Art Figures: The King

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine came usps.

For those of you who think you don't have an evenstar, mine was around the neck and I tried turning it and it went completely down his neck. I probably won't be able to get it out. The head on mine is very loose and has a big gap all the way around the neck. I'm afraid to remove the head for fear it won't go back on since it doesn't seem to be on a peg.

For the price this is a nice figure and I like the sculpt better than I thought, but like the clothes less. The holes in the hands aren't too nice either. :lol

But....it's not Hot Toys, so I'm happy with it.

Thanks, and I'm glad it came in!

Just got him. I can tell he's gonna be a bit$h and a half to futz, but I think the clothes have great potential. :)

Can you guys post pics?
I've been curious about the figure, but just having a hard time deciding.
From the proto pics, the outfit and accessories look excellent, but I'm having a hard time with the sculpt.
The paint looks great but the likeness is off.

Can you guys post pics?
I've been curious about the figure, but just having a hard time deciding.
From the proto pics, the outfit and accessories look excellent, but I'm having a hard time with the sculpt.
The paint looks great but the likeness is off.
Well you pretty much described the figure to a T. If you can't deal with the head sculpt being off then don't buy it. The head sculpt looks nothing like Aragorn. I am not anywhere near ready to assemble mine but I could probably snap some pics of his head sculpt later if no one else does.

ETA I wouldn't wait to long to make your mind up or you may miss it or have to pick it up on Ebay.

Dose Monkey Depot usually take longer than VP? I bought one from each and only got the one from VP today.

Dose Monkey Depot usually take longer than VP? I bought one from each and only got the one from VP today.

False alarm. Monkey Depot uses Fed Ex, and he showed up later this afternoon, so I got both of them now. The production seems very consistent.

IMG_8012.jpg

IMG_7989.jpg

IMG_7999.jpg

IMG_7990.jpg

IMG_7986.jpg

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8025.jpg

Wow Maglor, great pics!

Thanks. :)

Great stuff, Mags! :clap

I love how the cape looks.

Thanks man, the cape is great. Actually, the whole outfit is great. It really sells the scale well - much better than the Sideshow figures. Sideshow's Boromir, for example, has pretty much the same kind of tunic, but it looks so puffy and doll-like compared to this. And I love the way all of the clothes fasten together. The real button holes instead of snaps are awesome, and the design for the belt buckle is one of the coolest I have ever seen.

Although this guy isn't up to Hot Toys standards, it's much closer to Hot Toys than it is to Sideshow. Art Figures really did an excellent job on every aspect of this figure. The paint aps are stellar, not only on the face but also the accessories. Some of the parts that are supposed to be metal look so real. I'm even pretty happy with the likeness. As we've all said it's not exactly Viggo, but I think it looks like him enough for the character to be instantly recognizable. I can't say as much for the Sideshow figure.

The body is great too. It's very much like working with a True Type. It's not restrictive at all, and the joints are plenty tight. I think I even like the bendy hands. Although If I decide I don't it's an easy swap with Hot Toys hands as others have said. With a little work, I think I'll be able to get the hands in a very natural position.

I wont deny that the outfit is one of the hardest I've ever had to futz (and I'm only in stage 1 futzing :lol). The long red vest thing would be next to impossible to fasten without a pointed tweezers. I'm not complaining though, as I love futzing figures and it's part of why I don't like statues. Now when I look at him on the shelf I see the work that I put into him, almost like a kit. Futzing technique together with posing options are why I will always prefer figures to statues.

The only have two real complaints about this figure.

1) The eye's sometimes look a little crossed. Both of my figures have this problem a little. I'm not sure if this is a paint issue or a sculpt issue. I think the sculpt was done with the eyes sunk in a little too far towards the midline. However, with the lighting I have him in, you don't see this problem at all.

2) I wish there was some ankle articulation. It's difficult to get him in a natural looking pose where he doesn't want to fall over. With the pose he's in in my pics he's rock solid, but if you look at his left leg you can see that it's not flat on the base. If there was a little ankle articulation that wouldn't be an issue. All of the Sideshow LOTR figures have this problem as well (with the exception of Frodo and Sam who are barefoot and had bodies designed by Hot Toys). As far as I know, only Hot Toy's has managed to make booted feet with ankle articulation, and even they don't always [Superman, Batman - ankle articulation, Scarecrow - no ankle articulation].

Those are the only two real criticisms I can think of. Overall a great figure, and an excellent value that is rare to come by these days. :)

It's funny, when I started replying to Gipetto I had no intention of writing a review. I guess I just can't help but gush for this guy. :D

Thx for the pics and review Mags.
The figure looks amazing.

The eyes looking like they're crossed was something I was concerned even on the earlier pics.
I am normally forgiviving on likeness. I would have been happy with the earlier reeve superman and avengers thor (though I'm happy with the revision) but I'm having a hard time biting the bullet on this one.
Everything else looks amazing, it's something on my list at the moment, and maybe later, I may just give in and snag one.

The eyes looking like they're crossed was something I was concerned even on the earlier pics.

Yep, same here. It's the sculpt more than the paint I think.

I am normally forgiviving on likeness. I would have been happy with the earlier reeve superman and avengers thor (though I'm happy with the revision) but I'm having a hard time biting the bullet on this one.
Everything else looks amazing, it's something on my list at the moment, and maybe later, I may just give in and snag one.

I think the reason I'm so forgiving of the likeness is that I'm a fan of the books before I'm a fan of the movies, so my mental picture of Aragorn is not married to Viggo Mortensen. Just having such a well made Kingly figure with the tree and stars on his chest makes me giddy. :)

I look at the shelf and I see Aragorn son of Arathorn.

Back