are Seagate external hard drives durable?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crows

Super Freak
Reaction score
I wanted to get a hard drive to store files and pictures, But I really don't know which one to get.
I was thinking about getting a 1tb Seagate drive I saw but reviews for it have been mostly negative.
Does anyone know how reliable seagate drives are? I keep reading comments about drives that died within 6 months of usage?

or is there a better option than getting a seagate hard drive?

I don't think you can really point at one as being better than the other.

Based on what I have heard...there are as many people who have problems with one as there are that have problems with the other.

I find it to be interesting that it seems that everyone who has had trouble has had that trouble with one brand or the other. You rarely hear about anyone having had trouble with both.

I have had 4 or 5 of each because I buy one for each project that I work on (I grab what is convenient because I do not pay for them, work does) and I have never had problems with either brand.

I just had a 4TB Seagate that I used for all of my entertainment fail on me taking with it 1.5TB of content. Only about 75% of which was redundantly backed up. The drive was less than a year old. I had just purchased a WD 2TB to dupe the content, but alas too late. So short answer is I will never get another Seagate.

So WD is better then? That's good to know I guess.

I also noticed, someone on another site mentioned that WD has a 5 year warranty? While seagate only covers one year?

is this true?

I don't think you can really point at one as being better than the other.

Based on what I have heard...there are as many people who have problems with one as there are that have problems with the other.

I find it to be interesting that it seems that everyone who has had trouble has had that trouble with one brand or the other. You rarely hear about anyone having had trouble with both.

I have had 4 or 5 of each because I buy one for each project that I work on (I grab what is convenient because I do not pay for them, work does) and I have never had problems with either brand.

yeah, seems like everything out there has people that had problems with it. That's true.

About the ones you used at work, how much space did they have? I have read that the 1TB drives break often?

It's like UPS vs FedEx. They both are good and both suck. Had a Seagate stop working after a month and 1tb WD that decided to format itself.

What I do is search for the drives on Amazon. They usually have really good reviews and people tend to update them 3 to 6 months out (which are really important). When my first drive died I went with a WD based on reviews and warranty.

yeah, seems like everything out there has people that had problems with it. That's true.

About the ones you used at work, how much space did they have? I have read that the 1TB drives break often?

I have not needed anything as big as a TB. 750 GB is the largest I bought. I will need to save a great deal of real-time x-ray on my next project, so I will be getting a TB or larger. But I am not going to choose one brand over the other. What ever is more convenient will get bought.

I have not needed anything as big as a TB. 750 GB is the largest I bought. I will need to save a great deal of real-time x-ray on my next project, so I will be getting a TB or larger. But I am not going to choose one brand over the other. What ever is more convenient will get bought.

my friend who is a chef likes to make dinner for his friends. we went to dinner the other night at his house and he made home made pizza, a specialty called pizza caprice. he decided to give another company that makes the dough a chance because they were convenient and it turned out that his specialty was awful with the new company. he was unhappy and will go with the company that has always been consistent in the future. lesson learned.

Last edited:
We used Western Digitals in the Sideshow Graphics and Photo departments (and I think other departments as well) and I use WD now. I don't trust anyone else, but that's just my opinion.

I was reading what people said and so far the bad things with WD are:

Power supply problem, a fair amount of people were saying the computer sometimes doesn't supply the drive with enough power making it not work.
I also saw that the cable is delicate and breaks often. And some people were saying that the software made their computers freeze and malfunction. (Also that WD doesn't work with older computers?)

I had a question, Do you need to use the software that WD brings? or can you use the drive like a regular USB drive? (copy and paste files) Because I was reading that you can only use the WD drive with the software? that it won't let you just drop your files?

As for seagate, the stuff I saw was that they break more often than WD but they don't have the power supply or software issues that WD has. but they don't last as long.

That's just what I have been able to put together from many reviews I saw. I was going to get the WD but the power thing and the software problems made me doubt the purchase. I still have not bought anything :gah:

Back