Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gimli was my latest unboxing and he is now my favorite. (for now...) :wink1:

Wow. He is as close to a perfect figure out of the box that there has ever been. Sculpting is amazing, outfit incredible, metal weapons extraordinary and that beard... Wow again.

Here are some quick pics that really don't fully capture the shelf presence that this figure has. I could have sworn I heard him speak... "No one tosses a dwarf!"

Asmus Gimli 1 sm.jpg
Asmus Gimli 2 sm.jpg
Asmus Gimli 3 sm.jpg
Asmus Gimli 4 sm.jpg

Gimli was my latest unboxing and he is now my favorite. (for now...) :wink1:

Wow. He is as close to a perfect figure out of the box that there has ever been. Sculpting is amazing, outfit incredible, metal weapons extraordinary and that beard... Wow again.

Here are some quick pics that really don't fully capture the shelf presence that this figure has. I could have sworn I heard him speak... "No one tosses a dwarf!"

For sure a figure that is so good after the first I got a second. Wasn't even buying LOTR figs really tho there are some IMO crossovers like Gandalf, Legolas and Witch King.

I figured for the price point and sheer excellence, something like this would never be made again - the costume details, diecast axes, sculpt AND a great dwarf body. That's a lot of work for a company.

Plus I can display helmeted and unhelmeted. With an Aragorn on the horizon am glad I did; overall tho it's very rare an unplanned fig gets me to open my wallet not just once, but twice. Gimli is something IMO unique. I just wish they would do a badass Dwalin or Dain vs. all these elves:cool: Two of ASMUS' very best are dwarves, not elves.:nana: U don't get cool axes and all that leather and metal tipped boots with ELVES.

For sure a figure that is so good after the first I got a second. Wasn't even buying LOTR figs really tho there are some IMO crossovers like Gandalf, Legolas and Witch King.

I figured for the price point and sheer excellence, something like this would never be made again - the costume details, diecast axes, sculpt AND a great dwarf body. That's a lot of work for a company.

Plus I can display helmeted and unhelmeted. With an Aragorn on the horizon am glad I did; overall tho it's very rare an unplanned fig gets me to open my wallet not just once, but twice. Gimli is something IMO unique. I just wish they would do a badass Dwalin or Dain vs. all these elves:cool: Two of ASMUS' very best are dwarves, not elves.:nana: U don't get cool axes and all that leather and metal tipped boots with ELVES.

Well maybe not axes but BotFA Thranduil has metal on his boots and I think Elrond’s armor in Dol Guldur too. ;p

Those are amazing pictures! Must have this one in my collection! Asmus any word on the restock that you mentioned a couple of weeks ago?

Well maybe not axes but BotFA Thranduil has metal on his boots and I think Elrond?s armor in Dol Guldur too. ;p

Thorin has GOLD on his boots tho. He has a mithril shirt stashed up at Erebor. Dwarves have lots of luxurious layers and are strong and fierce. Even a Ring of Power doesn't affect them much. They have great hair/weapons that ASMUS does justice to. Dwarves are better.:wink1:

ASMUS_Gimli_Thorin_door.jpg

ASMUS_Gimli_Thorin_door2.jpg

ASMUS_Gimli_Thorin_door3.jpg

:cool: PS. Gimli holding some other axe I picked up - plastic but looks kinda dwarvish

Meanwhile I see no reason why ASMUS' excellent:clap "Door to Haberdashery" should be *wasted*:wink1: on Hateful Eight figs, when it can be so easily repurposed:frank into a shameless ripoff of WETA's House of Beorn poly environment:monkey3. Sort of. Just need a giant axe, some giant bees and some beehives, pots with honey, etc. Take out the boards nailing the door shut. Could also be a Laketown environment for Bard...or a set for Rohan, the Horse-Lords...heck, it could be a door to the Prancing Pony:frank)

(The Beorn scenes in the extended edition of Desolation of Smaug are favs;:love, as were the sets. Laketown was awesome too with all the fish motifs.:love

Just goes to show that ASMUS is the ONE to do a 1/6 Hobbit (Bag End) door with the fence, bench and mailbox.:pray::pray::pray:

That?s an awesome use of the Haberdashery...but ?wasted???? Asmus? Hateful 8 figures are amazing and three of my absolute favorites in my collection. :)

It would be, but hasn?t Asmus mentioned previously that they don?t have a license to produce full-blown dioramas?

Hmm I haven?t seen that post but perhaps I missed it. That?s unfortunate.

If that is the case, I wish there was a jazz inc doing middle earth pieces if Asmus can?t do dioramas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good Matt. Did you make a bashed Gimli back in the day too?

I'm not Matt but I actually did complete a bashed Gimli back when we were working on our own custom figures to complete the "Fellowship Nine" (and Bilbo).

I've proudly had it on display all of these years but it is time to retire it, as Asmus's version is simply a miniature work of art.

Quick picks from our old project days...

Gimli custom 1.jpg
bilbo 2.jpg

That?s an awesome use of the Haberdashery...but ?wasted???? Asmus? Hateful 8 figures are amazing and three of my absolute favorites in my collection. :)

Joke, seriously.:peace

Believe the Hateful 8 figs are great - just based on the guitar and stool I picked up a while ago loose, and the pics. And the Door- lots of nice features, multi-use, and doesn't weigh 50000 lbs. (Have an Iron Man and a rooftop poly diorama that are really heavy)

I just go this figure today and its awesome! However I do have some questions: Do the long axes detach at all? I don't want to risk breaking an axe in trying and I noticed the fingers are sculpted together on the hands. Also how do you place Gimli on the stand? It doesn't seem to work because he has shorter legs and his clothing has to go over the stand pole, causing him to not properly touch the ground.

My Gimli fits fine on the stand. Here is a pic showing the crotch-grabber working perfectly. I don't remember if the blades detach from the handles, though. If I remember correctly, I just stretched out the fingers enough to slide the handles into the grip hands.

Asmus Gimli 2.jpg

This is just about sold out on Asmus site, if anyone wants one and doesn't have it yet. Just got one for myself so I wouldn't miss out. Down to the last 4 there.

Gimli is one of the best figures in all of my 1/6 scale collection. I believe it is that good.

If I had to find something to pick on, and it's not really that big of a deal, would perhaps be the chainmail being flat but that does nothing to hurt my enthusiasm towards this figure. The great looking outfit, the unbelievable sculpt and paint apps, the rooted hair and beard, the metal weapons - all around a fantastic figure.

If you are on the fence about acquiring this one, I highly recommend you pull the trigger.

If I had to choose two people to take a definitive opinion from on matters on this board...it's FlyAndFight and Wor-Gar. FlyAndFight mentioned how great this figure was previously, so I've been meaning to get it. Glad I got one before it sold out.

If anyone is debating it, I would grab that last one off their sight. Can't imagine there will be another Gimli anytime in the near future.

Other than dripping the height of the neck peg, the fig comes out of the box splendidly. I've seen some folks roughen up the beard and tone down the artificial fiber shininess a bit and that looks great, but as it stands it's a great fig.

Gimli's in my top three of this line. Gimli, Thorin and Grishnakh. The specific ranking rotates, depending on my mood! :lol

(Hoping Gandalf and Galadriel give them a run for the top spots.)

Back