Anyone into the Darkhorse Aliens, Predator, and AVP comics?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im convinced!! Ive gotta buy one of these right now!!

which one should I read first??

Aliens Omnibus, Vol. 1
Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus, Vol. 1

To be honest, I haven't finished reading Aliens Omnibus Vol 1 yet, but it's good so far, not as action packed as AVP vol 1. I'd recommend you start with whichever universe you like the most, whether it be Aliens, Predator, or the mixing of the two. I started with the AVP omnibus vol 1, but I loved it so much that my collection has grown to what is is now (see my first post), and I plan on getting them all as they are released. I hope this helps. :)

*bump* for Praetorian... did you ever end up getting any of the omnibuses, man? :)

*bump* for Praetorian... did you ever end up getting any of the omnibuses, man? :)

sup man :)

thanks for askin!

yeah I ended up ordering the Alien vs Predator Omnibus Vol 1 from Amazon over the weekend - hopefully I'll be getting it in the mail at the end of this coming week. I figured I would start with that one and see if I like it and then move on from there. I almost ordered the Alien Omnibus Vol 1 also but decided to get the "ADI: Inside the Monster Shop AVP-R making of" book instead.

Cool man, I don't think you'll be disappointed by AVP vol 1. :) After I finish reading Aliens vol 1 & 2, I'll be re-reading AVP. ;)

The AvP series, I think it was called "The Deadliest of Species", the one with the "Ash Parnal" character, that was by far the worst. Slow story and very confusing, no action till the last 2 or 3 issues, just terrible. And the series ran for something like 10 or 12 issues, so I kept buying each one with the hope of the story picking up.:censored

The AvP series, I think it was called "The Deadliest of Species", the one with the "Ash Parnal" character, that was by far the worst. Slow story and very confusing, no action till the last 2 or 3 issues, just terrible. And the series ran for something like 10 or 12 issues, so I kept buying each one with the hope of the story picking up.:censored

Aside from a few scattered comics purchases as a child, which I liked more for the cover art than the story, my only foray into the aliens comics has been with the omnibuses.. Because I got the stories as a packaged unit, I didn't mind the lulls in the action in some of the stories, though I certainly did notice them. Then again, I'm a person who reads more literature than comics, so I enjoy the parts of the comics that add to the backstory. I can definitely see how following the story one issue at a time over several weeks would be really frustrating, though.

I've never been much into the comics universe for Alien, but here's a few I've found very enjoyable:

- Alchemy
- Stronghold
- Aliens vs. Judge Dredd

Somehow I didn't really like the whole Aliens sequels on comics. The story was way too convoluted and the art made it very difficult to follow the story (mainly because it is almost impossible to tell the characters apart). I'm not really sure how the story-arc goes anymore, each time I try to read them again, I get bored. Besides, all the name changes, both in title and characters, make reading the comics even more confusing.

Anyway, of the three mentioned above, the best one IMHO easily is Alchemy. Just look at the sequence of the sermon and how Corben (the artist) manages the visuals and I think you'll agree that it is simply amazing. The story is very well written and truly touching sometimes.
Stronghold and Judge Dredd are simply fun to read and the art is clean and perfectly executed. Not the crap seen on Outbreak (AKA Aliens Book One), Nightmare Asylum (AKA Aliens Book Two) and Female War (AKA Aliens Book Three and Earth War). Although, to be fair, the third is the best in execution.
I also have Aliens Hive, which I find so-so, both in terms of story and art.

Im into the Steve Perry novelizations and such i have

Aliens Vs Predator : Prey
Aliens Vs Predator : War
Aliens Vs Predator : Hunters Planet
AVP Movie novelization
Aliens: Alien Harvest
Aliens: Original Sin
Aliens: Earth Hive
Aliens: Cauldron

They (Darkhorse) lost me when they started to pit the Aliens against anything and everything.

Batman
Superman
Wildcats
Terminator

One was fine but come on, they were just getting carried away with the whole thing.

Im into the Steve Perry novelizations and such i have

Aliens Vs Predator : Prey
Aliens Vs Predator : War
Aliens Vs Predator : Hunters Planet
AVP Movie novelization
Aliens: Alien Harvest
Aliens: Original Sin
Aliens: Earth Hive
Aliens: Cauldron

Nice! I LOVE the Steve Perry novels. I had Prey, War, and Hunters Planet a long time ago but was only borrowing them from a friend. I'd like to buy them so that I can re-read those awesome stories.

BTW, does anybody know where I could get Salvation and Sacrifice?
I hear it's arguably (Salvation) the best aliens comic out there, but it is long out of print...

Although i dont mine the comics, i find paperbacks are a much better read

I'm actually inclined to agree with you. I'm more of a book-reader myself. In fact, the Darkhorse Aliens, AVP, and Predator Omnibuses are the only comics I own. I really do need to get a hold of some of those books again. :rock2

The comics are ok but i find the pictures plus the text kind of jump from one thing to another quite quickly. I lke to read something thats indepth to work a vision of what i think is happening in my mind

Back