Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is very odd to me that Asmus felt they needed to tone down the blue when Elijah Wood has some of the bluest eyes in a movie dominated by lots of blue eyes. Every photo of him has no yellow flecks or pigment, it is all very deep rich blue coloration.

If my memory is correct when the movies came out there were even complaints about how blue the eyes were and how no one?s eyes could be that blue.

Well even if the color is off, these still look massively better than the cheesy, bright blue eye decals used on Crown Gandalf, so I think they made the right call there. We're not exactly talking about a 357 Department paint job here.

I wasn't expecting 357 paintwork but I was expecting it to look like the pictures advertising the figure I purchased. I'm sure you agree that when you have a specific paintjob and advertise such and then deliver something different and inferior, as was done three years ago, that is a problem for the consumer. Up until recently, Asmus had the same blue-eyed pictures on its website selling the upgraded v2 Frodo... which in reality had the eyes you received. The pictures have now been corrected so there is no problem for future sales, except perhaps for those who had purchased based on the previous pictures.

Same can now be applied to the color of the vest in photos versus what you actually receive.

Definite improvement from Slim 2.0 but Slim 1.0 still has the better overall look.

What makes it even more strange is that the Slim head sculpt is fantastic. It even photographs great, aside from the paint apps.

As for the outfit, mine has a reddish-brown vest, wood-brown coat and dark tan pants. All three are different colors.

Crappy pic shot through glass (and I just noticed his belt is loose. Need to fix his outfit up.):

frodo.jpg

Yup that's what I was hoping for. It may not be the most exciting outfit, but it's got some nice color variation in it that should make it really pop on display. So it's frustrating how they've gone and made the whole thing the same solid boring brown.

Of course it's also obvious that the proportions are completely off as well, since it doesn't look like just a regular guy shrunken down like it should, but that part I can live with. ;)

sK36jcn.jpg

Definite improvement from Slim 2.0 but Slim 1.0 still has the better overall look.

What makes it even more strange is that the Slim head sculpt is fantastic. It even photographs great, aside from the paint apps.

As for the outfit, mine has a reddish-brown vest, wood-brown coat and dark tan pants. All three are different colors.

Crappy pic shot through glass (and I just noticed his belt is loose. Need to fix his outfit up.):

View attachment 514475

Thanks for the confirmation! That's good to see.

And also the eys look "bluer" on your picture.

Did you order directly from Asmus?

I think I may be confused by the terms... are you saying that the Frodo from 3 years ago with the green eyes is better than this newer version? Or the original Frodo with the blue eyes is better?

I think he is saying the new batch is better than the green eyes but first batch of the slim that still had the blue was the best. I could be wrong but that is how I understood it.

I think I may be confused by the terms... are you saying that the Frodo from 3 years ago with the green eyes is better than this newer version? Or the original Frodo with the blue eyes is better?

I think he is saying the new batch is better than the green eyes but first batch of the slim that still had the blue was the best. I could be wrong but that is how I understood it.

Ha! I can definitely see how it can be confusing. Let me try to break it down:

1. Original Frodo release.
2. Original "Slim 1.0" Frodo release (The blue-eyed Frodo I have).
3. Second "Slim 2.0" Frodo release (Pale paint apps with green eyes)
4. Third "Slim 3.0" Frodo release (This latest release from Asmus)

Thanks.

1. Original Frodo release.
2. Original "Slim 1.0" Frodo release (The blue-eyed Frodo I have).
3. Second "Slim 2.0" Frodo release (Pale paint apps with green eyes that Wor-Gar owns )
4. Third "Slim 3.0" Frodo release (This latest release from Asmus)

(Added a bit for clarity) :monkey3

Where did the new heads happen? I want to say somewhere around 1.5 or 2.5? They changed the sculpt entirely and people who bought the original Frodo could buy the new heads separately. That's what I did. The original Frodo head looks a bit like Ramsay Bolton but has bright blue eyes. The replacement head I received (the sculpt all the other releases have used since) has a better likeness, but also has green eyes and sickly skin tones.

Last edited:
I guess I have slim 1.0 Frodo with the blue eyes, unless there’s a major improvement I think I’ll stick with that one.

Where did the new heads happen? I want to say somewhere around 1.5 or 2.5? They changed the sculpt entirely and people who bought the original Frodo could buy the new heads separately. That's what I did.

The sculpt changed between the original “full” release and the first batch of the “Slim” version (or Slim 1.0 as its being referred to).
The replacement heads, as well as the second batch of Slim figures (or Slim 2.0) had the changed eye paint and sickly pallor.

So the original Frodo sculpt only had the one release, the original full figure.
Every version since has featured the improved sculpt.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarity guys!

Yes, I got the early (perhaps the first) Slim which had the (at the time) new paintjob (pale, lightly painted hair, dark green eyes)... and that new Slim head was also the Expansion head for those looking to replace their square-jawed original Frodo with the new sculpt.

Those who got that very early Slim with the new sculpt but the old paint got a great figure that has never been reproduced since. No idea why.

So let's see just how many versions of Frodo there are in the world:

v1 - original sculpt Frodo (square jaw) - 2016
v2 - new sculpt - blue eyes - 2017
v3 - new sculpt - dark green/brown eyes - pale complexion - thinly painted hair - 2018
v4 - new sculpt - blue eyes with brown star - healthy complexion - 2019 (very small batch)
v5 - (current) new sculpt - dark blue/grey eyes - healthy skin tone - 2021

Last edited:
3. Second "Slim 2.0" Frodo release (Pale paint apps with green eyes that Wor-Gar owns )
(Added a bit for clarity) :monkey3

Ouch! :monkey5

Thanks for the clarity guys!

Yes, I got the early (perhaps the first) Slim which had the (at the time) new paintjob (pale, lightly painted hair, dark green eyes)... and that new Slim head was also the Expansion head for those looking to replace their square-jawed original Frodo with the new sculpt.

Those who got that very early Slim with the new sculpt but the old paint got a great figure that has never been reproduced since. No idea why.

So let's see just how many versions of Frodo there are in the world:

v1 - original sculpt Frodo (square jaw) - 2016
v2 - new sculpt - blue eyes - 2017
v3 - new sculpt - dark green/brown eyes - pale complexion - thinly painted hair (that Wor-Gar owns) - 2018
v4 - new sculpt - blue eyes with brown star - healthy complexion - 2019 (very small batch)
v5 - (current) new sculpt - dark blue/grey eyes - healthy skin tone - 2021

Aha! I missed v4.

I think the V5 eyes are definitely an improvement from V3 but I wish they were more realistically painted or decaled, whatever process they are using. Those "stars" just throw it off.

I think the V5 eyes are definitely an improvement from V3 but I wish they were more realistically painted or decaled, whatever process they are using. Those "stars" just throw it off.

Well that's good to know, so still worth getting the replacement head.

I truly wish I could get that v2 head with the original blue eyes. That's a treasure for those who have it.

Back