it. My 13 year old son really liked it even to the point of seeing it a second time in HFR with me but he's constantly watching and re-watching MCU movies on Disney+ and I don't see AWOW competing with those anytime soon.

I refuse to take the NYC subway to go visit my sister I don’t want to get stabbed or pushed onto the tracks by white yuppie thugs like those from Joker lol
Hey my son and I just watched "Plane" today and Luke Cage plays a murderer and they fight a bunch of evil non-white separatists so that's something, lol.

You're correct on the budget but it wasn't independent. Hemdale Pictures funded it and Cameron had to give up rights to the IP in order to be allowed to direct.

And Orion who distributed the film and had a deal with Hemdale, were heavily involved. The pitch was made to Mike Medavoy, the head of Orion.

I will always believe that it was Gale Ann Hurd who kept JC in check. When they divorced in 89 during The Abyss was when he started to get a bit too loopy. Obviously the marriage in that film is based on theirs and the film itself is a bit schizophrenic, i prefer the first half to the second half. The second half is when he gets ridiculously preachy, especially in the longer version.

I’m very confident that the Marvel Phase 5 content from this year will surpass TB/TGM/Avatar in quality….

1673791110459.gif

Last edited:
You're correct on the budget but it wasn't independent. Hemdale Pictures funded it and Cameron had to give up rights to the IP in order to be allowed to direct.

Good God, what was that worth in total dollars?

I mean just look at the merchandising for Terminator alone for how many decades?

Think about the TV show, the countless films, the comics, the books, the artwork, the other scale collectibles, the posters, etc, etc. I mean we see it from the figure and statue perspective here, but that's a drop in the bucket.

Back