Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohh sorry to dig this back up, but didn't know this discussion was also going on here. I did some digging myself and these are the only two sources on the internet that mentioned the pattern does exists on the pants. Or at least they do exists on the pants that were in display. Keep in mind the "Alley Cats Scratch" website noted that there were two different designs in two different exhibitions in 2001 and 2003.

Now since there isn't a single frame in the movie or a good photo that show the pants out there (during filming or physically at all). Hard to say if it was ever actually on there during filming/on-screen. One fellow freak did find this low res picture though in the InArt thread.

Personally I think it's either not there (just mud splatters) or the design was never prominent enough to be printed clearly like how Sideshow and Asmus did it. I'm not even a LOTR fan but just found this little detail so secretive and interesting lol.
Well *cough* I'm not inclined to go watch movies - at the moment - to take screenshots of pants, tho I'm pretty sure the stuntman/Sir Ian wasn't spinning around pantless in robes that could fly open. :monkey3 Or are you saying that the displayed movie costumes, or on set, they decided to give Gandalf plain pants/culottes, because, and then decided the displays needed special pants:banghead? Because the print would get dirty?

And are you talking about LOTR and the Hobbit movies? It seems a lot of folks could care less about the Hobbit films, but I'm a fan so "pantsgate" covers both films, for me. And neither ASMUS nor Sideshow would waste time putting on details that weren't there, because every production step is more money when making a product. As the vid link I posted points out, Sir Ian was pretty specific in having his costume degraded for a worn look. Mud, tears. Even so there's some fine embroidery (and Aragorn as well has some fine detailing on the Ranger shirt) tying their original outfits to the elves.

Yes, there are not a lot of online sources but a good place to ask might be at the One Ring who have fans who have been around a while, and probably saw the exhibits and/or might have been extras during filming. I don't have an account there. Or at Flame of Udun where there are WETA collectors. I don't know if WETA would answer a direct question, never sure what can be said re licenses or costume details. Not without paying, anyway. Or someone maybe can find the designer and MAYBE they have a social media presence. Maybe. Or heck, someone e-mail Peter Jackson or Sir Ian. Ask them for details about THE PANTS that Sir Ian worn during filming and I am going to skip that photo of Sir Ian showing off what Gandalf wore under his robes.:horror

Does it matter? Only individual collectors can answer that for themselves. Or head over to Black Ops toys and buy extra pants, they had ASMUS parts last I looked.

Last edited:
I'm carefully keeping my original as well, it's a great sculpt. I'm curious if one day I can just fill the eyes and use decals - I'm not a big fan, or user, of rolling eyeballs. I think with a good sculpt you can get a range of expressions with hats, the way the head is positioned, etc.
But I'm getting them with my latest Obi-Wan whether I want them or not. 😁
I'm toying with the idea of sculpting new fixed eyeballs and painting them.

Well *cough* I'm not inclined to go watch movies - at the moment - to take screenshots of pants, tho I'm pretty sure the stuntman/Sir Ian wasn't spinning around pantless in robes that could fly open. :monkey3 Or are you saying that the displayed movie costumes, or on set, they decided to give Gandalf plain pants/culottes, because, and then decided the displays needed special pants?

And are you talking about LOTR and the Hobbit movies? It seems a lot of folks could care less about the Hobbit films, but I'm a fan so "pantsgate" covers both films, for me. And neither ASMUS nor Sideshow would waste time putting on details that weren't there, because every production step is more money when making a product. As the vid link I posted points out, Sir Ian was pretty specific in having his costume degraded for a worn look. Mud, tears. Even so there's some fine embroidery (and Aragorn as well has some fine detailing on the Ranger shirt) tying their original outfits to the elves.

Yes, there are not a lot of online sources but a good place to ask might be at the One Ring who have fans who have been around a while, and probably saw the exhibits and/or might have been extras during filming. I don't have an account there. Or at Flame of Udun where there are WETA collectors. I don't know if WETA would answer a direct question, never sure what can be said re licenses or costume details. Not without paying, anyway. Or someone maybe can find the designer and MAYBE they have a social media presence. Maybe. Or heck, someone e-mail Peter Jackson.

Does it matter? Only individual collectors can answer that for themselves. Or head over to Black Ops toys and buy extra pants, they had ASMUS parts last I looked.
I never said he/they didn't wear pants :LOL:. I'm talking about the design being on there or not and only Fellowship of the Ring as this figure from all companies are basically based off the first movie. I already did the due diligence to watching all versions of the film and every frame of Gandalf possible to find the pants (yes I'm a mad man) so don't do it, cause it's never there.

