Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest I think I'm done with this line. I'm not sure how anyone can think these are close. As a silhouette it looks great...those head sculpts/paint apps are off. Frodo looks like Ramsy cosplaying as frodo, and Sam had waaaay too much Lembas bread. I feel like asmus is improving but I'm not seeing it to the level I think it should be to justify spending my money. My wife is going to be ticked off that I say no more as we're both huge LOTR fans (she still adores the old SS line). I just want to complete the fellowship so badly...to be fair the outfits look great 👍🏼

That's really a shame. I think Aragorn, Gandalf, Saruman, Grishnakh, and MOS have all been home runs. The human sculpts aren't 100% but they are very close. Shame to leave such a great line because the sculpts are a bit off.

I can't spot a ring Jrobertson... Are there more official pictures by Asmus? I can't seem to find anything on their FB-page or Instagram.
So how about a 4-pack Asmus? :)
I guess the biggest problems with Frodo are the colour of the eyes and the stern eyebrows. The base sculpt is ok.

I can't spot a ring Jrobertson... Are there more official pictures by Asmus? I can't seem to find anything on their FB-page or Instagram.
So how about a 4-pack Asmus? :)
I guess the biggest problems with Frodo are the colour of the eyes and the stern eyebrows. The base sculpt is ok.
One page back they posted a close up photo of Frodo.

Yea, I'm not seeing a huge issue with the sculpt either. The nose might be a bit wonky, but it's the God awful paint application that's killing it. Fortunately, paint is something Asmus can change right up to the last minute...for good or bad.

Yea, I'm not seeing a huge issue with the sculpt either. The nose might be a bit wonky, but it's the God awful paint application that's killing it. Fortunately, paint is something Asmus can change right up to the last minute...for good or bad.

Agreed. I think Caine's sculpt is really good and I like Sam as well. The paint could be improved especially on Frodo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As I said, paint the eyebrows differently (smaller?) and lighten up the eyes and it makes the figure a lot better.

Quick photoshop "softening" under-eyelids lightened, eyebrows made thinner, brow crease softened, pupils lightened a bit hard shadows on face lightened. (I know, I know - PS isn't paint and lighting, etc. etc. and it's a slippery slope, whetever. I just like to see how close it can look with little tweaks)

Attachments

• frodos-3.jpg
    frodos-3.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Quick photoshop "softening" under-eyelids lightened, eyebrows made thinner, brow crease softened, pupils lightened a bit. (I know, I know - PS isn't paint and lighting, etc. etc. and it's a slippery slope, whetever. I just like to see how close it can look with little tweaks)

View attachment 297168

That picture of the sculpt just comes across as stern and intense... which are not Frodo's traits.

If the eyebrows were raised a bit and the mouth parted slightly, it would have the expression closer to that picture.

View attachment 297109

No sir,
the head sculpt is untouched, just the hair was changed.

If that head sculpt is untouched, you've done a disservice to it with those paint apps. The original sculpt is spot on; the painted version looks nothing like Elijah Wood. The biggest flaw is the lips--both the top and bottom lip need to look thicker and fuller, especially the bottom lip, and the paint on the top lip is slightly crooked, all of which throw off the likeness. Add to that the fact that the paint apps change the expression and you have yourself a problem. What I believe he was going for with his original sculpt is a slightly relaxed, surprised expression. You know, the face that Elijah Wood constantly makes. By painting it, you've changed it to a more stern expression. This could be fixed by altering the tilt of the mouth (the corners of the mouth in the original sculpt are tilted ever so slightly upwards) and the tilt of the eyebrows. The sculpt has the eyebrows coming up slightly on the inside. ASMUS has done a very straight-edged, hard paint job, which changes the expression and the likeness entirely. The eyes also do not seem as round and youthful as they do in the original sculpt, although I'm not sure how to change this with paint. I don't know what's happened to make them look so different in this "finished" product. Elijah Wood looks much younger, less stern, and less... I don't know, gaunt? than this.

I'm not impressed at all by this, and I don't think that anyone should be. But I'm not upset or anything. I think ASMUS has plenty of time to fix this if they want to. Gandalf looks great, but I won't buy him unless I have another character to go with him, and what better character than Frodo? I hope they can get this right...

Frodo looks much better in that photo and I agree with others who are saying the paint is to blame for the offishness.

I wonder if that's the cloak he comes with. I hope so. Not a fan of the Asmus Lothlorien cloak material. Also hoping for "that shiny shirt".

Sculpts look weird at con but that new pic looks much better of Frodo. Hopefully the same for Sam. I'm in for these. Done holding back I need them both in my collection. Hopefully a Bilbo won't be too far behind.

If Caine's Frodo sculpt was untouched except for the hair, then the paint apps are killing this. The skin looks so blotchy and harsh. I'm sure Asmus will get it right in the end.

So maybe it's not the sculpting that's hindering Asmus with these figures...maybe it's their painters? Everything but the faces on these figures is perfect, it's absolutely killing me because I want to join in on this line so bad....

That's really a shame. I think Aragorn, Gandalf, Saruman, Grishnakh, and MOS have all been home runs. The human sculpts aren't 100% but they are very close. Shame to leave such a great line because the sculpts are a bit off.

MOS was the only home run out of those for me personally (haven't received Grish yet). Gandalf and Saruman were good but could have been great, all a matter of opinion I suppose. As Michael just said the Frodo sculpt is acutally spot on it's simply the paint apps that are off and paint can still be changed, so maybe I should be patient and wait it out. I would really love to own the full fellowship.

I saw Sam and Frodo today at Comic Con. Frodo's head sculpt looks decent in person, but the paint is awful. I feel like Asmus is shooting themselves in the foot putting so much work into these figures and then having the paint by so bad.

Sam... I don't know. I just am not convinced that Sean Astin was anywhere near that chunky in the movies, especially when there's a photo of him right behind the figure.

Back