Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back home and able to retouch these a bit. On closer examination, the paint looks rushed, maybe to make the show. Hopefully they'll be refined. I think Sam looks pretty good.

Thanks for posting/taking the pics!

I can see both actors in there. I don't think the way they lit the figures is doing them any favors.

These weren't on display when I was on the floor this morning. Frodo looks mostly good in these photos, but Sam's face desperately needs minor tweaking. I don't understand why his face looks so much chunkier than on the renders. Hopefully these aren't finalized prototypes. :(

I hate to be negative because I really want to complete this line but these two likenesses need work. If any of the fellowship need to be spot on it's these two guys and they're just not there. If they're released in this state I may abandon the line and sell off the ones I've bought. Sorry Asmus.

Edit: on second examination Frodo is really close but maybe a bit oversized. Sam is really rough though.

I'm starting to see this line as artistic interpretation more than realistic representation. All of the head sculpts are off, but in a very similar way. Like Gangsters Kingdom, only not on purpose. The artists at Asmus have a style going, harkening back to their Ace Ventura. It's heavy handed, hard to put a finger on the "flaws" (and not to my personal taste) but it is consistent.

But yeah, if you're going to go for the gold, do it for Frodo.

Sam and Frodo are the main characters of Lord of the Rings. "Good enough" won't do for them--they need to be spot-on. We can't have a line with halfway decent Frodo and Sam and amazingly incredible Grishnakh.

Not any better than what's been posted but here
IMG_2003.JPGIMG_2006.JPG

Sam and Frodo are the main characters of Lord of the Rings. "Good enough" won't do for them--they need to be spot-on. We can't have a line with halfway decent Frodo and Sam and amazingly incredible Grishnakh.

For real.

Also: package up that phial with Frodo, to whom it was given, and give Sam his rope for the love of Iluvitar. And if Gimli doesn't come with three golden hairs, I'm flipping a table.

looks like they completely abandoned the sculpt I did for them.

This looks so much better than what they show us :(
All sculpts are bit off. I have no excitement over both of these, but I expected a different sculpt for Frodo. The one they produced looks too far from Wood's likeness.
Sam's nose is to small and narrow. Actually, for some reason both noses are quite narrow. Maybe it is a byproduct of casting?

Something is really wrong with this sculpt. Maybe it is paint that throws the likeness away, but he looks like Ramsay Bolton, not Frodo.

To be honest I think I'm done with this line. I'm not sure how anyone can think these are close. As a silhouette it looks great...those head sculpts/paint apps are off. Frodo looks like Ramsy cosplaying as frodo, and Sam had waaaay too much Lembas bread. I feel like asmus is improving but I'm not seeing it to the level I think it should be to justify spending my money. My wife is going to be ticked off that I say no more as we're both huge LOTR fans (she still adores the old SS line). I just want to complete the fellowship so badly...to be fair the outfits look great 👍🏼

Back