Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The exclusive item! Here it is
c039c69beedb3f153f37b0d57efe4c8e.jpg

The likeness is off...:monkey3

Is Sideshow going to be carrying these two? I know they aren't carrying Thranduil, but I figured that's only because he's a Hobbit figure.

Wish it was real mithril. Then I could get two sets and use the extra one to fund my collecting habits and then some.

I'd settle for real metal of any type. It looks like silver thread. At least it will be light as real Mithril at that scale but a finger would go through it let alone an Ork's spear.

It's funny. There's a lot of "Sam is ok but Frodo is horrible" and a lot of "Frodo is ok but Sam is horrible" posts regarding the sculpts.

There's yet to be any kind of consensus on either of these being passable. What a shame. What a mess.

So much negativity in here, man, these figures look really nice. They're not perfect but no figure is....they look better than merry and pippin and most people really liked them once they got them in hand. I hear all this "looks terrible" "ss did it better 10 years ago" but I'd bet half the people complaining the loudest will still get the set and love them once they have them. No figure is perfect and I'd rather have these very nice looking and totally recognizable figures than no figures at all

So much negativity in here, man, these figures look really nice. They're not perfect but no figure is....they look better than merry and pippin and most people really liked them once they got them in hand. I hear all this "looks terrible" "ss did it better 10 years ago" but I'd bet half the people complaining the loudest will still get the set and love them once they have them. No figure is perfect and I'd rather have these very nice looking and totally recognizable figures than no figures at all

Agreed.

Sure, there are things about this set I would love them to tweak or change, but if they look like this on my shelf (or better), I'll be totally fine with that.

(Rosy cheeks aside, I really like Merry and Pippin.)

Likeness is arguably the most important part of a sixth scale figure. At the price point being charged, the likeness needs to be better. If Hot Toys, Sideshow and Star Ace can produce something that at least looks pretty accurate, Asmus should up their game and get it right too, or slash the price big time. The concern is that these figures are still going to be $175 each, when they shouldn't be over $100. These don't match up next to the companies that justify the price with high quality sculpts and features.

Randomnero, hot toys yoda is $200 and people lost their minds over his jowls, Han and Chewie are $520, fin and trooper is $360, if hot toys was doing two packs for $239 I'd probably be like "come on asmus, you could do a little better". People bashed Finn cause of production vs proto and he's too tall. Likeness isn't the only part of 1/6 collecting, it's a big part but so are the highly detailed outfits and accessories. The head sculpts aren't perfect but both Sam and frodo look 100% better in the likeness department than some recent star ace releases. All you're asking for is "pretty accurate" well these are pretty accurate. If it's all about the perfect head sculpt just collect 1/6 custom heads....I just want a really nice representation of the fellowship and a few of saurons minions (and sauron himself). It's just especially tiresome when asmus is really cool with this community and interact and people post page after page of negative comments.

I agree that likeness should be better (I still hope there could be way of getting first version Gandalf and Frodo sculpts, may be for GtW substitute and Frodo extension pack), but Asmus' pricing is OK.

The likeness on these are off. That's a fact.

Asmus' pricing is VERY reasonable comparitively...that's a fact.

Value as it relates to accuracy will always be subjective...that's a fact.

Bottom line: All positions/opinions are valid here.

I am buying these and I think they are not great sculpts but they are good. I'm sure, much like Merry and Pippen, they will be sufficiently better in hand. I was about as disappointed with the sculpts shown on those two as I am with these two but wow what a pleasant surprise it was to have them in hand and see that they looked wayy more accurate than I had previously thought they were.

Hopefully, Asmus will deliver in the same manner again.

Back