Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I messaged sideshow and bbts regarding the mithril coat exclusive. Both responded indicating that their stock will NOT include the mitral coat since it seems to be an asmus website exclusive. Which is different to what asmus themselves have said i thought. Strange.

It will included in ALL pre-orders with any dealer,
so don't worry, Sideshow ones have it too.

It will included in ALL pre-orders with any dealer,
so don't worry, Sideshow ones have it too.

Really? That's great! Will have to decide if ordering from Sideshow using a discount code is worth the rewards etc, or simply ordering direct from Asmus' site is better (eg. free shipping!). But thanks for clarifying!

I wonder if there will be a "Slim" version of these two -- either separately packed or just the two figures without the pots and pans and backpacks...?

I really just want Frodo with Sting and cloak.

I wonder if there will be a "Slim" version of these two -- either separately packed or just the two figures without the pots and pans and backpacks...?

You're unfair. :mad:

There is no Frodo without Samwise the Brave.
sam-cares-for-frodo.jpg

I don't see them doing a "slim" version unless these sell really well. Maybe if they sell really well they could do a 2nd edition and swap the cloaks to pre-Lothlorien. Seeing as Aragorn hasn't been released as a slim version I don't see them doing it for the hobbits that already are slimmed down as far as accessories go.

Although if they did a slim version of Gandalf and a solo version of Frodo I could see some people grab the two of them and make that their complete 1/6 Lord of the Rings collection for under $300.

Way back in this thread I made a comment about how it looked like asmus didn't use my sculpt at all, after which they replied that they had only re-sculpted the hair. It's pretty obvious they've changed so much on my original sculpt. The nose, lips, chin, hair. I really can't see my sculpt in there at all.

I bring this up because I spent months working on this portrait, mainly because their art director was very particular about the look of the sculpt. I was fine with that, and once it was finished I was very proud of the final piece. I really don't know why they felt they needed to change the sculpt. I was really excited to contribute to this character and have a licensed product available that I had worked on, but I'm bummed that things turned out the way they did.

It's a real shame... so far they seem to have butchered two excellent sculpts from you. It seems like the Kurt Russel has survived... but even in a recent image I saw their was an unpainted head with a beard in a different material.

It seems like Asmus has a habit of over-tweeking sculpts to the point that the loose a likeness... I can remember some of the shots of Aragorn that looked really good, but then the final product (while still pretty good) looked pretty off to me.

Is that what they did? I thought they under estimated the demand and did a second production run.

That's what I thought they did, too.

pretty sure he sold out.

Perhaps I should have said the "Slim" Gandalf then. :lol

I have no idea about Saruman sales. Not sure were you look to see that he sold out other than specific retailers, and that doesn't tell you if the manufacturer sold out. I doubt Sideshow takes a very large order so a sell-out is attainable. They have enough unsold HT product to worry about.

I have no idea about Saruman sales. Not sure were you look to see that he sold out other than specific retailers, and that doesn't tell you if the manufacturer sold out. I doubt Sideshow takes a very large order so a sell-out is attainable. They have enough unsold HT product to worry about.

I'm pretty sure it was another factory run. Demand increased because of Christopher Lee's passing, IIRC, and stocks of the original figure had dried up. I could be wrong.

Like I said, I have no idea about sales. Just guessing. Seemed to me like the "Slim" was a good way to get rid of excess merchandise.

Believe me, I hope all of Asmus' LOTR figures sell out. It's good for the line.

Seeing this pop up at European online shops for the bewildering price of 280-300 EUR. That's a hefty penny to pay. I'm very happy with my GtG but not sure that this price will justify the flaws...

Seeing this pop up at European online shops for the bewildering price of 280-300 EUR. That's a hefty penny to pay. I'm very happy with my GtG but not sure that this price will justify the flaws...

Yep, made me laugh. Shudder to think what price Legolas, Gimli, Boromir will fetch when they are finally up for order.

There are barely any pictures of the ring but I'd be surprised if it wasn't on a chain. The specs aren't very useful in determining that though.

Agreed, the spec sheet is super vague about the ring "one ring holding and one ring wearing hand" I'm hoping the ring is diecast and there gotta be a necklace for it. I asked asmus on ig but they never replied....wait and see I guess

Back