And to your first question, I think they gave him different pants during shooting as @Kalkylen mentioned in the other thread, they did something similar with Aragon's sword belt. The design might exists "officially" and on concept arts hence why Asmus and Sideshow put this detail in their release. Happens with HT all the time too where they base their figures off of concept arts instead of the actual film.

But then again I'm only saying it probably wasn't there or prominent enough based on that one pixelated photo. Which is unfortunately the best look that is available publicly right now?

I'm having a lazy weekend so crawling through the web and watching clips of Fellowship is exactly what I've been happy to do 😅

Here is everything I can find where you can see the trousers. If the pattern is there, it's probably woven into the fabric or printed in the same navy colour as the trousers. It's definitely not bright green or yellow as on the Sideshow and Asmus versions.

At this point I'm inclined to go with the pattern not being there and happy that InArt have not included it.

P.s. check out that PS2 Gandalf during the Balrog battle... 😅

Attachments

• 8152 (3).jpg
    8152 (3).jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0440 (2).jpg
    0440 (2).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 0
  • oficial22.jpg
    oficial22.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230930_204948_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930_204948_YouTube.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230930_212718_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930_212718_YouTube.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230930_212831_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930_212831_YouTube.jpg
    967.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230930_214113_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930_214113_YouTube.jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230930_211324_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930_211324_YouTube.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230930_205552_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930_205552_YouTube.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 0
  • gandalfcarro2.jpg
    gandalfcarro2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
No they also now are offering the full Crown figure WITH the upgraded sculpt and hat. For $350.

So essentially for us fans who preordered or ordered the Crown from the very beginning have now paid more for what they are now offering to collectors now.

Yeah, that's sticks in my craw. Are they offering the upgraded hat as well? I'm happy to have those items but boy did Asmus drop the ball with what is supposed to be the first in a line of premium figures.

I'm having a lazy weekend so crawling through the web and watching clips of Fellowship is exactly what I've been happy to do 😅

Here is everything I can find where you can see the trousers. If the pattern is there, it's probably woven into the fabric or printed in the same navy colour as the trousers. It's definitely not bright green or yellow as on the Sideshow and Asmus versions.

At this point I'm inclined to go with the pattern not being there and happy that InArt have not included it.

P.s. check out that PS2 Gandalf during the Balrog battle... 😅
Good find!
From the pics, I think we can see that IF the pattern is actually there, it isn't printed strong/bright like on the Sideshow or asmus figure, and hardly noticeable.
Those screencaps can be an excellent example that the designed props don't always make it into the screen.

And I agree with you, I'm actually pleased that InArt did not include it, so it is more screen-accurate.

No they also now are offering the full Crown figure WITH the upgraded sculpt and hat. For $350.

So essentially for us fans who preordered or ordered the Crown from the very beginning have now paid more for what they are now offering to collectors now.
As much as that does suck, as a Transformer collector, this is nothing new. Both official and 3rd Party transformer companies do this all the time. As a recent example, I purchased a "limited" higher end Optimus Prime for nearly $300 and now the company has not only made an accessory pack for $70 with items that should've been included in the first place, they're also reissuing the figure with updated arms that have better articulation as well as some more accurate paneling but at the original price much like Asmus is doing here. Those of us who already have the original product have to pay an additional cost if we want the updated pieces.

Last edited:
I never said he/they didn't wear pants :LOL:. I'm talking about the design being on there or not and only Fellowship of the Ring as this figure from all companies are basically based off the first movie. I already did the due diligence to watching all versions of the film and every frame of Gandalf possible to find the pants (yes I'm a mad man) so don't do it, cause it's never there.

And to your first question, I think they gave him different pants during shooting as @Kalkylen mentioned in the other thread, they did something similar with Aragon's sword belt. The design might exists "officially" and on concept arts hence why Asmus and Sideshow put this detail in their release. Happens with HT all the time too where they base their figures off of concept arts instead of the actual film.

But then again I'm only saying it probably wasn't there or prominent enough based on that one pixelated photo. Which is unfortunately the best look that is available publicly right now?
Well, that's one thing, for me, I view all the films as a collection (with things I like and don't like about each). I also display from that viewpoint - actually mostly Hobbit oriented except for Rohan. It never occurs to me to focus on LOTR in particular. Thank you for your efforts as doing screen pauses is a bore, tho I've done it.:monkey2

I already did the due diligence to watching all versions of the film and every frame of Gandalf possible to find the pants (yes I'm a mad man) so don't do it, cause it's never there.

