Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoL out of stock already.

Just occurred to me this a sculpt for the crown Gandalf. What about the crappy version one Gandalf, are the heads all compatible?

g010.jpg

I just received it, thank you and congratulations Asmus, now it's a masterpiece ;-)

@Asmus why can't we have a pre-order style orders for this GtG head upgrade pack? I always see it out of stock despite getting notified. Maybe I am just too slow but I don't want to miss out on this :cry:. For those who got it I am happy for you guys! Keep rocking that Gandalf.

@Asmus why can't we have a pre-order style orders for this GtG head upgrade pack? I always see it out of stock despite getting notified. Maybe I am just too slow but I don't want to miss out on this :cry:. For those who got it I am happy for you guys! Keep rocking that Gandalf.
Better to keep an eye on this thread than to wait for the email notifications.

As for why no Pre-Order, I believe they didn't want to have left over stock as lots of times ppl will PO but then cancel when it actually comes time to pay.

I feel for yah as I missed the first release. Then I started checking the ASMUS site once, twice a day AND I clicked on the ASMUS page to get email notification.

I think they will make these until the demand tapers off - ASMUS said these take a while to do, which means hiring someone/people to carefully get the hair done. It's really worth it tho, a terrific upgrade especially for my V1 head.

2Gandalfopt.jpg

Bein' a Hobbit fan, tempted to track down a V1 and get a new head, just to be greedy 😁 (V1 is a nice set with the accessories.) Just beautiful - love the weathering/dirt ASMUS did.

Last edited:
@Pizza outstanding photography and posing. If you’re getting InArt’s GtG I’d love to see you do a comparison shoot.

This is the best I've seen the new head look, Joshua.

I know I'm in the extreme minority with this opinion, but seeing this comparison again confirms for me that I still prefer the original version. Obviously the eyes are weird, but in overall presentation I just can't get used to the new version.
I don't know what it is exactly, but it looks like an exaggerated cartoonish version to me. Perhaps it's the large eyes?

But aside form my personal preference (and I'm going to replace mine with InArt anyway), I'm happy that Asmus is offering this upgrade and that everybody here who got it likes it!

Something else I just noticed and haven't seen mentioned here, (maybe I overlooked it): Asmus is offering Crown Gandalf now with the new head on their website. So you can get the complete package with upgraded head for $350. GANDALF THE GREY
I prefer the hair/beard colour on the original. It's too white looking on the newer sculpt. The darker face paint on the new one dosen't help things either.

Does the New head fit the Hobbit Gandalf?
Yes, one of my pair is the Hobbit Gandalf - the one with a scarf.

The new head has a socket that fits over Gandalf's typical ball joint neck. Take the old head off, put on the new one. Try not to yank the entire ball peg out of the body (that happens sometimes 😁) Use a hair dryer to warm the head socket if the fit is tight. U can use a bit of water on the new hair to style and fluff with a bamboo skewer/forceps/small screwdriver/nail/your fingers if u like. Or not. Don't be afraid of getting the cloak/costume wet I've sprayed it with water multiple times for shaping it - no dye bleed or anything, Go ASMUS for the quality! :clap 😁 :lol

I like my Gandalfs fluffy feral with waves and curls, whatever the films were doing. 😁

Guys hurry up its back in stock again, I grabbed one as soon as I got notified via email. Thank you all, you make this hobby better! Can't wait to get it!

Congrats it's a great head, don't know what kind of wool this is but it's nice and silky. Great hat too, still surprised I like a vinyl hat this much, and it doesn't mess the hair either.

gandalf_galadriel3.jpg

ASMUS_gandalf_thor_gal_opt.jpg

EDIT: And the new sculpt is out of stock again. It's like the Hunger Games or something. :monkey3
Am vaguely debating if I want to track down another Hobbit Gandalf, or do the sane thing and just save for Thranduil. Would luv a second Crown Gandalf stand too but evilbay has it marked up too high of course, u *&^%$ Thanks ASMUS for all this fun! and please make a Dwalin or Dain 😁 .

Last edited:
Asmus, just please let us get in a preorder queue for the headsculpt. Or if you’re feeling really generous give priority to those of us who have bought both the original Hobbit Gandalf and the Crown version. I’ve missed it every time it’s gone up for order because I’m looking after a two year old child and have been on vacation. I can’t sit there and monitor my email to try and catch a 30 minute long order window.

Asmus, just please let us get in a preorder queue for the headsculpt. Or if you’re feeling really generous give priority to those of us who have bought both the original Hobbit Gandalf and the Crown version. I’ve missed it every time it’s gone up for order because I’m looking after a two year old child and have been on vacation. I can’t sit there and monitor my email to try and catch a 30 minute long order window.
try emailing them instead and maybe they will let you. They don’t check these threads like they used to. To cover themselves, you may have to pre-pay before it’s ready though.

Let me message you for detail

Yes, one of my pair is the Hobbit Gandalf - the one with a scarf.

The new head has a socket that fits over Gandalf's typical ball joint neck. Take the old head off, put on the new one. Try not to yank the entire ball peg out of the body (that happens sometimes 😁) Use a hair dryer to warm the head socket if the fit is tight. U can use a bit of water on the new hair to style and fluff with a bamboo skewer/forceps/small screwdriver/nail/your fingers if u like. Or not. Don't be afraid of getting the cloak/costume wet I've sprayed it with water multiple times for shaping it - no dye bleed or anything, Go ASMUS for the quality! :clap 😁 :lol

I like my Gandalfs fluffy feral with waves and curls, whatever the films were doing. 😁

Congrats it's a great head, don't know what kind of wool this is but it's nice and silky. Great hat too, still surprised I like a vinyl hat this much, and it doesn't mess the hair either.
Guess I completely lucked out. Was watching youtube when I got preorder email. Was on it like a tramp on chips didnt think of checking if it would fit first.

Back