Asmus Toys: Merry and Pippin Lord of the Rings 1/6 Scale Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on some custom DX style bases for the Hobbits, I have Frodo, Sam and Pippin here done. Still trying to decide on what to do for Merry yet.
IMG_20170406_180308_379.jpgIMG_20170406_180411_820.jpgIMG_20170406_180450_397.jpgIMG_20170406_180544_551.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

We are developing new heads for Merry and Pippin,
and run into a little wall on Merry.

Here are the 3D render images compare to the reference,
if anyone can feedback on why it look a little odd,
it will be hugely helpful ~
thank you

17916164_424171114627752_850757621_o.jpg
17887422_424170677961129_1810645580_o.jpg
17916620_424170547961142_127885981_o.jpg

We will offer as an expension pack,

-Merry + grey cap
- Pippin + purple cap

its awesome that you guys go back & revisit sculpts that many people werent too keen on the first release, i was on the fence with these 2 but seeing you make the effort to improve & offer as an expansion pack rather than releasing a new full set. Other companies could learn a thing or too here instead of milking the same thing over & over :wink1:

-Merry + grey cap
- Pippin + purple cap

This is great news thanks Asmus. I would like to display my fellowship before they have reached Lothlorien so the original travelling cloaks are very welcome. Look forward to seeing more of the new head sculpts for Merry and Pippin. I like the expression you have chosen for Merry as it captures his character better than the first release.

its awesome that you guys go back & revisit sculpts that many people werent too keen on the first release, i was on the fence with these 2 but seeing you make the effort to improve & offer as an expansion pack rather than releasing a new full set. Other companies could learn a thing or too here instead of milking the same thing over & over :wink1:

We might still release a full set for each characters,
but will also offer expansion packs so customers who already own the previous version, don't need to buy another full set.

That's great news but... I kinda love my Merry and Pippin as they are lol. I got them two weeks ago and i was really surprised by the quality of the clothing and body. I also like the headsculpts, the paint was superior to the pics i've seen here (no red cheeks or suntan).

I might get these anyway for the capes. Full sets would be nice too for those who missed the first run (took me a while to find them).

First, let me say THANK YOU for this! It's so great that you're willing to do this! As a huge LOTR fan and collector, I am so happy you're going ahead with this!

As for the sculpt, to my eye this is pretty darn close!

My only suggestions ...

--The lower lip is too thick. It's almost making it look like he's got something in his mouth. Maybe thin the lip a bit.

--The eyes are a little too squinty. I know you're going for the look in that specific photo, but most of the time his eyes are open wider.

--The crooked smile, while accurate to the photo, could be a bit less extreme -- a bit less crooked. I think thinning that bottom lip will help.

Overall, I think you've got the shape of his face down very well and I love that you're going for an expression rather than a neutral face!

Thank you again!

Last edited:
but will also offer expansion packs so customers who already own the previous version, don't need to buy another full set.

If you're considering revisiting them, a set of them in their armor would be pretty awesome ...

Just a suggestion!

Last edited:

-Merry + grey cap
- Pippin + purple cap

Asmus!
Amazing--thank you so much! Your team is pretty dedicated to this line and it's going to set you so very far apart from the rest of the other companies out there in the long run!

We are developing new heads for Merry and Pippin,
and run into a little wall on Merry.

Here are the 3D render images compare to the reference,
if anyone can feedback on why it look a little odd,
it will be hugely helpful ~
thank you

View attachment 335588

That looks nice and I personally like it but if I were you I'll be very careful with strange expressions. People loves to complain: if the figure has the blank stare because it looks like a dead person, if it smirks because it looks silly (just look inside Hot Toys Stomrtrooper Han thread). That kind of expression IMHO may work only if the head is 100% spot-on sculpt+paint.

That's a fair way to go, it will be gracious to those that missed the first release, and will be easy for those that have one! Let it happen this way.

The only suggestion I had was to thin out the lower lip, but Bucky already covered that.
I am not sure if it was an across the board thing but my original Merry was painted way too dark. He was almost Trump-esque in his colouring, so if the skin tone is kept in check then that would be awesome!

Instant buy for me, even if just for the cloaks! I have all 4 of the hobbits and already love them, so anything extra is very happy news!

Awesome news.
For tweaks id enlarge the eyes a tiny fraction. The grayscale render may be throwing off the likeness as its darkening the eyebrows and lips too much, but i can see Merry is there in the sculpt.
My major fault with the standard Merry was the hefty dark skin tone, like he spend a month in the Maldives, lighten up the paint apps, a lot.
Regards the additional capes, dont glue down the hoods.

I would fully support the idea of both the expansion pack (for those that already have the figures) and a full set rerelease, for those that missed them the first time. For some reason they were widely available until Legolas was announced and now you can't find them anywhere!

PS, any thoughts on alternate sculpts and expansion packs for Sam and Frodo as well?

Back