:lol Oh, I don't know. I once spent a good while trying to figure out if it was a foul-up (and as far as I can tell, it was) that when Thorin falls to Azog in AUJ, at the pines, Orcrist was to the right. So while the eagle picking him up is beautifully done *cinematically*, the sword is to the left. I suppose the audience isn't supposed to notice, but fans be intense I mean meticulous.:monkey3 It still bugs me how that sword hopped to his other side so the eagle could elegantly scoop it up. That, and Legolas eye color changes.😁

The best I can do at the moment:
ganpant3tst_desaturate.jpg

pantgate5.jpg

Fortunately Gandalf was wearing pants at Dol Guldur. 😁 Can't do better res right now running into that black screen/screenshot blocking.:banghead:pfft:Plus with the color grading trying to pick out details is a *&^%. And the pants and robes are mud-splattered.:monkey2 Maybe someone more tech savvy can grab some shots (sorry about the *&&^% res).:monkey2
But if that's all mud splatter it's really ARTISTIC mud splatter with little swirls.😁

Let's face it, Peter Jackson wasn't focusing his shots on Gandalf's lower end. Only time I remember is showing that kind of foot fetish is Galadriel walking in her bare feet into Dol Guldur. And Hobbit feet. But you can see more pants😁 - briefly - when Gandalf is climbing the High Fells. I don't have time to do more at the moment. (And come to think of it, if a stuntman was climbing a set, that might be not the "hero" costume, but just plain pants for the shot. The High Fells are awesome. 😁)

But yeah, for sure, at least from reading the WETA Hobbit Chronicles books, a ton of costumes are made, and weapons. Thing is tho, the Sideshow fig predates the Hobbit films, so Sideshow got the print someplace.
It didn't occur to me to distinguish between the film series.

ANYWAY. I'll readily agree the pants aren't prominent, tho for me it's interesting how billowing they really are. And the print on my Gandalf pants makes me happy :lol - because, if I'm posing him sitting, it's just that one more little touch of Middle Earth. Suspect most - probably 99.7% - will never do that.

Last edited:
I just received the new Gandalf head for my Crown figure. Unfortunately, as usual with Asmus, it's one step forward, two steps back. The sculpt is fabulous, but the beard is too short. The original Crown Gandalf had a great beard. It's so disappointing Asmus can't nail this after three tries.
IMG_2848.jpg

I’m confused. The GTG on Asmus shows pics of the new head, but lists movable eyeballs in the description. I didn’t think the new sculpt has movable eyes.
BF9D6715-C91E-445E-8C84-5400E6A2EF3E.jpeg

Maybe. But that won’t do me any good if I don’t get the one I want. It’s a wonderful improvement (to me) on the first.

If your worried you should just write them by hitting the contact button at top on their site and ask.
-they do reply.
But i doubt they would replace all the pics of the original with pics of the new sculpt, and be selling the old instead?

I did, but I got a bounce back from the site, which is weird since I know they’re really good about responding. No worries. It’ll shake out.

Frankly speaking the head look much better.
But curious that why the curve of each of the hair look difference? Mine is a bit straight but some photo you guys shown is very curve...
Nice pic!
Well, for one thing, since this is real hair, and hand applied, there's always going to be some initial differences.

The other thing is how much fluffing or futzing each owner does. I like my Gandalfs/rooted hair to look fluffy/windblown/feral so I do a lot of GENTLE spritzing with water and GENTLE fluffing with a bamboo skewer. No yanking, it's more like picking and fluffing, let dry. Don't soak just get damp.

I generally work on the lower half of the hair. U are sort of just fluffing it up - futzing. Pushing the hair into place. You can use a toothpick/anything pointy like a long thin nail, or forceps etc. Looking at yours, if it were mine, I'd spritz the lower part of the hair, and the beard, hang him upside down and shake (makes the hair fly away from the head, turn over, spritz some more (the robe can get wet, not problem) and then push the hair and beard like I wanted. Let dry. I don't like brushing as this separates the hair strands, and I want hair and beard more like separate waves e.g. not frizzy. Other folks try for more smooth hair with more brushing.

PS. The cloak can take a lot of water too, if you need to damp a lot, and push into position on the fig. Let dry. It helps to have a low fan running in the room.

Last edited:
Frankly speaking the head look much better.
But curious that why the curve of each of the hair look difference? Mine is a bit straight but some photo you guys shown is very curve...
View attachment 669089

The lamb’s wool used for each head sculpt apparently has individual variation. It’s the luck of the draw how curly or straight the hair is for each.

Back