Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know anyone who's seen it yet...
Well apparently it’s the best movie ever lol. Well that’s what reviews are saying. Idk see the first one got me a little hooked in like 09 but that was long ago

So... how was it? Really.

OK, just got out now. It dragged a bit in the middle eight hours (started to get a bit self-indulgent exploring the undersea world, a la 2001 or TMP). Could've been shorter (the way of water = down my leg).

I can see why there are mixed reviews. I thought it was OK but obvs lacking the "gee whiz" factor of the original. But two buddies absolutely hated it and thought the storyline (such as it was) was drivel.

I actually didn't notice the plot holes but it obvs pays to focus on the spectacle and not expect too much brain food.

It would be a tall order to top the original's box office without the same 3D novelty effect.

And as mentioned earlier, there are many Cameron-isms from Aliens to The Abyss to Titanic and even Terminator.

OK, just got out now. It dragged a bit in the middle eight hours (started to get a bit self-indulgent exploring the undersea world, a la 2001 or TMP). Could've been shorter (the way of water = down my leg).

I can see why there are mixed reviews. I thought it was OK but obvs lacking the "gee whiz" factor of the original. But two buddies absolutely hated it and thought the storyline (such as it was) was drivel.

I actually didn't notice the plot holes but it obvs pays to focus on the spectacle and not expect too much brain food.

It would be a tall order to top the original's box office without the same 3D novelty effect.

And as mentioned earlier, there are many Cameron-isms from Aliens to The Abyss to Titanic and even Terminator.
Is it true that the last 40 minutes is non stop action?

Same structure as the first one... two hours of "story" (basically CGI beauty shots) and then the apologetic "40 minutes" of battle/climax... with likely another 20 minutes of mushy nonsense at the end (the "isn't this over yet?" epilogue).

Then the pleasure of the rush to the restroom with a long line of men tugging at their pants while standing on a wet and tacky tile floor, the sound of running sinks not helping their situation.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I've tried to get excited about number 2, as I didn't mind the original back in the day (maybe a 7 or 8/10 if I was feeling generous), but there is absolutely nothing they've shown that has any appeal to me.

I wish I was a viewer that could leave their brain outside the cinema and just be indulged by pretty lights, but sadly I'm not wired that way. :(

Be interesting to see if this triggers "woke wars" - it's a more politically charged world today than when the original came out. And Cameron is still painting humans as the enemy via environment destruction and colonialism.

Same structure as the first one... two hours of "story" (basically CGI beauty shots) and then the apologetic "40 minutes" of battle/climax... with likely another 20 minutes of mushy nonsense at the end (the "isn't this over yet?" epilogue).

Then the pleasure of the rush to the restroom with a long line of men tugging at their pants while standing on a wet and tacky tile floor, the sound of running sinks not helping their situation.
Well, that's probably more vivid than anything the movie has to offer lol.

And Cameron is still painting humans as the enemy via environment destruction and colonialism.

More to the point, Western forces pillaging the environment and indigenous races.

A few more observations/parallels...

* There's not only the "always a bigger fish" scene from TPM but planetary invasion/wildlife fleeing.
* The depiction of South Pacific Island warriors in a SF context was reminiscent of AOTC.
* There were a couple of JAWS 2 "the kids are out there!!" moments. The younglings get a lot of the action this time out.
* Saving/communicating with the whales a la The Voyage Home.
* More cool tech is on display, from mech suits and builder-bots to submersibles.

So Jake and Neytiri have four kids.....did she have a litter at once? Are Navi even mammals?

Back