Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re right people hated and forgot the first one so much that this just passed 1B in 12 days lol
I’m not dismissing its box office potential nor did I say it was hated.

I’m speaking of its long term pop culture relevance. The first Avatar had none. Cool 3D movie then it faded. Most people don’t even know the names of the characters, blue aliens with hair and Pandora. Even then, Avatar isn’t even the first result when googling Pandora. It is and remains to be a solely theater experience with a theme park attraction that is more about visiting an alien world than the actual characters or story.

It isn’t a Star Wars and it isn‘t an MCU. Nobody buys merch from it, low rewatch value, did little to change the pop culture landscape, does not have any staying power like Star Wars, MCU, Harry Potter, etc…

Big box office due to the “experience,” marketing, COVID, Christmas, and the decline of movies in general, led people to want to watch something big again. Reviews for this are worse than the first one too.

Not the audience score.

AWOW: 92%
Serious question: Who among us gets asked to rate or goes somewhere online to rate a movie that they've seen in a theater? I don't know anyone who does. I rarely even rate streaming shows or movies anymore. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and the lot used to always prompt you to rate them when they were over, but I honestly can't remember the last time that happened. Mind you I'm not questioning the accuracy of the numbers, more wondering out loud how statistically significant the sampling could possibly be...

Question tho I’m seeing people online dogging on this film. So like who is this film even for. Seems like everyone is making fun of this film or just meh about it.

It made $32 million on Monday, more than Friday, Saturday, or Sunday--holy crap!
It's because of the holidays of course. Monday, no one had anything to do.
It's doing very well but it's not putting up crazy numbers (Domestic) for a December release. For some perspective:

AWOW: 12/16/22 release. Box Office after 12 days: $317M;
SM NWH: 12/17/21 release. Box Office after 12 days: $516M.

Ok so Cameron has confirmed that starting in 2017 they did unstopped production from on part two, three and the beginning of four. :horror

https://thestoriest.com/entertainment/220692.html

Question tho I’m seeing people online dogging on this film. So like who is this film even for. Seems like everyone is making fun of this film or just meh about it.

Most of the word of mouth I've heard personally is negative, so it's extraordinary it's doing so well. But it's still an "event" film and people obvs want to judge for themselves.

Mainly internet sheep mentality. Cameron is still one of the best filmmaker out there. Avatars are not his best work but they are still pretty good. Old school filmmaking. Very fun and enjoyable rides until the end credits. Also he wants to create and puts effort into his movies which usually today is rearly to be seen.

It ***** circles around the MCU.

Not the audience score.

AWOW: 92%
Audience scores on RT aren’t as accurate anymore ever since they changed to “verified” users only. I believe you have to verify that you actually purchased a ticket to see the movie when the changes were first announced in 2019, primarily due to Disney crying about “russian trolls” and “review bombing” from The Last Jedi, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel. I believe there were also inconsistentencies with the audience score before 2019, notably TLJs being locked at 86/87% for a long while. So RT bent the knee. It really eliminated a lot of the casual movie goer reviews and artificially inflated the overall scores of movies across the board (in my opinion at least). Now you see reviews from diehards, which aren’t really accurate for the general population view of the movie itself.

If we look at other user score sites, like Metacritic, Avatar is at 7.5, Avatar 2 is at 7.3 with critic reviews for A2 lower.

At IMDB Avatar has a 7.9 score with 1.2 million reviews. Avatar 2 is at 8 with over 100k. A number that will likely drop over time.
Serious question: Who among us gets asked to rate or goes somewhere online to rate a movie that they've seen in a theater? I don't know anyone who does. I rarely even rate streaming shows or movies anymore. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and the lot used to always prompt you to rate them when they were over, but I honestly can't remember the last time that happened. Mind you I'm not questioning the accuracy of the numbers, more wondering out loud how statistically significant the sampling could possibly be...
Great point. Ever since RT changed to verified users only, the base that is reviewing these movies drops significantly to diehards, which is not an accurate representation of the general audience. I consider myself a diehard fan of the MCU, Star Wars, among others, and I’ve never gone on a site like RT, IDMB, Streaming Platform, to review it.

I think RT used to be a great source to gauge a films success, now not so much since the changes to audience score and reviewers being somewhat fearful of Disney overlords who can make or break a career.
I think this movie is just for the general public marketed as an “event.” Nice experience at the theater, you go to work or school and talk about for a few days or a week, more people see it to extend the discussion, then by the time the theater run is over, nobody is talking about it anymore. No debates. No theories. No wishes or hopes for the next installment. Just off the mind. Just does not have any lasting relevancy beyond a cool theme park.

I don’t see these movies continuing to hit a billion. Doesn’t he have like 5 planned? Can only stare at the alien world for so long.

To me that would be "screaming into the wind" like you mentioned with Twitter. I much prefer sharing and discussing opinions with people I "know" like you guys.

I agree... but I asked in response to Buffinator's "who does rate movies on RT"? No one I know, for sure. It's often used here to justify people's perception of popularity, yet no one ever knows anyone who does the ratings.

