Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better than T2...
giphy.gif

This movie was OK. But just like the first, it's a completely disposable movie that will be forgotten as soon as it's out of theaters.

T2 was a true cultural phenomenon and one of the most ground-breaking movies of the first century of film. It will never be forgotten.

So you did like the movie! :rock

:hi5:

As I said, I didn't mind it - a 5/10. But I can't look past it's insane shortcomings.

For me, it's junk food; good while you chow it down, then very ordinary afterwards.

So you did like the movie! :rock

:hi5:

:lol

I've pretty much decided not to see this movie until it airs on Disney+ maybe... and then I will likely speed through it. That last video -- Pretty but Stupid -- was the nail in the coffin.

That said... I want to know more about this boat captain person. :lol

This bloody thing has more presence, range and ability than Brendan has ever mustered.

sock-puppet.jpg

giphy.gif

This movie was OK. But just like the first, it's a completely disposable movie that will be forgotten as soon as it's out of theaters.

T2 was a true cultural phenomenon and one of the most ground-breaking movies of the first century of film. It will never be forgotten.
Yeah, yeah, I was there. Saw it seven times in the theater in 1991. Equal in total theatrical viewings to ANH. I absolutely loved it and consider it a classic to this day. But AWOW was still better IMO.

T2 may never be forgotten by us, but it pretty much has been by society. When it was re-released in 3D a few years ago it made a dismal $562,000 it's opening weekend (and was gone shortly thereafter.) Compared to Avatar's re-release in September where it made 20 times that.

Suddenly I have something to be curious about in Avatar 2. I have to say, before "the boat man" there was absolutely nothing drawing me into The Way of Water other than Cameron's name.

The production budget for AWOW was $350 million. No way did they spend 1.7 billion on advertising. The prevailing assumption with regard to Cameron's "2 billion to break even" comment was that it was in reference to all the sequels combined.

I've got no idea what the reality is - but why would Cameron come out and openly say that in the media? What does it gain him if it isn't the truth?

Saw it seven times in the theater in 1991.

Good ol' days. I miss them so.

Sacrilege statement here, but I recently watched a couple Cameron classics and... sorry to say... they just don;t hold up for me. I'm sure its my fault. But I found T2 and Aliens to be really on-the-nose and cheesy, and not in a good way. I still have fond memories... but my Cameron rewatchability has declined severely.

That said, I can still watch Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, Die Hard, Alien, Predator, Road Warrior, Jurassic Park, The Matrix, Pirates 1-2, and LOTR with as much eager relish as I did when those movies were released.

I've got no idea what the reality is - but why would Cameron come out and openly say that in the media? What does it gain him if it isn't the truth?
I could see him declaring an insane break even point just to look all the more awesome when he actually achieves it, lol. Like Babe Ruth pointing to the stands and calling his homerun.

That being said I don't think he'll be pulling a Babe Ruth with this one because I too doubt it will hit 2 billion. But I'm sure it's already broken even with 1.1 billion. But maybe I'm wrong and there was some crazy inflated expense due to all the extra time spent on this one.

Years upon years of his entire R&D and shooting Avatar 2, Avatar 3 and beginning of 4 cost all that money not just Avatar 2.

Proprietary R&D that he is sharing with Hollywood which I bet is mutually beneficial to both just like Epic games is doing with Hollywood.

Speaking of videogames Cameron said he is competing with videogame companies as much as he is with other Hollywood studios.

There is just nothing to hate in this movie that I experienced..

Last edited:

Sacrilege statement here, but I recently watched a couple Cameron classics and... sorry to say... they just don;t hold up for me. I'm sure its my fault. But I found T2 and Aliens to be really on-the-nose and cheesy, and not in a good way. I still have fond memories... but my Cameron rewatchability has declined severely.

That said, I can still watch Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, Die Hard, Alien, Predator, Road Warrior, Jurassic Park, The Matrix, Pirates 1-2, and LOTR with as much eager relish as I did when those movies were released.

Interesting you say that, I've had a very similar experience. The only one that holds up for me is T1.

Never liked True Lies, so I haven't revisited it, and I'm waiting for the 4K of Abyss to drop in March before going back there, but recently watched T1, T2, and Aliens, and yeah...

I also watched Avatar 1 about a year ago and that didn't hold up very well either - particularly the grunts - very cringeworthy. I'll give Titanic another bash one day as well.

T1 has the advantage of being low-budget (so immediate forgiveness) yet it was inventive and created a great "new" monster. I can't say I love watching it now... but I appreciate it.

The Abyss likely holds up the best in some ways. It was always "two separate movies" to me slammed together -- Cameron wanted his underwater adventure paired with Close Encounters but it just didn't mesh onscreen. But everything without the "NTIs" was so masterly handled that its always the film I say Cameron peaked on (not financially, but craftsmanship-wise).

I can understand that. I've spoken with many fans of ALIEN who thought that ALIENS was just lowest common denominator dreck that sacriligeously dumbed down the lore by turning the original's "perfect organism" into cannon fodder "bugs."

But to me it's still in my Top 3 or 4 movies of all time.

I've also heard many criticisms of T2 since it came out and even joined in for a time due to ways that I saw that film of sanitizing T1's lore. A recent revisit myself allowed me to come to terms with my own issues with it and love it for all the same reasons I did when if first came out.

That's why I said early on that AWOW appeals to everything I love about Cameron films and that people with an aversion to his approach would no doubt look at all things I celebrate about the movie and see them as negatives. To each their own obviously.

Interesting you say that, I've had a very similar experience. The only one that holds up for me is T1.

Never liked True Lies, so I haven't revisited it, and I'm waiting for the 4K of Abyss to drop in March before going back there, but recently watched T1, T2, and Aliens, and yeah...

I also watched Avatar 1 about a year ago and that didn't hold up very well either - particularly the grunts - very cringeworthy. I'll give Titanic another bash one day as well.
Okay your take on AWOW is making more and more sense to me now. I disagree of course but I believe I see where you're coming from. :duff

And Titanic is getting a theatrical re-release in February just as an FYI in case you wanted to wait and revisit it that way.

Back