Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so I'm definitely late to the party here. But have my Crown Series Gandalf and was wondering if there was any word on a Crown Series Frodo ?

Those two would be enough representation of LOTR in my limited space.

Clearly no Crown Frodo soon as they just reissued the previous effort.

Didn't someone from Asmus say recently that there is no plan to do Frodo as a Crown offering any time soon?

Clearly no Crown Frodo soon as they just reissued the previous effort.

Didn't someone from Asmus say recently that there is no plan to do Frodo as a Crown offering any time soon?

Thanks for the reply. I think I did hear Galadrial might be the next. Not sure if she was Crown Series or not ?

But you're right if they have just released a Frodo update then that's not so promising.

You'd have to assume they'd be concentrating on the main characters for Crown Series though. They could probably bend my arm for a Crown Series Aragorn. I'd make space ! :lol

I think a Crown series Aragorn or Legolas is the most logical -- despite the fact they offered recent variants.

But who knows how well the Crown Gandalf really did. If they consider it unsuccessful or had too many complaints after the fact then perhaps they will hold off on the next one or simply discontinue the plan like they did with the Build-an-Orc.

I'm still waiting to hear about the option to buy the head alone for those who purchased their previous Gandalf. I hope that doesn't become another Frodo thing.

They've said a Crown Gandalf the White was planned. That was a while back, though, so I don't know if that's still the plan, or whether it's going to be the next one. I haven't heard anything about a potential Crown Galadriel. Where was that mentioned?

I thought they'd said they were planning a Black Gate Aragorn figure (not for this year), but that it wasn't intended to be a Crown release. I could be mis-remembering that, though. That said, a Crown ROTK Aragorn would be tops on my list. (Asmus, if that doesn't sound fancy enough to merit the Crown label ... throw in a horse!)

I'd also love a Crown Saruman. People love the original Saruman release, but the sculpt never looked good to my eye and I hated the way they handled the rooted hair.

Well that's good to know, so still worth getting the replacement head.

I truly wish I could get that v2 head with the original blue eyes. That's a treasure for those who have it.

Definitely worth getting the replacement head. It definitely looks pretty good in davejames' pics. Now we have to hope that the replacement heads will be at least as good as the V5 and not a new V6 that drops in quality...

I think a Crown series Aragorn or Legolas is the most logical -- despite the fact they offered recent variants.

But who knows how well the Crown Gandalf really did. If they consider it unsuccessful or had too many complaints after the fact then perhaps they will hold off on the next one or simply discontinue the plan like they did with the Build-an-Orc.

I'm still waiting to hear about the option to buy the head alone for those who purchased their previous Gandalf. I hope that doesn't become another Frodo thing.

Yea being as we haven’t heard anything about the next crown figure I’m wondering if it was more trouble than it was worth.

Last edited:
Well I got a reply from Asmus today... and apparently all of the vests are like this in the current release, and they just never bothered to check until now. Lol

So looks like I'm going to have to dye it myself after all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-060129_Messenger_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-060129_Messenger_1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 67
Well I got a reply from Asmus today... and apparently all of the vests are like this in the current release, and they just never bothered to check until now. Lol

So looks like I'm going to have to dye it myself after all.

Oh man. I guess FlyAndFight got lucky with his new one... or he got an old one left over in stock.

Yeah I'm kinda kicking myself as I had a chance to buy the previous version on FB for a good price, but passed as I figured the newer release would naturally be just as good or better.

But that's OK, I was planning to weather up the outfit anyway, so this will just be one extra step to take.

It is amazing that Asmus other reissues are basically the same, yet Frodo consistently changes from offering to offering.

This new outfit change would make V6.

Oh man. I guess FlyAndFight got lucky with his new one... or he got an old one left over in stock.
Oh no. Mine is from the Slim V.1 release. It's not from the new release.

It looks like first adopters are the ones winning lately. Same goes for Sideshow figures. (Mytho Ben Kenobi, for example.)

I don't know about that. I pre-ordered the v1 right out of the gates. Then pre-ordered the replacement head when they put that up. Green/brown eyes, pallid skin. Still grumpy about it.

If I just wanted to have the eyes repainted on the new head ... whenever I get it ... can anybody recommend a painter?

Oh no. Mine is from the Slim V.1 release. It's not from the new release.

It looks like first adopters are the ones winning lately. Same goes for Sideshow figures. (Mytho Ben Kenobi, for example.)
What is the problem with Mythos Ben?

Last edited:
It has been centuries since the last time I checked this thread, and Asmus seems to have put out even more variations.
Haven't they been able to get Frodo perfect yet? Whatever happened to the plain hair, brown eyes, pale skin of yore? Are they really gone for good?

I can’t believe they are so crappy ...
Thanks buddy.
BTW, what is the current state of affairs with Frodo and Sam. Which version is best, if any?
My personal opinion is the first batch of the Slim. It had the new head sculpt and the bluer eyes. For Sam, both are off to me but the Slim is better sculpt-wise. I think the hollow head may be part of the problem. I have seen some people mess with it and make it look a lot better (again in my opinion). One thing to be aware of though is that the first releases (not the Slim ones) came with more stuff.

My personal opinion is the first batch of the Slim. It had the new head sculpt and the bluer eyes. For Sam, both are off to me but the Slim is better sculpt-wise. I think the hollow head may be part of the problem. I have seen some people mess with it and make it look a lot better (again in my opinion). One thing to be aware of though is that the first releases (not the Slim ones) came with more stuff.
That's what I remembered.
The hair was also best, right?
But you mean head-related problems haven't been solved in spite of all batches ever since?

Any problems concerning outfit or accessories?

Thanks buddy.

Back