Mainly internet sheep mentality. Cameron is still one of the best filmmaker out there. Avatars are not his best work but they are still pretty good. Old school filmmaking. Very fun and enjoyable rides until the end credits. It ***** circles around the MCU.
I don’t think it runs circles around the MCU just because it has failed to maintain relevancy over the last 10 years. Kids trick or treating aren’t blue faced aliens they are super heroes. Adults buying collectibles aren’t getting a Pandora diorama, they are building Avengers teams.

I don’t think anyone is really bashing the film as bad. Visually great. Average kind of shallow (forgettable imo) story. Solid acting. From a film making process, it is a well made film at every level. So in that regard, it is better than a lot of MCU movies. But it just comes off as “meh” to me. I don’t really have anything bad to say about it as a whole, but I also don’t have anything necessarily good to say about it past the visuals, just meh.

Now do people care about it? Like truly care? As in cheering for The Avengers in the Battle of New York? Team Cap or Team Tony? Wondering who lives and dies in Infinity War and Endgame? The Grogu phenomenon? We see MCU and Star Wars penetrate past the pop culture bubble into the general audience’s lives through rewatches, discussions, collectibles, merchandise, games, books, comics, etc…. where a 40 year old mom cares just as much about the story as a 16 year old boy or a little girl cares just as much as a 50 year old life long super fan. We don’t see that level of emotional response and range with Avatar.

And that is why it fails.

I don’t think it runs circles around the MCU just because it has failed to maintain relevancy over the last 10 years. Kids trick or treating aren’t blue faced aliens they are super heroes. Adults buying collectibles aren’t getting a Pandora diorama, they are building Avengers teams.

I don’t think anyone is really bashing the film as bad. Visually great. Average kind of shallow (forgettable imo) story. Solid acting. From a film making process, it is a well made film at every level. So in that regard, it is better than a lot of MCU movies. But it just comes off as “meh” to me. I don’t really have anything bad to say about it as a whole, but I also don’t have anything necessarily good to say about it past the visuals, just meh.

Now do people care about it? Like truly care? As in cheering for The Avengers in the Battle of New York? Team Cap or Team Tony? Wondering who lives and dies in Infinity War and Endgame? The Grogu phenomenon? We see MCU and Star Wars penetrate past the pop culture bubble into the general audience’s lives through rewatches, discussions, collectibles, merchandise, games, books, comics, etc…. where a 40 year old mom cares just as much about the story as a 16 year old boy or a little girl cares just as much as a 50 year old life long super fan. We don’t see that level of emotional response and range with Avatar.

And that is why it fails.
That's a very...I'll just say "Un-Scorsese-like" way to rate whether a film is a success or a failure. ;)

We'll just have to agree to disagree. :duff

This part of your post is what matters to me and not whether it has the same cultural/merchandising impact as the average Minions flick:

All Might said:
From a film making process, it is a well made film at every level.

I rate every movie and TV show I watch on IMDb, and most on Rotten Tomatoes.

The percentage of people who rate movies is definitely miniscule, but over time big movies get hundreds of thousands of reviews and can even get over a million ratings on IMDb, and I find it pretty accurate for the most part in terms of seeing quickly whether a movie is crap or not, but my ratings are often different from the IMDb score.

I like IMDb more than the Rotten Tomatoes audience score, as you get a score out of ten compared to the percentage of audience members who gave the movie three stars or more out of five.

Audience scores on RT aren’t as accurate anymore ever since they changed to “verified” users only. I believe you have to verify that you actually purchased a ticket to see the movie when the changes were first announced in 2019, primarily due to Disney crying about “russian trolls” and “review bombing” from The Last Jedi, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel. I believe there were also inconsistentencies with the audience score before 2019, notably TLJs being locked at 86/87% for a long while. So RT bent the knee. It really eliminated a lot of the casual movie goer reviews and artificially inflated the overall scores of movies across the board (in my opinion at least). Now you see reviews from diehards, which aren’t really accurate for the general population view of the movie itself.

If we look at other user score sites, like Metacritic, Avatar is at 7.5, Avatar 2 is at 7.3 with critic reviews for A2 lower.

At IMDB Avatar has a 7.9 score with 1.2 million reviews. Avatar 2 is at 8 with over 100k. A number that will likely drop over time.

Great point. Ever since RT changed to verified users only, the base that is reviewing these movies drops significantly to diehards, which is not an accurate representation of the general audience. I consider myself a diehard fan of the MCU, Star Wars, among others, and I’ve never gone on a site like RT, IDMB, Streaming Platform, to review it.

I think RT used to be a great source to gauge a films success, now not so much since the changes to audience score and reviewers being somewhat fearful of Disney overlords who can make or break a career.

I think this movie is just for the general public marketed as an “event.” Nice experience at the theater, you go to work or school and talk about for a few days or a week, more people see it to extend the discussion, then by the time the theater run is over, nobody is talking about it anymore. No debates. No theories. No wishes or hopes for the next installment. Just off the mind. Just does not have any lasting relevancy beyond a cool theme park.

I don’t see these movies continuing to hit a billion. Doesn’t he have like 5 planned? Can only stare at the alien world for so long.
One thing to point out about Rotten Tomatoes - there are two audience scores:

1. Verified Audience (which is the score you see on the main page):
1672278483146.png

2. All audience score (which you have to drill down to):
1672278545731.png

Looking at the 'All Audience' score, we can see that Avatar 2's score is 88% - a drop of 4% from the 'Verified Audience' score.

Back